Pellet Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemms

Hearth Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Edgar, WI
Okay, I just got done (and actually still am) picking peoples' minds abouth whether we should install and
wood stove or pellet stove. And to tell you all the truth, we are leaning towards the pellet stove, because
of the convience, but aren't for sure yet...
However, if we are going to get a pellet stove, I want to get some opinions on some.
I don't know for sure, but I don't think that there is as big of a difference between wood stoves as pellet
stoves. As of now, I am planning on getting a Quadra-Fire pellet stove; Either the Mt. Vernon, Castile, or
CB1200. I am looking for your honest opinions on any of them, good or bad. Even though it may just
seem average, this is a big decision for me. I take this kind of stuff serious, and don't want to "screw-up".
I live in a 1,600 sq. ft. ranch home. I currently have a natural gas boiler in the basement. This pellet stove
would be placed centrally on the main level.
Any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated. I already found out that a guy can get some really good
opinions in this forum.

Lemms

nail on the head, my friend....opinions. Listen to them all, try to adapt them to your current situation, and you'll most likely make the right move. Hard to beat the wood scroungers here, who seem to spend every non-working, waking moment loading up their pickups with wood, taking it home, splitting and stacking it, and knowing they are covered for heat for this year and part of next, just with a little bit (well, ok, ALOT) of time, and sweat equity. If you dont have much spare time to do this, consider pellets, but realize that since you cant make your own pellets, you will be more subject to the whims of the market and local pellet sellers.

A Pellet stove would be great to heat your house and for your entertainment. But it will cost more per BTU (unit of heat) than Natural Gas, and you will have to load it, service it - and, of course, buy it.

You might want to consider a natural gas freestanding stove also in your mix. The fuel is delivered automatically and the stove will work when the electric is out.

Wood is a lifestyle - you have to enjoy it or you don't want to do it.....

Webmaster said:
Wood is a lifestyle - you have to enjoy it or you don't want to do it.....

Word. Burning wood has never saved me a dime. I burn it, an most others do, because that is what we do. Don't explain it. We just do it.

And if you don't get a rush when the chainsaw starts on the second pull, burn pellets or gas.

Within the past 5 years I have installed both Fireplace inserts(Vermont Castings Winter Warm) and Pellet Stoves (Quad Castile and Thelin Gnome and Parlor) in an effort to fend off escalating utility bills. Here is what I have found with each:

Vermont Castings Winter warm: One of the best experiences I have had. Once the fire is built and the unit is warm excellent source of heat! Filling the stove, with blowers on full, allowed my first and second floors to maintain temperatures approximately 76degrees even during coldest Upstate NY Februarys. Downside - no matter how I set the draft settings as well as the closing the flue, I cannot get more than 3-4 hours without having to constantly feed the fire. I have no doubt of the 50k btu rating, but I had many a broken nights sleep having to wake up every few hours to feed the fire.

Quadrafire Castile: Excellent stove and performance. Even in the coldest of Upstate NY winters, when this baby is cranking, it puts out the heat. I have even mixed high percentage of corn mix with success with this stove. Fires up reliably, works effectively, and burns whatever I had available for pellets and corn. Cons - glass dirties quickly (ash buildup within 24 - 48 hours - but cleans easily), and interior iron is prone to rust in off season. Make sure to coat interior with WD-40 at end of season to prevent rusting especially if using direct vent option. I also looked at the Mt Vernon which would have provided substancial heat, but it was too big for my application. Thermostat allows for stove to completely shut down when temperature is reached, then the stove can reignite when the temperature drops below the set temperature. Pellet burn rate was moderate as a full hopper would last all day on low for me on coldest days. Cleanout for this stove was approximately every 3 - 5 days.

Thelin: Again an excellent stove. Gnome model worked reliably but was a bit small for my application which was heating 1300sqft basement area. Had to vacuum out ash frequently with the Gnome model(daily with max burn rates). Later in season traded up to Parlor 3000 model which had significantly larger ash area requiring fewer cleanouts, and provided much greater heating capacity. Battery backup option is very handy and have used a couple of times during power outages. Glass does get dirty daily depending on quality of pellets, but cleans easily, and interior on both models have never rusted or become unsightly over the period of time that I have owned them. Thermostat option on these models allow fluctuation between high and low (my models didn't have any electronic ignition systems). Pellet burn rate was moderate and full hopper at 6am would still have pellets in hopper after 6pm with burn rate at low all day.

That's a great way to put it Webmaster: Wood is a lifestyle...

I am really looking forward to puting an insert into my fireplace to offset my electric bill. When I think of the work associated with the wood, it doesn't bother me. I already have a good supply of split, stacked and seasoned firewood that I've been scrounging. In fact, it's a lot more apealing than the thought of moving bags of pellets. That just reminds me of the water softener and all that salt.

Of course it's the same way for some people when they think of all the work related to burning wood when they could just dump a bag of pellets in and push the button.

Think of how boring life would be if we all did the same thing.

They "buy-in" for my wife came about my first out of town trip. The Thelin and Quad were easy to start, maintain ( I had a large garbage can filled with pellets and grain scoop for filling coal hods) where the fireplace was always a mystery and burden to her. She was able to easily keep the pellet stoves going during my absence which affirmed my investment.

It is a lifestyle! A lifestyle that I love. I do save money. I find that processing my own fuel and then using it is extremely gratifying. I encourage you to try it. It is time well spent. Both as a heating source, and a method of exercise. The exercise is a great benefit.
But, as BrotherBart stated. It is just what we do. It is!

Lemms said:
Okay, I just got done (and actually still am) picking peoples' minds abouth whether we should install and
wood stove or pellet stove. And to tell you all the truth, we are leaning towards the pellet stove, because
of the convience, but aren't for sure yet...
Lemms

Where do you live? What is the current price on a ton of premium pellets in your neighborhood?

For us, pellets are cheap and natural gas is not an option, but your mileage may vary. I like Quad stoves. Well made, easy to operate, not a whole lot of settings to deal with and not too frequent cleanings. If on a thermostat one just feeds it and sits back to enjoy the warmth.

"Wood scroungers" is just that , scrounging for wood and can take all year at different times and all during the year. ( I have done that for a few years )

" Wood cutting" is a little different . When you have a supply or know of an area you can get wood then its a little different. I have 3 different places i get wood:

#1 Old railroad tracks that are no longer in use with a large supply of wood that farmers loved to have cleared to use the land.

#2 Farmers with acres of land and need trees maintained or just taken out.

#3 Urban logging as were many people/home owners wish to have there trees taken out that pay to have to done.

Just cutting wood for the year took 3 days of the week X 3 weeks ( 6 days in the woods & 3 days at paid urban logging ) = 9 days of cutting of this past year for 14 cords of wood for my self + 7 more cords i gave to ...........People "in need" of wood.
Spent 4 days splitting my wood (at a different time) and 3 days at stacking wood (at a different time)
So thats 16 total days of work for the year for my 14 cords + 7 gave away.
Not that i needed 14 cords for my self this year , there was just extra urban wood that needed taken out. So in all, getting wood is not a lot of time out of the year if you have a supply to get it from. scrounging is more time but normally not more work ...... its just spread out.

BeGreen,
I live in central WI, and can currently get premium wood pellets for $180/ton.
That is why pellets seems like an attractive option... Plus the fact that I can mix 50/5-0 cord with the Quad.
I can get a ton of corn for $120. So, a ton and a half of each would come to about $450 in fuel.
After hearing all of the posts...The two things that scare me the most about going with a pellet stove are:
1) The noise - It sounds like these things may get annoying after the "new" feeleing wears off. I plan on having it
between my living room and kitchen.
Is a Mt. Vernon, running on Med, really that noisy that it can be bothersome?
2) Problems with all of the moving parts.

People also mention having heat if we loose power. I suppose that could be a problem. However, we haen't
lost power, for more than a couple of hours, in a long long time aroud here. So, I'm not going to think to much
into that. (Now, because I said that, we'll be without power for a couple days while the temp in 20 below.)

Lemms

I can only speak for the 1200i which was a very simple and reliable stove. There aren't a lot of moving parts and almost no settings to fiddle with. The moving parts are 2 fans and the auger motor. All are made with high-quality motors for long life. It's best to think of the pellet stove as a small wood furnace. The Quad can be put on a digital thermostat so that it heats up the house before you wake. We really liked that feature.

90% of the time we never noticed the sound of the unit. It was background noise, the same as the refrig or furnace. With the convection blower on medium the 1200i was much quieter than the wood insert blower we had prior to that. Go to a store on a very quiet day (weekday usually) and listen for a while.

BeGreen and everyone else...Thanks for the information.
I guess that we have decided on getting a pellet stove over a wood stove. That may make us seem lazy to some of you out there. However, currently, we both seem to have long days, and our weekends always seem to have something going on. When I do have free time, I usually like to go bow hunting, bird hunting, or maybe just relax and see what my brothers are up to... All three of my brother are currently burning wood (1 wood stove and 2 outdoor boilers). I guess that I am just going to try pellets and see how things go. If I find myself finding the time to cut wood with my brothers, I can switch it out for a wood stove.

So, I am really interested in opinions on different pellet stoves out there. As I said, we are currently looking at the Quadra-Fire Mt. Vernon or OB1200.
BeGreen, you made me feel a little better about the Quadra-Fire pellet stoves. My guess is that all Quadra-Fires should be pretty similar. It sounds like the guts of them are all pretty similar. The differences being size and design. Would that be a pretty accurate assumption?
Any other opinions...
Again, I want to thank everyone fr all of you comments...
Keep the opinions on different pellet stoves coming...
Lemms

We have the free standing Castile, it's been our primary heat source still last Jan when we installed. We ended up installing in a rough-in alcove in the basement, the dining, living, and kitchen are directly above all open cathedral ceilings so the main rooms stay nice and toasty. The bedrooms stay a bit cooler on colder days, but a fan works for that. I also throw the furnance fan on occasionally, more for the filtering aspect than heat transfer, although it does pop the bedrooms up a degree or two if I run it long. We too were initially going to go with a wood stove, namely the Quad Isle Royale. If our budget was unliimited we probably would have gone that route, but would have needed to expend thousands more due to needing a line 34' of chimney. Anyway, we been very happy with the stove we have, we save a bit if money by mixing with corn. During the colder months when the stove can run full time, we burn 100% corn. If you're ok with the maint which is a must do, and the looks of the blow touch fire, you'll be happy. If you buy the ceramic log set (not cheap), realize (in our experince!) that they only last a season or so, we've gone through two since install and now just run without. The Castile is a bit loud on the high setting so keep that in mind, I've heard the Mt. Vernon is quieter? Good luck,
B

Best ask MSG who has sold them all. I can only speak for the 1200i. If the freestanding 1200 uses the same components, then I would be comfortable recommending it. The older Mt. Vernon is powerful and has good capacity, but on high was noisy. The new Mt. Vernon is quite different from last years model, a complete redesign that looks impressive and quiet. However, you may have to wait in line, the early ones haven't arrived yet and are mostly all spoken for.

I agree with BeGreen - the New Mt. Vernon might be an excellent option. The newest version available this year has completely new heat exchanger (eliminated the tubes with pull rod cleaning setup), firebox design, and a new 7 day digital thermostat that can be set for days, hours, temperature and burn rate for the various fuels you may be burning (wood pellet, corn, sunflower seed, and wheat). The Mt Vernon is also available as an insert also this year. This puts out a lot of heat on maximum setting and they do claim that the newest version is quieter than the old ones. For a" touch and go" stove - just fill, set temp, and enjoy the heat type stove - this may be one of the better buys on the market. 60k max BTU is a very impressive amount of heat.

Okay, I have bneen checking on the Mt. Vernons, and there are only two available in the area. They plan to use them in the store for a while, because, apparantly, they are testing them for Quadra-Fire... They sound like some awesome upgrades. However, they are asking $3,000 for the new style. I can pick up the old style for $2,345. So, I think that we are going to go with the old style. Does anyone see that as a bad decision. More than the price difference, I am afraid of buying a unit that is being "tested" yet...
As for noise...The Mt. Vernon is rated for 60,000 btu to heat about 3,000 sq. ft.. My house if a 1,600 sq. ft. ranch. So, I really shouldn't have to fun it on high that often if at all... Right? Anyone know how it's noise level is on Med or Low?
Also....Inexperience here, but what do people mean by "alcove"?

Thanks...
Lemms

Alcove is basically a rough in space for a fireplace, in my situation it was part of the original construction where the chimney chase is. I think your decision to go with the older Mt. Vernon model is a good one, I try to shy away from brand new designs until they have been proven, and it sounds like there has already been some issues with the newer stove?

GotzTheHotz,
Thanks for the answer to the alcove question. From the way that people were talking about them, that is kind of what I figured it was, but wasn't sure...
Thanks also vote the vote of confidence on the Mt. Vernon.
I'm hoping to pick it up tonight, unless if something would change my mind before then. However, I don't see that happening...

Lemms, go to the store at its quietest time and have them fire up the old style Mt. Vernon. Try it on high , med. high, etc. See what you think. I don't think you'll go wrong with the older model. It is a good design, but it will be noisier. However, in a couple years you can sell it and update to the newer stove knowing it's been time tested in the field. In our area, the resale value on used, nice condition Quads is pretty good. Our's sold in 2 days on Craigslist.

BrotherBart said:
Webmaster said:
And if you don't get a rush when the chainsaw starts on the second pull, burn pellets or gas.

Amen, Brother - ' I love the smell of two cycle in the morning!'

Would anyone out there say that a Harmon XXV or P61A is a far better stove than a Quad Mt. Vernon?
I can pick up the Mt. Vernon for about $600 less than the comparable Harmons. So, I think that I'll be getting one tonight.

The Harmons and Quads are both great pellet stoves. But you'll have to be the judge about what works best for you. Discussing which one is better is futile, like having a Mac vs PC debate. The Quads are simpler to operate and can run off a digital thermostat in a location unaffected by the direct heat of the stove. If that appeals to you then that's a good fit. The Harmon's have a lot more settings that allow the user to tweak performance finely. They are reputed to burn just about anything. So if that is good, then go for that. Either one is a good stove. Maybe you shouldn't rush t buy one tonight. Instead, go to the stores and listen to the stoves. If quiet is important, maybe the Harman is a better personal choice. Read the manuals, decide then which is the best fit for - you.

BeGreen,
I do intend to check them both out tonight at the stores, and listen to each of them run. I just have a pretty good feeling that I am going to go with the Mt. Vernon. The biggest drawback to that model, from what I've heard, is the volume of the fan when it is on High. But as also stated it is putting out 60,000 btu on High. You should expect some noise. And the fact that I should rarely be running it on High, due to my 1,600 sq. ft. house.
However, I do plan on looking at them both...

Sounds like you've narrowed it down to good choices. I don't think you will go wrong with either. Best of luck .let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.