Pelpro steptop woes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

navyman

Nov 25, 2019
central mi
Hello fellow pelletiers! I have an old step top pelpro that will not operate correctly.... If I short out the 2 wires at the pressure switch it works fine ...the pressure switch shows continuity when the stove fire fan is running but it still won't work right when I reconnect it ... the diagram shows that switch as normally closed... That really puzzles me ..so when everything is operating normal that switch should be closed until something happens that would open it? obviously a normaly open switch will not close until there is adequate vacuum to close the switches... it is just so confusing how that should work , could anyone assist me with this? Thx!

is there 2 or 3 terminals on you vac switch?

is there 2 or 3 terminals on you vac switch?

There are 2... and it is normally open,not sure it is original equipment???? I bought from someone who also bought it second hand The switch I have is a 2 term. but the diagram on the switch shows it being normally closed for a third non-existent terminal. therefore this switch is normally open... could the wiring dia. be wrong? THX for your reply!

I haven’t seen the diagram, but it should be NO till the combustion motor sucks it closed with vacuum. The stove may need a thorough cleaning all the way to the rain cap.

Reactions: johneh
I haven’t seen the diagram, but it should be NO till the combustion motor sucks it closed with vacuum. The stove may need a thorough cleaning all the way to the rain cap.

I did clean it thoroughly ...pulled the combustion fan and cleaned the fins( they were plugged) and thoroughly cleaned the fire box.. It does fire up now and stay until I put it on high then after about 10 min. it shuts off...on low it is fine. so when I jumper the vacuum switch it will continue to run on high no problems so probably not the high limit? But just to confirm the wire diagram does show a normally closed vac. switch..that doesn't make sense, it must be an error.

Did you get the area behind the fire wall and the vent pipe? If the combustion blower was plugged up the exhaust vent pipe is also. What year and model number is your stove.

I am not sure about behind the firewall and I only have a straight pipe out for testing purposes it is an09 model/serial 18373

Attachments

• Pelpro  steptop woes
    BA3C0409-D8C9-4629-8C07-5F4C2F3958A0.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Pelpro  steptop woes
    3C1EB2AD-52BC-49E0-943C-357DAFCE7414.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Pelpro  steptop woes
    9B173501-F9A9-4B81-8847-6E4B536FAB9A.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 77
There should be 2plates on the back wall on each side of the burn pot you have to clean ash out of there too. Vac n a small hose

Reactions: navyman
I just ordered a new control board 209$ amazon..there is no speed control for the convection fan and the fire fan does not increase speed with fuel rate increase. There is evidence of repairs done to circuit board prior so just going to replace it it would likely be next problem anyway if it is not the existing problem currently. I will follow up