Please help me choose between two!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
krex1010 said:
VC has too many scary stories for me to consider recommending any of their products, I have heard many people have issues with parts breaking and then having absolute nightmares trying to get warranties honored. So that is something to think about. I don't know much about jotuls other than the people that I know that have them absolutely love them, but the one you are considering may be a bit big. If you want a cooktop there are many other brands that offer stve with that option, you may be able to find a properly sized stove that fits all your needs. If I can give you one piece of advce it would be to look at alot of stoves, take your time , if you don't already have your wood you likely won't be using your stove this year anyway, so there is no need to rush.

I bought a VC Defiant non cat Jan this year. It came with a 12 month or 12 load which ever comes first warranty. I do like the stove and I would hope no one would have any problems the first year but I gotta tell you a 1 year warranty really isn't much of a demonstration of confidence in a product for any manufacturer. Really its nothing for wood stove, 1 year!! I spent $2600 total installed.
I think I had my mind made up to buy VC before I went looking because as a kid we had a VC Vigillant. I could have bought many other stoves for the money but I don't regret it. No horror story here YET. I would suggest you listen to the folks on here and also check warranty length. I don't think you will find any better advice then on this site. Hope whatever you decide you'll be happy and warm.
I vote Jutol.

Twelve loads? So you're only supposed to use it ONCE A MONTH? Are they selling a wood stove or a decorative fire hazard?!

Anyway, off-topic, but have you check out Englander? They have some smaller stoves that are much more price friendly!

~Rose

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
Anyway, off-topic, but have you check out Englander? They have some smaller stoves that are much more price friendly!

~Rose

Yes, and excellent to boot. But--since looks are important to him, and he like the looks of the VC and Jotul--I don't think he'll like the look of the Englanders.

CALJREICH said:
krex1010 said:
VC has too many scary stories for me to consider recommending any of their products, I have heard many people have issues with parts breaking and then having absolute nightmares trying to get warranties honored. So that is something to think about. I don't know much about jotuls other than the people that I know that have them absolutely love them, but the one you are considering may be a bit big. If you want a cooktop there are many other brands that offer stve with that option, you may be able to find a properly sized stove that fits all your needs. If I can give you one piece of advce it would be to look at alot of stoves, take your time , if you don't already have your wood you likely won't be using your stove this year anyway, so there is no need to rush.

I bought a VC Defiant non cat Jan this year. It came with a 12 month or 12 load which ever comes first warranty. I do like the stove and I would hope no one would have any problems the first year but I gotta tell you a 1 year warranty really isn't much of a demonstration of confidence in a product for any manufacturer. Really its nothing for wood stove, 1 year!! I spent $2600 total installed.
I think I had my mind made up to buy VC before I went looking because as a kid we had a VC Vigillant. I could have bought many other stoves for the money but I don't regret it. No horror story here YET. I would suggest you listen to the folks on here and also check warranty length. I don't think you will find any better advice then on this site. Hope whatever you decide you'll be happy and warm.
I vote Jutol.

??? 12 months or 12 loads . . . are you sure about that? I mean I've never been one to say VC stoves are the best stoves ever made . . . but I really can't imagine they would have a 12 load warranty . . . I mean how could they even verify if you had just one load or 1,200 loads when you brought if you had to have warranty work done on it?

Random thoughts . . .

Given the choice between the two stoves you list . . . Oslo . . . no question.

That said . . . if you really wanted to stick with the Jotul line up . . . and they do make some very nice stoves . . . the Castine would be a better fit. I am a big proponent of sizing the stove to the home and then going one size larger, but I think in this case the Oslo would be too much and you would end up with the windows open most of the winter . . . which doesn't seem bad . . . but it is wasteful of wood and that combination of Carribean like heat and cool air together is not always pleasant.

Cooking . . . if you're just looking to cook some soup, beans, etc. once in a while I am guessing that with some care you could cook on most any stove . . . trivets are useful and as long as you're not sliding the pans and pots around you should be OK . . . that said . . . my woodstove is primarily used for heating and so I heat with it . . . my own opinion is that when I cook I prefer using an appliance where I can monitor and adjust the heat better . . . well that and not have to worry about spaghetti sauce splattering and cooking on to my stove. Just personal preference . . . subject to change if and when I lose my power for 14 days and cannot use my oven. ;)

Final thought . . . consider the Castine . . . but keep an open mind to other stoves as well. PEs are made in your neck of the woods and many folks here really like them.

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
Twelve loads? So you're only supposed to use it ONCE A MONTH? Are they selling a wood stove or a decorative fire hazard?!

~Rose

The 12 loads was a joke. Just being a little sarcastic. 1 year or 12 loads not much difference for a warranty on a couple thousand dollar stove. Sorry for any confusion about my joking around.

Hi, the indecisive one, here. Yes, the Oslo is now out of the picking, as the company finally sent out a manager because I was so concerned about it being too big. Glad I held out. First thing he said when he saw my home was it was definitely too big. So yes, it is now between the Jotul Castine and the VCRA. The Castine is ok, but it just seems so tiny as a unit -- smaller than some of the fake electric "wood" stoves I have around the house for ambiance. And no more side load. And no cooktop. They may try to fashion one for me, but I'm not sure. For cooking I do see perking my coffee on it and warming warmables and frying up french toast in my cast irons. It has always seemed weird to me using cast iron pans on my electric stove, but that's what I do. Just love that cast iron. Can a trivet on top of a Castine take care of this? So I do think I'll cook on it more than most, wonky heat regulation or not. And that enamel is supposed to clean up pretty well!

The PE Alderlea T4 looks okay but doesn't thrill me, especially at its similarly high price.

Considering my need for pretty and cooking and heating a 1250 Pacific NW manufactured home, is there anyone at all who thinks the VCRA would be a decent stove for this application if the Castine just can't handle the cooking app? This RA has been around since the '70's, I'm told. I'm also told it has a limited lifetime warranty on workmanship. What does that mean? Am I better protected than other warranties? But if it really is folly, please continue to beat me over the head w/one of my cast iron pans.

Thank you all for important insights and warm wishes.

EAFW said:
Hi, the indecisive one, here. Yes, the Oslo is now out of the picking, as the company finally sent out a manager because I was so concerned about it being too big. Glad I held out. First thing he said when he saw my home was it was definitely too big. So yes, it is now between the Jotul Castine and the VCRA. The Castine is ok, but it just seems so tiny as a unit -- smaller than some of the fake electric "wood" stoves I have around the house for ambiance. And no more side load. And no cooktop. They may try to fashion one for me, but I'm not sure. For cooking I do see perking my coffee on it and warming warmables and frying up french toast in my cast irons. It has always seemed weird to me using cast iron pans on my electric stove, but that's what I do. Just love that cast iron. Can a trivet on top of a Castine take care of this? So I do think I'll cook on it more than most, wonky heat regulation or not. And that enamel is supposed to clean up pretty well!

The PE Alderlea T4 looks okay but doesn't thrill me, especially at its similarly high price.

Considering my need for pretty and cooking and heating a 1250 Pacific NW manufactured home, is there anyone at all who thinks the VCRA would be a decent stove for this application if the Castine just can't handle the cooking app? This RA has been around since the '70's, I'm told. I'm also told it has a limited lifetime warranty on workmanship. What does that mean? Am I better protected than other warranties? But if it really is folly, please continue to beat me over the head w/one of my cast iron pans.

Thank you all for important insights and warm wishes.

Here is what it says in my VC owners manual.

Limited Lifetime Warranty
MHSC warrants that all refactory brick and material used in this product will be warranted against deterioration not resulting from physical damage or overloading th e woostove for the lifetime of this product. This coverage includes the components of the EverBurn System: "shoe, fountain, and fireback. Coverage is provided to the original purchaser.

Limited 3 Year Warranty
All cast iron parts are warranted fo a period of three years against breakage, cracking or burn-through.

Limited 1 Year Warranty
The following part of the woodburning stove are warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of one year from the date you receive it: The handles, glass door panels, door gasketing and porcelain finish. Any of these items found to be defective will be repaired or replaced at no charge, upon return of the part with postage prepaid to a Vermont Castings Authorized Dealer.
Any parts repaired or replaced during limited warranty period will be warranted under the terms of limited warranty for a period not to exceed the remaining term of the original limited warranty or six (6) months whichever is longer.

Then they state Exclusions & Limitations

I think you would be fine with VC but what is Jotul warranty

Thanks, Cal. Just ordered the VCRA. If Jotul would have made a medium-sized stove w/a cooktop, I would have ordered it instead. Wish me luck. And thanks! All comments meant a lot to me. :)

Glad to see you made your decision. I own one of the stoves from VC that some people tried to steer me away from. I have had no problems with it. In fact I'm very pleased with its performance. I'm always a little put off when people are too quick to discard a company entirely, even when the company has had many happy customers for so many years. I hope the VC serves you well. Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.