Pellets used so far

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Last of the straight pellets tonight. Tomorrow starts my 2-1 corn pellet mix. Running the unit on low fire, don't need to sweat us out....yet.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I'm on my third bag. I've only been running it for an hour or so in the morning and night. Weather is changing this week though, lows in the high 20's or low 30's every night and highs in the 40s or 50s. I've had it running tonight for about 4 hours, which is the longest run yet.

Fired the stove up last night, first time this season. Ran a bag thru it. Looks like a bag a night thru the end of the week. Heat pump has been handling the mild temps so far. We all know what's coming though!
Holy cow, how do you run thru a bag a day at this time of year? I can't do that with both stoves going. Sure, come January or so (sometimes December), I'll be running thru 2 +/- bags a day, depending on temps and how much wind there is. Course you do have a much bigger house than I do, so maybe that is it.

I'm on my third bag. I've only been running it for an hour or so in the morning and night. Weather is changing this week though, lows in the high 20's or low 30's every night and highs in the 40s or 50s. I've had it running tonight for about 4 hours, which is the longest run yet.
Pretty much what I've been doing. I warmed house up yesterday evening, then flipped stove to manual to idle down instead of off and on all night.
Is 28 this morning, with first frost of the year. Is a nice 74 inside.

I've run through about 13 bags so far since the beginning of Oct. PP130 set on comfort mode when the outside temps are low.

I fired up my USSC 6500 in the back half of the house for a few days earlier when the temp dropped and the kids rooms were getting cold. Then had to turn it off and just started it again yesterday. Temps in the 20s at night here.

This time of year (and spring) are always a little uneven with the fluctuating tempatures.

On corn/pellets this AM. It's 29 here. 70 inside. I'll be starting the humidifier soon. I'm into feels like 70 but with low RH, 70 feels cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: bogieb
I've burnt at least 10 bags if not more. It's been in the 20's the past few nights. Also, We can't let the house get cold because my wife has a small licensed daycare here so it has to be warm all day, every day.

I think as of today, burned maybe 6 bags, this old stove pleases me. Shut down Friday, cleaned it cold today, fired, empty ash pan rattls some until it get's some weight in it.

I burned 30 bags in November between the 2 stoves. Up to a total of 46 for the year.

Starting out December 1, I'm using my mini-split during the day then P43 at night. P61a is only heat in the basement, so there is no change there. Since the mini split was put in this summer, I'm just trying to see if there is any advantage during cooler, but not cold weather. Plus, the second head unit is in my office (WFH), so it keeps the temp swings to basically nothing while I'm working.

Used 14 so far, after a late start; that leaves 88 to get me through the winter.

As I mentioned in another topic, I'm trying to burn at a hotter level instead of low-flame, but that means day where it reaches above, hmm, 52F I would cook myself out of the house, so I'm burning fewer days but higher temps which I figure means more pellets per hour. Thus, no idea what my overall consumption will be for the heating season.

A while back when I was discussing pellet storage, I was thinking about the Wal Mart in Big Rapids with the pellets sitting in front of the store uncovered in the rain.. Most were probably reduced to mulch.
I posted pictures back in March of the multiple tons of pellets in front of a Walmart about an hour drive from me. Uncovered. They had two tons still shrink wrapped that I ended up buying 60 bags off of, $2 a bag. Last time I went up in April, all that stuff in the front was in two huge trash bins around back. What a bunch of dummies. lol
And honestly, none of us have tomorrow promised - any number of things can take us out.

Last edited:
17 as of this morning, Dec 7th. 5 bags in Oct, 10 in Nov, 2 so far in Dec.
All Pennington Nature's Heat I got for $2/bag except 5 Virginia Golden yellow pine I decided to try just to see how they burned. Much, much less ash!

I've been using about a bag every day and a half. Usually I run the stove on high for about 3-4 hours a day (in the AM and again in the evening when I return home). The rest of the time I run it on medium or low. I work from home, then head out around 4PM every day. I noticed an hour or two before lunch time I can drop the stove to low and this will maintain temp. First year with the stove and this house so took a bit of balance to figure out what settings I needed to run.

5 Bags used so far that were left over from last year. Just picked up a ton from TSC last week. Late start due to remodel and moving the stove to a different spot..

14 bags so far this season, just started getting cold last week

I've used 24 bags as of today. This November was hard to know how much to run stove. Couple days would be cold, then warmer temperatures for few days. Some days running it on auto,by the time it shut down would restart again.
I'm enjoying it today was 22 this morning and nice and toasty inside.

Reactions: maraakate
I have no idea how many bags I have used .
As long as the better half is warm and happy
I'm happy
Happy wife happy life

I’m guessing about 25 bags so far but I haven’t counted. Last night was the first time this season I needed more than heat range 1, it was about 16f outside and 60f inside so I bumped it up to 3 about midnight. Woke up to 70f, put it back to 1 before leaving for work.

The Pro Pellets seem even hotter this year, and they are hot to begin with. Not complaining :) Many times with the outside temp at 30f the house would get up to 80f. Burn time is still about the same, about 26 or so hours per bag on 1.

Tic--sounds like a lot of pellets to me--25 bags and I know you are in Mich..but when did you light your pellet stove? Just curious here for I am a wood burner...clancey

Tic--sounds like a lot of pellets to me--25 bags and I know you are in Mich..but when did you light your pellet stove? Just curious here for I am a wood burner...clancey
25 is probably what I have used, or just a touch more. But I have 2 stoves. Been running 1 or 2 since about the beginning of Oct. Both run when the temps drop in the 30s. Temps above that just the one runs. I am in northern Indiana.

The normal average for pellet use tends to be about a 40lb bag per day. I am averaging under that right now since the temps keep going up and down quite a bit

Last edited:
I’ll have to look back in the forum and see. I don’t remember. Maybe closer to 20 used since I do have like 4 bags sitting in the house. I was just picturing how much the stack has gone down in the garage.

Well I washed and put away my summer car on Halloween and snow was forecast for the next week. So burning evenings for awhile then full days, 20-25 is about right. I burn just under a bag a day on low running 24/7.

Last edited:
That's very interesting and it like someone posted about 40 lbs a day in burning season and estimating one stove here...Looking at my pigeon bag --50 lbs did not realize they eat up that much in a day and thank goodness you all have pellet feeders to feed the pellets when they get down...Keep warm everyone especially your better half..lol..clancey

Been using pellets exclusively this heating season so far and started about late September. We use thermostats on both of the 2 stoves we have and we only use both stoves either to heat the house more quickly in the morning or when the temps are pretty low - say 20 or lower during the day. So far this year have burned about 30-35 bags.

Ken