Pizza boxes as firestarters-observations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we have come full circle, so burn more cardboard it will save you a chimney fire. :lol:

I knew an old guy who use to start his fires exclusively with the cardboard from empty pizza containers, beer boxes, and cigarettes packages. It's finally what killed him in the end. :eek:hh:

Carbon_Liberator said:
I knew an old guy who use to start his fires exclusively with the cardboard from empty pizza containers, beer boxes, and cigarettes packages. It's finally what killed him in the end. :eek:hh:
Sounds like a bad life style.

I wondered about the paper and cardboard thing-when we had our stove installed the installer said not to use them. I was in a big time hurry to get to work (they were like 4 hours late) so I didn't bother asking why. Now I ponder why they said that actually.

We use fatwood or pine we split into little pieces to start ours when needed.

I think next season I might collect a big fat pile of Eastern White pinecones to use as starters and see how they work-they are COVERED in sap so they should light up nice. I'll just have to remember to use gloves when loading them, lol-sticky, sticky, sticky! I love how they smell...I should see if the dog tries to eat them first though, I have to hide the fatfood from her or she's all over it (she went bizerk when I put them with the wood box in a little mini-log holder I got, barking at them, attacking them...whacko that she is).

HotCoals said:
I read on here where someone use's their map gas torch to light the fire or to get it going if their coals are not enough .
Been doing that since..lol.
Rarely have to do it though.
Might have been me as thats what I use to start the stove (about 2 twice a yr hehehe) and the trash barrel and the bon fire.

Well, the cardboard isn't the problem or the cause. It's the creosote in the flue, which is caused by..........people.
Kinda like hearing the news reports of accidents after the first snowstorm. "Lots of accidents caused by icy conditions".
Um, no.
People live in Michigan (and other cold snowy places) ALL their lives, learn to drive here, know darn well it snows and the roads get slick and slippery. Yet, every winter, what do we hear........

Difference with firewood burning is that the cause and effect is less immediate. Hard for some to correlate.
Hence, "burning pine or cardboard causes chimbley fires". Yes, I spelled it wrong,... on porpoise.
Ok, I'm done now. Just grinds me sometimes. :cheese:

BeGreen said:
We have never used pizza boxes, but that is because we make our own.

What do you use to make your pizza boxes? Oh, and why?

DanCorcoran said:
BeGreen said:

I think he means he makes his own pizza, so he doesn't get pizza boxes since he isn't bringing a pie home.

Maybe you knew that and were jesting. Hard to tell on here at times.

pen

Well if you make your own pizza ya gotta make your own boxes. :cheese:

HotCoals said:
I read on here where someone use's their map gas torch to light the fire or to get it going if their coals are not enough .
Been doing that since..lol.
Rarely have to do it though.

Guilty :cheese:

pen said:
DanCorcoran said:
BeGreen said:

I think he means he makes his own pizza, so he doesn't get pizza boxes since he isn't bringing a pie home.

pen

Yeah, I figure smiley faces make it too easy. I like folks to scratch their heads for a minute. With me, you can usually count on a deliberate misunderstanding.

DanCorcoran said:
Yeah, I figure smiley faces make it too easy. I like folks to scratch their heads for a minute. With me, you can usually count on a deliberate misunderstanding.

What do you mean by that?

pen said:
DanCorcoran said:
BeGreen said:

pen

I bet cooking a pizza on a hot stove would give you a real crispy crust ;-P

pen said:
I too prefer super cedars for firestarting. But if I don't have any, I've been known to use cardboard from a 30 pack.

pen

I've found the cardboard from an 18-pack of tall boys to work quite well. Sometimes I lay a piece of the cardboard down with the newspaper and kindling on top of it.
I do think the paperboard of a beer box or cereal box burns differently than the regular cardboard of a larger box. The regular cardboard has gaps between the layers that can help it take off in a hurry.

Guns kill people. now pizza boxes too?

Cardboard is a great starter. After Jake said to use a cardboard box rather gas to burn a house down, I figured it would be fine to start a fire with every once in a while.

Flatbedford said:
Cardboard is a great starter. After Jake said to use a cardboard box rather gas to burn a house down, I figured it would be fine to start a fire with every once in a while.

Sure thing . . . smart arsonists would use cardboard and not a flammable, detectable (by dogs and lab tests) fuel like gas to burn their house down . . . but fortunately most arsonists are just plain number than a hake.

Big fan of cardboard myself . . . pizza boxes are my favorite firestarters (next to Super Cedars of which I am a recent convert) . . . a bunch of cardboard can get virtually anything going . . . a few years back I burned down a pile of green brush in middle of a rain storm with a bunch of cardboard boxes placed inside and on top of the brush pile.

That said . . . one pizza box would be fine in my mind . . . loading up the firebox full of cardboard boxes in an attempt to turn the woodstove into a mini-trash incinerator would be a bad idea.

blacktail said:
pen said:
I too prefer super cedars for firestarting. But if I don't have any, I've been known to use cardboard from a 30 pack.

pen

I've found the cardboard from an 18-pack of tall boys to work quite well. Sometimes I lay a piece of the cardboard down with the newspaper and kindling on top of it.
I do think the paperboard of a beer box or cereal box burns differently than the regular cardboard of a larger box. The regular cardboard has gaps between the layers that can help it take off in a hurry.

That is called cardboard, technically the "cardboard" with the gaps like you'd find in a shipping box is "corrugated"....

<briefly worked at a box mfg company

We used to shell a lot of dried corn for grinding and for farm animals. We would use the leftover corn cobs with one of the ends dipped in kerosine to light our fires. It worked great. Now we are relegated to using pine kindling or pine cones, as we no longer mess with the corn.

finally another reason to order more pizza!

thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.