Pellet supply

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We’ve been told there’s going to be a shortage. We need a mild winter to get the prices down. If it’s a bad one the may hit near 300 a ton come January.

Check out Empire brand manufactured in Lafargeville, NY right on route 180 and not far from you at all. At present they have many, many tons sitting in front of their factory and are currently $240 per ton.

I just bought 5 tons from my local stove dealer were I buy them every year. He marks them up $10 per ton as compared to direct from the manufacturer. They tell me they'll have no problem with supply this year. By the way, the Empire brand is owned and operated by the same family that owns Waldroff, the heavy equipment dealer, with a location right off Route 81. Occasionally they air commercials on TV7 for their pellets.

Also, several vendors stock and sell Empire. I've been burning this brand for 15+ years and they're a good mid grade, locally produced, affordable pellet. Check them out...

Finally, I would guess you buy the Cubex brand pellets from the stove dealer right in Belleville very near the high school and next to the produce, flower, vegetable place owned by an Amish family? If so, I'm curious what your opinion is of the Cubex brand.

I have tried many brands and always go back to Cubix
Burn very Hot and clean with very little ash.
There is no sign of a shortage here.
Would love to try softies from the west coast
but don't have a spare arm and leg to pay for them.

Reactions: jackhammer

Thanks for the reply, Johneh.....I may buy a few bags of Cubex this winter as I drive right by the location I referenced in my previous post so I can easily pick them up. As a cost comparison, this store I mentioned sold them last year for $250 per ton which is exactly what I paid per ton earlier today for the Empire's.

I've heard from a few posters on this board that Cubex is a good brand so it would seem their reputation for quality is well founded.

I second that. We sell more of them than any of the others. The bad part is their yard is already empty.

Check out Empire brand manufactured in Lafargeville, NY right on route 180 and not far from you at all. At present they have many, many tons sitting in front of their factory and are currently $240 per ton.

I just bought 5 tons from my local stove dealer were I buy them every year. He marks them up $10 per ton as compared to direct from the manufacturer. They tell me they'll have no problem with supply this year. By the way, the Empire brand is owned and operated by the same family that owns Waldroff, the heavy equipment dealer, with a location right off Route 81. Occasionally they air commercials on TV7 for their pellets.

Also, several vendors stock and sell Empire. I've been burning this brand for 15+ years and they're a good mid grade, locally produced, affordable pellet. Check them out...

Finally, I would guess you buy the Cubex brand pellets from the stove dealer right in Belleville very near the high school and next to the produce, flower, vegetable place owned by an Amish family? If so, I'm curious what your opinion is of the Cubex brand.
I don’t buy them there. I am them. Where are you located?

Reactions: bogieb

I get a lot of feedback fro customers that use both Empires and Curran’s. I’ll just say we don’t carry either. I’ve tried both and the ones I tried at the time were very dusty. I’m paying landed forCubex what they sell theirs for. Pellets right now aren’t a money maker for us.

I live in Lowville, NY and Empire's are the best pellet available in our area (in my opinion anyway).....I wish we could get Cubex or a comparable brand in and around the Lewis County area.

I will say that Curran's are not a good pellet in my experience but I've had good luck with Empire's. My biggest problem with Empire's the past few years is the bags seem a bit thinner and thus rip open easier when unloading them or moving them from my basement upstairs to my stove. It seems I'm ducking taping rips and tears as I unload them from my pick-up to my basement more and more of late. Oh well, small issue but it seems to happen more and more the past few years.

Anyway, I may stop into your store and buy a few bags of Cubex if you have any available. Do you own both the stove business and the produce store that are side by side, or just the stove business? Nice place you have there....

I live in Lowville, NY and Empire's are the best pellet available in our area (in my opinion anyway).....I wish we could get Cubex or a comparable brand in and around the Lewis County area.

I will say that Curran's are not a good pellet in my experience but I've had good luck with Empire's. My biggest problem with Empire's the past few years is the bags seem a bit thinner and thus rip open easier when unloading them or moving them from my basement upstairs to my stove. It seems I'm ducking taping rips and tears as I unload them from my pick-up to my basement more and more of late. Oh well, small issue but it seems to happen more and more the past few years.

Anyway, I may stop into your store and buy a few bags of Cubex if you have any available. Do you own both the stove business and the produce store that are side by side, or just the stove business? Nice place you have there....
The food store is called Sharps Bulk Foods and the stove shop is also owned by Sharps, although I run it. Sharps supply Noltz and the other Mennonite stores up your way with their meats, cheeses and the such. Are you familiar with the NYSERDA pellet stove program? I have a FB page called Eco Alternative Heating Products. We actually put stoves in up in Lowville and over in Utica. Whites has Northerns which are the same as our Cubex if you’re used them.

Cubex here are 299 + 40 delivery + 2 per mile which equates to RIP OFF

We are paying 312.50 a ton with free delivery Canadian
which with the today's exchange rate is = about 220 a ton
Your dealer likes to make money. If you don't like the price
don't buy If they don't sell he will lower the price or maybe
he paid to much.

We pay $40 ton trucking to get them here and we sell them for $259 a ton. If we rip 3 bags in a pallet we lose money. There’s no money in them but we have to have a good pellet

The food store is called Sharps Bulk Foods and the stove shop is also owned by Sharps, although I run it. Sharps supply Noltz and the other Mennonite stores up your way with their meats, cheeses and the such. Are you familiar with the NYSERDA pellet stove program? I have a FB page called Eco Alternative Heating Products. We actually put stoves in up in Lowville and over in Utica. Whites has Northerns which are the same as our Cubex if you’re used them.

Wow! My wife and I shop at Noltz quite often and I live about 5 miles from their store. I also shop at Miller's Meat Market in Watson, NY as it's right around the corner from my house. They are also Mennonite and so you may have heard of them. Dan Miller, the owner, is a dear friend of my wife's family and I've had several of his children as students.

I am familiar with the NYSERDA pellet stove program but am not in the market for a new stove. I bought a brand new Harman P61A about 6 years ago and so won't be in the market anytime soon. Plus, I don't qualify for the NYSERDA income guidelines.

I didn't realize Northerns were the same as Cubex....I burned Northerns my first heating season in my house as the previous owner left them for me when I took possession of the house. I may have to try them again as it's been 18 years since I burned them. The one's he left me weren't great as I think they had gotten wet and so didn't burn as well as they otherwise would have.

Thanks for the helpful info. and perhaps I'll meet you someday as occasionally I stop into the Bulk Foods store for a cup of coffee and to buy produce. Now I may also have to buy 10 bags or so of you Cubex and give them a try.

Wow! My wife and I shop at Noltz quite often and I live about 5 miles from their store. I also shop at Miller's Meat Market in Watson, NY as it's right around the corner from my house. They are also Mennonite and so you may have heard of them. Dan Miller, the owner, is a dear friend of my wife's family and I've had several of his children as students.

I am familiar with the NYSERDA pellet stove program but am not in the market for a new stove. I bought a brand new Harman P61A about 6 years ago and so won't be in the market anytime soon. Plus, I don't qualify for the NYSERDA income guidelines.

I didn't realize Northerns were the same as Cubex....I burned Northerns my first heating season in my house as the previous owner left them for me when I took possession of the house. I may have to try them again as it's been 18 years since I burned them. The one's he left me weren't great as I think they had gotten wet and so didn't burn as well as they otherwise would have.

Thanks for the helpful info. and perhaps I'll meet you someday as occasionally I stop into the Bulk Foods store for a cup of coffee and to buy produce. Now I may also have to buy 10 bags or so of you Cubex and give them a try.
Comfort Heat and Northern at the same as Cubex. Force are also, but they come in 22 pound bags so they’re pricey. It’s already getting tougher to get loads of pellets. At 300 a ton it’s not the most economical fuel. I pray for a mild winter.

Not my dealer. But he is a large dealer that's about 5 miles from my house. He's been in business quite a while but I never buy from him because he's overpriced on most his stuff. I don't need pellets I was just checking the price cuz of the previous comments on Cubex. I always buy my pellets in the spring from the same dealer who takes about $30 off a ton at that time of year with free delivery I'm about 50 miles away. So I paid 219 a ton for Maine's choice which I've used before and they seem to be okay.