Please help me choose between two!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

EAFW

Hearth Supporter
Dec 9, 2010
PLEASE, ANYONE, if you can help with the final decision between a Jotul Oslo and a Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim for new primary heating system, I would be so grateful! Just over 1,200 sq ft manufactured home, so I know the Oslo is a little big, but is it a serious size problem? 5 skylights, a few big windows, heavy wind factor. Like the seeming simplicity of the Oslo, side door seems like a good plan. In stock, pretty color. But would it really blast me out at 1250 sq ft or is burning a smaller fire okay and not a fire hazard? May be a little harder squeezing it in as it is two inches wider. VC Resolute Acclaim may be more appropriately sized (although of course I would have to have those side wings) but have read a lot of concerning posts re getting parts (how often do they really need to be replaced anyway?). It appears to be a little more full inside with the ashpan in there and the thick lining. Top loading any better than side loading? Smaller view screen for sure. But can't argue w/how gorgeous it is and the price is actually better. Please help and please be gentle w/a nuby! Really only want to do this once. Thanks so much for any and all help!

you lose, Vermont castings

Normally I would say, without a doubt, the Oslo.

Where are you located? If in the south, I think either might be too much unless you live at a high altitude. You might want to consider a more convective stove like a Woodstock Keystone (catalytic) or a Pacific Energy Alderlea T4 if living in a very mild climate.

I live in the Pacific NW, so occasionally some dicey winters but not usually long deep-freezes. Some northeasters. Rainy and cold, generally, from fall till spring. Use electric forced air heat now (ugh!) from Mid October till April and a fireplace (to be removed) for warmth and atmosphere 4-6X a week. Actually do get more power outages than I think are "fair," and have had to go outside in the freezing w/a camp stove to warm up any food which definitely stinks. So looking forward to a cooktop! There are so many little pieces to the wood stove equation. The look does matter to me, hence the choice of these two. But I want a stable, suitable unit w/as few issues as possible. I don't mind dirt, ash, smoke, and a learning curve, but I do want the most reliable stove hopefully to last many years to come. So w/this 1250 sq ft home, will both be good choices size-wise or am I out of my league w/the Jotul Oslo? Is it really okay to have a larger stove than necessary? And staying in the present, are both companies responsive? Thanks again for all help!

Franks said:
I predict the next 20 posts will say oslo also

All you had to do was re-post 20x. Prediction comes true!

But I'll add one.

Oslo also.

Between those two, the Oslo wins hands down but I would give some consideration to the wise words of BeGreen!

I looked at the PE Alderlea T-5 (again because of the cooktop) but found no solid dealer around and also was told PE can just burn up -- don't know how true, like a lot of stories I've heard about most brands. I have heard the least negative about the Jotuls. I do want to take advantage of the tax rebate so I believe it has to be non-cat and in stock (if not installed) by year end. But can anyone tell me if the Oslo is overkill for my square footage and what problems are likely with it? Thanks all!

The Jotul Oslo is too much stove for your application.

You run that Oslo at 500 for 6 or 7 hours and my bet is you'll be opening windows.

And yes, top load is REAL nice, I had a Vermont Castings Defiant Catalytic, had no problems with it, loved that stove.

I went with Jotul cuz I wanted to see the flame, in the Defiant, and most Catalytics, you don't see a nice fire in the window when its in "cat" mode.

You might do well to look at the Hearthstone line, soapstone may be a good choice.

Don't rush this thing, you'll likely regret it if you do.

Can I run the stove less than 500 degrees? What is wrong w/opening windows? Sorry for the very basic questions but I just don't know the answers. And unfortunately I do have to decide fairly soon.

Is the Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim a better stove for my application, then? Or does it just suck? I know myself: I will give up a LITTLE convenience or risk a LITTLE in potential repairs to get such a beautiful stove, but I don't want to throw myself to the wolves.

My last home was modular with app. 1650 sq.ft., my Oslo would absolutely run us out! We had the windows open in order to get a good burn going. The truth is any stove should do that to 1250 feet. I would urge you to go with a Castine, have you considered this? We seem to get call backs on VC products for strange things, a few times a year, we rarely get a call to go back on a Jotul that we installed.

I did consider a Castine, but there was no cooktop and none could be installed I was told. I really do use my cast iron pans all the time and look forward to using them on top of a wood stove. Also, there is an Oslo in a local shop in a color I like that has been burned there, so there is a discount on it that is hard to pass up (especially since I now have to do a hefty renovation just to get the fireplace out and the wood stove in...) and I can get it installed before year-end. And since the dealer has repeatedly said it is okay to put an Oslo in 1250 sq ft, I had to believe them. But I also liked the VC Resolute Acclaim and it was smaller, so there is from whence the conundrum came. I came to hearth.com to hear the real deal. And I thank every person posting because it really does help.

An Oslo will be just fine for the area, just have to burn small fires I guess, If you don't mind me asking, what kinda of a deal did he offer you? I have considered selling my Oslo but don't know what to ask for it. I could use a bigger stove in the home we just bought.

Still an ungodly sum: $2,433. Only burned a few times in the store.

I'm starting to believe the Oslo will be too large. So I would consider a Castine vs. the VCRA if the Castine could have some kind of cooktop fashioned on top of it. It's a small top there to begin with and I would be getting an enamel one. Don't want to void a warranty. But how could I cook on it w/cast iron pans? Does it just make sense to go w/the VCRA, or again, do they just not do the job right?

There are just too many VC horror stories on here to go with one. From what you have posted. I would get the PE T4 or T5 and if you have no dealers nearby, order from chimneysweeponline.com and find a local sweep to help with the install if you need it.

EAFW said:
Still an ungodly sum: $2,433. Only burned a few times in the store.

I'm starting to believe the Oslo will be too large. So I would consider a Castine vs. the VCRA if the Castine could have some kind of cooktop fashioned on top of it. It's a small top there to begin with and I would be getting an enamel one. Don't want to void a warranty. But how could I cook on it w/cast iron pans? Does it just make sense to go w/the VCRA, or again, do they just not do the job right?
Is this price for enamel?

EAFW said:
I looked at the PE Alderlea T-5 (again because of the cooktop) but found no solid dealer around and also was told PE can just burn up -- don't know how true, like a lot of stories I've heard about most brands. I have heard the least negative about the Jotuls. I do want to take advantage of the tax rebate so I believe it has to be non-cat and in stock (if not installed) by year end. But can anyone tell me if the Oslo is overkill for my square footage and what problems are likely with it? Thanks all!

I would be leary of a dealer that dissed the competition to make a sale. There are other convective stoves, but the Alderlea fits the style you are looking at. We have several good PE dealers in the PacNW, including the one that we got our stove from: www.chimneysweeponline.com.

Which color is it? Since you are so interested in cooking on it, have you considered this stove from Napoleon? (broken link removed to http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Stoves/stoves_wood/1150P.html) It's not mobile home approved though if you are concerned about that.

VC has too many scary stories for me to consider recommending any of their products, I have heard many people have issues with parts breaking and then having absolute nightmares trying to get warranties honored. So that is something to think about. I don't know much about jotuls other than the people that I know that have them absolutely love them, but the one you are considering may be a bit big. If you want a cooktop there are many other brands that offer stve with that option, you may be able to find a properly sized stove that fits all your needs. If I can give you one piece of advce it would be to look at alot of stoves, take your time , if you don't already have your wood you likely won't be using your stove this year anyway, so there is no need to rush.

BeGreen said:
EAFW said:

I would be leary of a dealer that dissed the competition to make a sale. There are other convective stoves, but the Alderlea fits the style you are looking at. We have several good PE dealers in the PacNW, including the one that we got our stove from: www.chimneysweeponline.com.

What BeGreen said.

Take a look at the T4:

(broken link removed to http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/pacaldert4.htm)

And the T5:

(broken link removed to http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/pacaldert5.htm)

and tell me if the illustrations on the bottom don't float your stove-cooking boat.

I've heard nothing but good things about those stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.