sealing a masonry chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Megunticook

Apr 8, 2012
Maine
Masons who built our chimney recommended applying a sealer product called Chimney Saver to the exterior brick every 5 years. They warned me that without sealing eventually moisture may leak into the house and also that the chimney would deteriorate faster.

It's been well over 5 years since I last sealed it...we had a metal roof installed, for one, which makes getting around on the roof a lot trickier (it's 12/12 where the chimney is), and then I installed a solar array, which complicates things even more. I asked the masonry company if I could hire them to do it but they are always too busy (I don't think they really want to do the job anyway).

So I guess I need to gather up my courage and come up with a safe plan to get it done myself using roof ladders and a safety line (I installed the solar array so I can work on the roof if necessary but the older I get the less I want to). I'm curious if others are regularly sealing their masonry chimneys and how often this really needs to be done (I notice the Chimney Saver product has a 10 year warranty).

Thanks for any input.
chimney.jpg

Masons who built our chimney recommended applying a sealer product called Chimney Saver to the exterior brick every 5 years. They warned me that without sealing eventually moisture may leak into the house and also that the chimney would deteriorate faster.

It's been well over 5 years since I last sealed it...we had a metal roof installed, for one, which makes getting around on the roof a lot trickier (it's 12/12 where the chimney is), and then I installed a solar array, which complicates things even more. I asked the masonry company if I could hire them to do it but they are always too busy (I don't think they really want to do the job anyway).

So I guess I need to gather up my courage and come up with a safe plan to get it done myself using roof ladders and a safety line (I installed the solar array so I can work on the roof if necessary but the older I get the less I want to). I'm curious if others are regularly sealing their masonry chimneys and how often this really needs to be done (I notice the Chimney Saver product has a 10 year warranty).

Thanks for any input.View attachment 317051
If it's built properly it never needs done

Thanks--can you explain that? The idea with sealers as I understand them is that they prevent moisture from penetrating the surface of the brick and/or mortar since those materials aren't waterproof, regardless of construction methods. Is that wrong?

Thanks--can you explain that? The idea with sealers as I understand them is that they prevent moisture from penetrating the surface of the brick and/or mortar since those materials aren't waterproof, regardless of construction methods. Is that wrong?
Yes it is wrong. If built properly masonry structures will stand for hundreds of years just fine with no sealers. Yes a small amount of water will soak in but it does no damage.

I have a 15 year old brick chimney on a side of my house and a 75 year old brick chimney on the other. Neither have ever been sealed and neither have ever given me an issue.

People have brick houses over in Europe. Imagine having to seal your whole house every 5 years. It never gets done there, either.

Yes it is wrong. If built properly masonry structures will stand for hundreds of years just fine with no sealers. Yes a small amount of water will soak in but it does no damage.
Is this the case with salmon brick too? I was told something similar to OP but with the caveat that it was because of the salmon brick.

Is this the case with salmon brick too? I was told something similar to OP but with the caveat that it was because of the salmon brick.
Color of the brick has nothing to do with it. Some with an applied face can benefit from sealing but they shouldn't be used for a chimney anyway. So it goes back to proper construction. Quite honestly this is pretty much a scam used to generate repeat buisness

Reactions: bladeofanduril

Thanks for any input.
View attachment 317051

It says in the link you gave that that product is banned in your state of maine and in 17 other states. So your mason is telling you do do something that is illegal in your state!

Well that may have happened since I last spoke with them, or maybe I linked to the wrong product.

So this business about sealing brick masonry chimneys to keep out moisture/avoid issues/prolong service life isn't legit.? And I should just not worry about scrambling around on the roof every 5-10 years doing something I don't really need to be doing?

Reactions: kborndale
It’s probably not a bad idea to take a peek at the crown every so often. If water gets through that, you will have problems.

Reactions: bholler
Well that may have happened since I last spoke with them, or maybe I linked to the wrong product.

So this business about sealing brick masonry chimneys to keep out moisture/avoid issues/prolong service life isn't legit.? And I should just not worry about scrambling around on the roof every 5-10 years doing something I don't really need to be doing?
Sealing it may make it last a little bit longer before maintenance is needed. But we are talking 5 or 10 years on something that should last 75 or so. Not worth the effort to me

My 1946 vintage chimney was just repointed and had a couple bricks replaced a few years ago. I’m not aware of any other work that was done on it since at least the mid 70s when it came into my family.