Please help - stupid mistake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tenshuu

Sep 24, 2014
Maine
So this morning I got up and started taking apart my 2005 Englander pdvc -25 pellet stove so I could take a look at the convection blower...

I disconnected auger wires and blower wires, and removed the control board so I had room to work....

Well stupid me didn't unplug the stove before doing all this - I got a spark off of the auger wires, quickly unplugged the stove, but I'm pretty sure that spark was all it took to blow a fuse... Or kill my control board....
Everything got put back togetheR, and when plugged in, the stove will not turn on at all.... No control board lights even...

Basically asking for what I'm going to need to replace... Unfortunately tech support is closed on weekends

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Edit: I took some foil to test and see if it was the fuse I blew - I think I'm good now, heading to radio shack tomorrow to pick up a replacement 5a 125v fuse. crisis averted. Using the oil furnace for the night lol

Last edited:
first check your fuse box/breaker box/ main entrance ........... probably tripped a breaker right there ....................

first check your fuse box/breaker box/ main entrance ........... probably tripped a breaker right there ....................

Thanks! I was just flustered and pissed at myself when I posted before checking stuff out. Breaker stayed good, but the fuse on the board was completely shot, put foil around it to see if the board would light up - problem found.

Just gotta pick up a new fuse in the morning

That right there is why they recommend unplugging the cord .................

Reactions: bags
Well I didn't call it an intelligent move now did I? Pretty aware I screwed up. Accidents happen when you're low on sleep and try to be proactive sometimes.... The stove had been off the entire night, thought I had unplugged it the night before because I planned on cleaning in the morning, so I just went to town on it.... Woops. Better a 3-4 dollar fix than a 300 dollar fix...

My stove is like a third hand stove, didn't originally come with OAK, exhaust, or instruction manual, and I'm sure the were lots of warning stickers too, a couple are peeling off lol.

Reactions: bags
Glad it was a cheap mistake. Bet you remember (and triple check) next time.

You dodged the control board-bullet on that one...glad you got lucky!:cool:

Well I didn't call it an intelligent move now did I?

Ha ha ha! You two just made my day! Funny stuff! Glad the joke wasn't costly. We all do stupid stuff at times. Thanks for the chuckle fellas!

Reactions: tenshuu
Glad it was a simple fix! And bonus point for coming out and admitting you goofed. We've all done it...but not always post about it.

Reactions: tenshuu
Status
Not open for further replies.