plastic storage tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Hearth Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
new mexico
can you use plastic storage tanks? I seem to only see steel

hulk said:
can you use plastic storage tanks? I seem to only see steel
Almost all plastics get pretty weak at the temperatures involved in storage. Failure of a storage tank wouldn't be pretty.

Rigid plastic tanks cannot tolerate the temperatures and pressure that the weight of the water presents together.
We have assisted in adding liners and structural supports for plastic tanks that have stress cracked over the years.
Like Nofo said, it isn't pretty when they let go.

it depends on the plastic. HDPE high density polyethylene is the most common. It's good to about 150F.

I even tried those pallet tanks that are inside a heavy wire cage. Right around 160F the plastic would start to bulge out between the 6"X6" wire squares!

There are some higher temperature plastics like PP polypropylene and FRP fiberglass reinforced plastic. Those are harder to find and more $$s.

Most tanks have the type of plastic and manufacturers name molded in. When in doubt contact them for a data sheet. I wouldn't buy a tank without confirming the temperature limits from the man.

hr

Material will make a difference. The only possible candidates are FRP or polypropylene.
Polypropylene is the material that we saw stress crack. Fiberglass does deteriorate as well. For that matter, most materials
do. It is a question of how they age and what is a potential failure mode.

Having a plastic tank that is uninsulated and is filled occasionally with hot fluid is not the same as filling an insulated rigid plastic
tank that will be exposed to continuous high temps and static loads. Many rigid plastic tanks are used for non-continuous process applications.

I think if you look at process applications that are exposed to the kind of temps we talk about here, you are looking at metal tanks or lined tanks that
have a solid structure.

I researched tanks and materials pretty obsessively several years ago, and originally had had hopes of finding some plastic material-- and didn't.

If I'd known about the American Solartechnics tank, I'd have probably gone with that- for some reason, it didn't seem to be on the radar screen yet at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.