Please help select appropriate wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

spuds_mom13

Sep 30, 2024
Indiana
I am having a new wood stove installed in a month. My house is just over 10 years old with a heat pump; moderately sized at 1300 sq ft. I've got family that has Drolet and Buck, which they love. The company installing my wood stove said those are "lesser" brands and solely recommended Osburn. I did ask about Lopi and they said that was good too. They said never buy a stove from a big-box store because they all smoke. However, when I was out shopping around today at various fireplace/stove stores I learned that Osburn has welds, Lopi and Quadra-fire do not. I'm a single mother. I have saved for quite awhile to be able to afford this. I do not intend to use as a primary heat source - and I don't want to burn our house down. My son has asthma so minimizing the amount of smoke indoors is important. I have to make a decision asap on what to get. I don't want to overdo it. Do I really need an Osburn 2000 for such a small house??? The installer told me I will be unhappy with the Osburn 1700 because of firewood size, yet I'm understanding lumber mills sell at 16" for ricks and it would fit in the 18" max with an inch on both sides. Is Osburn actually the lower end model? Obviously I have really overanalyzed this. Experience and direction would be super beneficial from anyone.

Last edited:
Osburn is the same company as drolet, kinda like Cadillacs are luxury Chevy's but the same basic car, osburns are the luxury stoves.

I am having a new wood stove installed in a month. My house is just over 10 years old with a heat pump; moderately sized at 1300 sq ft. I've got family that has Drolet and Buck King, which they love. The company installing my wood stove said those are "lesser" brands and solely recommended Osburn. I did ask about Lopi and they said that was good too. They said never buy a stove from a big-box store because they all smoke. However, when I was out shopping around today at various fireplace/stove stores I learned that Osburn has welds, Lopi and Quadra-fire do not. I'm a single mother. I have saved for quite awhile to be able to afford this. I do not intend to use as a primary heat source - and I don't want to burn our house down. My son has asthma so minimizing the amount of smoke indoors is important. I have to make a decision asap on what to get. I don't want to overdo it. Do I really need an Osburn 2000 for such a small house??? The installer told me I will be unhappy with the Osburn 1700 because of firewood size, yet I'm understanding lumber mills sell at 16" for ricks and it would fit in the 18" max with an inch on both sides. Is Osburn actually the lower end model? Obviously I have really overanalyzed this. Experience and direction would be super beneficial from anyone.
Lopi and quarafire gave welds as well. They are all plate steel stoves that are welded together. The only ones that don't have welds are cast iron bodied stoves but those have their own issues as well. BTW buck is the same quality level as Osbourn. Drolet is definitely an entry level stove but still very good value

Lots of disinformation coming from the salespeople. They're blowing smoke. Drolet's are good stoves with most of the same internal components as their Osburn siblings. The baffle is a bit more fragile and some of the trim may be simpler, but they are good stoves. It is true that there are some poorer quality big box store stoves, but Drolet is a good one.

FWIW, welded stoves are great. Most companies besides Hearthstone make welded stoves. This includes Lopi, Jotul, Quad, PE, Osburn, Blaze King, etc. There should be little to no smoke in the house with a proper installation.

I would also look at the Drolet Deco Nano ( Osburn 950). These stoves are deeper than the 1700 which means they can be loaded N/S. The advantage of this loading is that there is no worry about the wood rolling up against the glass. The deeper firebox stove also tend to spill less smoke when the stove door is opened in mild weather burning. Another couple of N/S loading stoves would be the True North TN20 and the Jotul F35.

Last edited:
So if I do not have a means to transport the warmer air from room to room (would the stove have to be hooked into my duct work???) other than a fan, would I need to get a stove with a blower? Would that help or is it a waste? And if a ceiling fan or blower isn't all that helpful to move some of that warm air, should I be going on the smaller side of stoves for my square footage? I feel like if yes, maybe the company installing is trying to oversell me on the Osburn 2000?

Can you post quick sketch of the floorplan that includes the stove location?

Can you post quick sketch of the floorplan that includes the stove location?
Sure can! Disclaimer...can't draw a straight line with a ruler! The pink is where the stove is going.

[Hearth.com] Please help select appropriate wood stove

The bedrooms will get less heat due to the doorways. A ceiling fan will help. Did you look at the Osburn 950? That would be a better fit.

The bedrooms will get less heat due to the doorways. A ceiling fan will help. Did you look at the Osburn 950? That would be a better fit.
Ok, maybe this is more misinformation from the few stores I've been to. If so, forgive me! Is the smaller size due to the air not flowing into the other rooms? So going with a stove that maxes out at 1200 sqft would be ok and/or preferred? I've read on other posts elsewhere on this site that you don't want to run on low all the time because of creosote buildup. On the flip side, the people at the stores said I don't want to run on high all the time because it will warp the steel. I think if I had to choose between those problems, it'd be not wanting to burn my house down.......?

It looks like the main open area is about half the sq ftg or about 600 sq ft. Is this correct? If so, I think a stove in the 1.5 -1.7 cu ft range will suffice.