PI40 Lennox insert and adventures with the new door seal!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

wantsomeheat

Aug 30, 2018
lachine
Well it all began when the insert started releasing combustables into the room air flow. To make a long story somewhat shorter here is the short list of things I have done to the stove to hopefully address the issue.I decided to do a very good cleaning and inspection along the way to discover any and all hopefully lurking problems with the stove and so I began with the clean out of anything that may be clogging the system and be a possible cause of this smoke getting into the room air flow. I cleaned the stove combustion air passageways and the bottom half of the flue and then the chimney down portion of the flue and the cap and resealed the cap to the chimney. Don't think I have uncovered the smoking gun yet so I decided that the door rope seal is old enough to need replaced so I did that and then discovered that the door closure problem that I had been experiencing (very difficult to close) had become impossible to close! So I decided that I needed to tidy up my work of installing that rope seal which improved the situation a lot but not nearly enough that I could live with it. The manual called for a 7/8" diameter rope as the proper size which is what I installed with the provided cement for the job. I tell you what though that is quite a fat rope to get stuffed into the available space provided for it to be housed in in the door frame! all I could do to get it fitted to where the door would some what close but with way too much required help. I figured since to my knowledge it had never been replaced it did need to be done. But at this point I feel that the 7/8" rope that I am using must be too large or I am going to have to grind the door latch mechanism to work easier than it does no with this rope I have in place.

My question to any who have learned these lessons already is just what am I doing wrong here? I may be just a bit weary of this project... but I am forging ahead hoping that someone will know the magic that I so desperately need to discover here. I will depart for now and probably pray for someone to help me end this misery and get back to my great WORKING pellet stove before the snow flies! Thanks for reading my rant and please know I will greatly appreciate any and all advice. Jim

someone must have some insight into this issue. I have tucked this 7/8 inch rope as tight as possible but this door just is not going to close with this gasket. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am considering trying a smaller rope? Any thoughts on that idea. The 7/8 is what is called for though. Open to any ideas! thanks jim

Open to any ideas!
Is the "pin" nut and bolt the door handle latches to adjustable? It is call Adjustable Latch Pin in parts list.

I don't have your stove but just replaced the door gasket on mine and it is tight. I could put a washer on the latch hook and it would close easier but if I leave it like it is by the middle of the heat season it will close easy as the gasket forms to the stove. Mine is so tight that I have to place hand on door and lean/push it closed enough to get the handle to the point were it will engage latch hook.

If your latch pin is not adjustable an leaning on your door does not work you will have to go with a smaller rope gasket.

The pin that the handle hooks on is not adjustable but the fixed hinges mount on a bar that will adjust somewhat. Tried that but found no help. I did remove the latch lever and ground some off of it and it helped but still will not close enough to let the side access panel close over it. I am somewhat fearful to start it up like it is for fear that the door may just pop open with the handle not closed all the way but I am also not sure I should continue grinding that handle if the shrinkage is enough on the gasket it may not seal tightly afterward. How long did it take for the rope to shrink? thanks for the ideas. Jim

How long did it take for the rope to shrink? thanks for the ideas.
Not shrink but flatten out and usually a month at least.

I would take another look at the pin that the latch hooks to it is called adjustable latch pin for a reason. Maybe even remove the sleeve from the bolt. Does loosing the bolt from the back allow it to slide forward? Parts list from manual below.

[Hearth.com] PI40 Lennox insert and adventures with the new door seal!

I did loosen the bolt from the back enough that it should have been able to move but it would not. That bolt is through the fire box and a slotted hole would leak so if there is a sleeve on the bolt that may be the adjustment it needs. Didn't know it had one. I will take a look at that. Thanks. That grind that I put on the handle was enough to let me turn it on for a test run and whatever was causing the smoking getting into the room air flow seems to be fixed and at least the stove is operating properly again!That's great news. Just need to get this door closure thing dealt with now and the snow flakes can fly. thanks for your help. I really appreciate that a lot! Jim

Reactions: ARC
I just wanted to thank you for the advice on the "adjustable latch pin" in the earlier post! I took another look at it and removed it totally to find that as stated in the manual there is an oblong slot that allows for some front to rear adjustment of this latch pin and as I would have hoped it was just enough! So thanks again for pointing that out as it saved the day for me. Experience shines bright when it is in your eyes and always welcomed. Thanks again! Jim

Reactions: johneh and ARC