Pin Oak Birdhouse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Was at Lowes yesterday to look at bathroom vanities and walked out with a birdhouse instead. Simple $9 cedar one pegged into a Pin Oak.

Attachments

• Pin Oak Birdhouse
    Birdhouse.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 415
bluebird cottage ?

Bill...that is correct. New to birdhouses. Said to hang it 6 ft, facing east and away from Prevailing winds. We'll see what happens. It's right outside the window of of our daughters Playroom.

Cool! Make sure to take pics when birds visit.

We have lots of locals with signs out front that make them. I should stop and buy one.

I've made them of pottery, but never quite got the dimensions right. I put in larger openings to allow air flow (pottery heats up in the sun), but then the birds don't use them as predators can get in.

I should revisit the idea and get advice on openings, height from floor to opening, etc
Looking for critique/suggestions on what to do. How about shelf-type houses, or an open design that some sort of bird might like? Any suggestions are welcome.

Pin Oak Birdhouse

This one ended up being a clock rather than a birdhouse (very Dr. Seussish). You can see other domed ones to the left and behind it on the right.

Pin Oak Birdhouse

Pin Oak Birdhouse

Adios Pantalones said:

We have lots of locals with signs out front that make them. I should stop and buy one.

I've made them of pottery, but never quite got the dimensions right. I put in larger openings to allow air flow (pottery heats up in the sun), but then the birds don't use them as predators can get in.

I should revisit the idea and get advice on openings, height from floor to opening, etc
Looking for critique/suggestions on what to do. How about shelf-type houses, or an open design that some sort of bird might like? Any suggestions are welcome.

This one ended up being a clock rather than a birdhouse (very Dr. Seussish). You can see other domed ones to the left and behind it on the right.

Dang those are cool! I got to get to your place some day. My wife would love one(or 2 or 3) for our season wrens. What you fetchin for them? You can PM if want JIC!

Stax said:
Bill...that is correct. New to birdhouses. Said to hang it 6 ft, facing east and away from Prevailing winds. We'll see what happens. It's right outside the window of of our daughters Playroom.

Here is a great site for bluebirds if you are interested.

http://www.sialis.org/

No, it is not the site for ED medication :smirk:

At work I have one up in a swampy retention pond that gets some interest every spring but no takers. I would not have put it over water, but one day I was fishing the local river and a pair had a nest in a hollow tree overhanging the river. It seems the location will reduce predator issues, except for snakes. I'll put up a few more boxes this spring and put a cone on the post.

Neat houses AP. Very Dr. Seussish.

Adios Pantalones said:

AP, you have a great talent with that pottery! I love the birdhouses, did you ever get into doing any crocks or stoneware jugs? great pics, if you get the dimnensions where the birds will use them, I'm buying a couple!!

I might as well add to the hyjack, nice stuff AP. Do you have pictures of what you do sell?

Stax said:
Was at Lowes yesterday to look at bathroom vanities and walked out with a birdhouse instead. Simple $9 cedar one pegged into a Pin Oak.

Keep a close eye on that one Stax,
We put up some bluebird houses directly onto trees just like that a few years ago. After 2 seasons we finally got bluebirds nesting in one. We followed up and watched them hatch and grow almost every day. I woke up one morning, poured a cup of coffee and looked out our back sliding glass door, where the birdhouse was mounted. I almost spit my coffee out when I saw about 5 feet of black snake hanging out of the hole in the birdhouse and wrapped around the tree. By the time I got out there it was too late.
Not sure if you have any snakes around, but they will climb trees.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.