Pellet stove with forced hot air on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robzheat

Hearth Supporter
Sep 30, 2006
Ok, Lets hear it.
My wife called to tell me it was cold in the house so she put the pellet stove on, then she said it was taking a long time to heat the house, so she also kicked on the FHA furnace. I guess it was 62 in the house and the pellet stove took more that 1 1 seconds to heat the house to 70. So what do you think about the FHA and pellet stove on at the same time ( combustion air).

P.S No fresh air kit , yet

Does your furnace have fresh air intake?
I wouldn't be too worried unless they are in the same room.
Why shut the stove off?
just turn the temp down a bit and it will turn itself back on if it gets cold, this is what makes a pellet stove so convinient.

I can't see where the pellet stove would be any worse than a bathroom fan, kitchen stove fan, clothes dryer or other appliance that exhausts house air outside (unless as mentioned, the stove and furnace happen to be in the same room. Maybe running all those at once might cause some problems, but unless you live in a super tight house, shouldn't be a problem.

Anecdotally, I remember dozens of years ago, we had a fireplace burning and some guests hit what they thought was the light switch, but actually the whole-house attic fan switch. In the few seconds it was on, it managed to suck a pretty good cloud of smoke back down the fireplace chimney and into the house. But something of that magnitude was meant to move 1000's of cfm air instead of 10's like most other appliances.

Corey

GVA has it right, it depends on one's setup. Where is your furnace located in relation to the pellet stove? Where does the furnace get its combustion air from?

Our pellet stove and propane stove were both on digital thermostats. Most mornings they fired off together. The pellet stove was in the living room and the propane stove in the basement pit with it's own outside air supply. Worked fine.

I have an advantage II T, I just cleaned it out and reinstalled it. Now when I turn it on, both blowers start up and the lower three lights flash at the same time on both the blower and heat setting. After about a minute of this the lights continue to flash and the blowers power down to very low levels. What happened? It worked fine before I took it outside to clean it. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.