Perplexed After Chimney Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Woodenator

Jul 9, 2024
Pa
Hey fellas, I am kinda confused. Last year was my first year burning a wood furnace and as some of you may know it's a Clayton. Now being it was my first year I religiously cleaned the chimney weekly even during the winter because I have an access cap on the ground and can clean it from the bottom up. I have a baro damper installed between the furnace and chimney, which I installed through alot of recommendations including US stove company. I was having trouble with cresote building up in the almost 4ft run of flu before it went into the chimney. Especially on the baro damper, it was a real pain trying to keep clean with the gooey, sticky mess. However, Iast year I ran for prob a month without touching the chimney at the end of the burning season so this year I was expecting to see a build up of cresote in my chimney. However when I open the access hole about 5 or 6 cups or granulated cresote fell out, then I stuck my inspection mirror in to get a look at how much work I had ahead of me. Amazingly, there was basically nothing in the chimney at all, it's the cleanest I've seen it yet!? I even chimbed ontop of the roof to see if there was build up at the very top where cresote tens to stick to the pipe, there was basically nothing yet again. How can this be? How can I keep the horizontal run of flu pipe clean on its way to the chimney? I was going to install a pipe damper this year to try instead of the baro because of the hassel it caused me last year however now I'm not so sure.

You may have had a chimney fire cleaned it up for you...

Reactions: hobbyheater
You may have had a chimney fire cleaned it up for you...
Eh maybe, I don't think so. There was some granulated cresote in the pipe but 1 swipe with the chimney brush took it out. How would you even tell if there was a chimney fire? Everything looks fine to me...

Introducing cool air to your flue exhaust seems like a recipe for creosote. The improvement is a puzzle. Did the damper setting change or stick? Did your wood dry more over the heating season?

Introducing cool air to your flue exhaust seems like a recipe for creosote. The improvement is a puzzle. Did the damper setting change or stick? Did your wood dry more over the heating season?
Yea you would think, I read a few places that the opposite occurs, don't think I believe it though. Damper settings never changed cause I have a manometer permanently installed onto the flue. I clead the baro whenever it got sticky or had to adjust it due to cresote building up on the flapper of the baro. Wood was was dry some could have been dried another year but I was desperate and had to burn what I could find/given. I also only ran it for a month or so without cleaning so maybe it takes longer than that to build up or maybe it sitting for a year made the cresote dry out and flake off the walls, I honestly don't know. One said a chimney fore can do that and I agree however I didn't see any evidence of a chimney fire, you would have thought it would have cleaned out my pipe heading to the chimney also. The flue running to the chimney still has cresote in it, ofcourse the pipe is almost dead horizontal which doesn't help, that alone maybe be why there is so much more in there than the chimney, well that and the baro contributed to that I'm sure.

If you had a chimney fire and then ran the furnace long enough to make a lil more buildup, it would be hard to tell that there had been a fire, as long as there was no major damage to the pipes...

Reactions: sloeffle
About the only thing you can do to clean up an old smoke dragon is to feed it 15% MC wood, and run it hard! In warmer weather you can do smaller loads with more air...

Them barrows cause problems and of course that horz. run. I had bottom of the line US Stove wood/coal unit with a barrow in the line, Never seemed to make much difference in operation. Just that it was a hassle all the time . Pulled and replaced with standard piece of pipe. Burn time didn't change. Never did have much in the flue pipe except at the very top . Screen would plug so I pulled that out also. Maybe 20" foot or so in vertical length. Had an auto damper on it which never worked correctly from get go. would always stick wide open. Blocked it and just used the spin damper at the bottom of the fire box.

Reactions: Woodenator
I would take the damper out and change to double wall stainless steel smoke pipe!
My chimney is stainless double wall. Just the small section going to the chimney is regular stive pipe and I can't change that over cause the previous owner ran it through the rock wall foundation. I plan on taking the baro out to to try a key damper instead and see how that works. I don't run the thing at night just during the day. Said I have close 6 cords of wood put up but I hope that's enough for the old smoke dragon. I usually don't have to start using the wood furnace till mid November until April.