permanent chimney ladder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

6cents

Dec 26, 2017
United States
I have a stone lined chimney on a two story house which is covered with ivy the entire length. It is a daring challenge for me to keep it trimmed. I have been thinking of drilling and cementing permanent ladder rungs or steps up the entire length of the chimney. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

I have a stone lined chimney on a two story house which is covered with ivy the entire length. It is a daring challenge for me to keep it trimmed. I have been thinking of drilling and cementing permanent ladder rungs or steps up the entire length of the chimney. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

Can you not throw a hook ladder over the ridge and get to it from the roof side?

I do not care for English ivy,

Would you end up with one arm hooked on a rung while you cut the ivy with the other? It sounds uncomfortable and unsafe.
Is there another vine that could be planted that would not be so vigorous? Cut the ivy at ground level and paint the main stems with brush killer.
Is there a jasmine vine that grows in your area?.

I do not care for English ivy,

Would you end up with one arm hooked on a rung while you cut the ivy with the other? It sounds uncomfortable and unsafe.
Is there another vine that could be planted that would not be so vigorous? Cut the ivy at ground level and paint the main stems with brush killer.
Is there a jasmine vine that grows in your area?.
Yes, that is exactly my problem; uncomfortable and unsafe. That is why I was thinking if I had rungs permanently anchored in the chimney I could also secure myself to them with a harness. As far as getting rid of the ivy goes, the wife says NO! so lets not even go there.

Yes, that is exactly my problem; uncomfortable and unsafe. That is why I was thinking if I had rungs permanently anchored in the chimney I could also secure myself to them with a harness. As far as getting rid of the ivy goes, the wife says NO! so lets not even go there.

LOL then I would tell the wife to get out there and start pruning the ivy. I don't like heights.

My thought on it would be that there is no allowance in a standard construction masonry chimney for this and my suggestion would be not to do it.

Those vines have no place on your chimney. They should be removed.

Vegetation can retain moisture on the masonry as well as the framing and structure next to the chimney. The moisture as well as vine growth attachment could damage the chimney.

Chimneys are for venting, not staking plants.

Consult a chimney mason.

Sounds like some Roundup is in order: honey, I don't know why it's turning brown, I hate that it's dying, too. Probably has something to do with global warming, or acid rain...

Reactions: Tar12
Consult a chimney mason.
I believe this is the wisest step to take. Although killing the ivy would be the easiest solution, I have to admit it really does add a charming appeal to the house, and I don't mind the labor in caring for it. However, if it is causing damage it will have to go.

That Ivy may look good, but it growing & anchoring to the house is not a good thing. Will only be problems down the road. Rip it off and be done with it, then you also have a safer access to the chimney.

As far as getting rid of the ivy goes, the wife says NO! so lets not even go there.
You might tell her that rats, mice, squirrels, etc. can climb ivy to gain entrance to the house at the upper levels. They also nest in it.
We have ivy on our rock chimney and just trim it to reach height yearly.

Don't know that i would trust anything anchored into chimney brick for very long, i would think the constant hot and cold temp change on any type hole/bolt would crack the brick after awhile. Maybe you could chain some type extension ladder around the chimney? The vines would grow and hide it somewhat in time but at least it'd be secure. I have a section of an old wood extension ladder i picked up somewhere leaning against the back of my house right in my vines to provide access the roof, looks kind of cool how the vines have taken over the ladder but i still have room to climb it. Or maybe an aluminum extension ladder painted black, brown or camo would blend in with the vines?
I don't let my vines get within 10 ft of the chimney as im worried they could catch on fire if an ember would happen to land in them.