Pellet stove OAK kit and Humidity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal65

Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2006
We are breaking records with our cold temperatures this year in Southern California. It's been between 10 and 20 degrees every morning for the last five days.

I have read that OAK "Outside Air" kits help keep some humidity in the house. I am considering installing one because I can't get my living area above 24 to 28% humidity. It is too dry for me and the rest of the family. All of you guys with OAK kits is there a big difference or a minor change in the humidity after the OAK kit?

My setup is a Harman XXV, 1800 sq ft house, Stove area about 75 degrees, distant rooms around 64 degrees. Freestanding stove installed in front of zero clearance fireplace -- installing a OAK kit may be a challenge.
Thanks

thread bump.

SoCal65 said:
We are breaking records with our cold temperatures this year in Southern California. It's been between 10 and 20 degrees every morning for the last five days.

I have read that OAK "Outside Air" kits help keep some humidity in the house. I am considering installing one because I can't get my living area above 24 to 28% humidity. It is too dry for me and the rest of the family. All of you guys with OAK kits is there a big difference or a minor change in the humidity after the OAK kit?

My setup is a Harman XXV, 1800 sq ft house, Stove area about 75 degrees, distant rooms around 64 degrees. Freestanding stove installed in front of zero clearance fireplace -- installing a OAK kit may be a challenge.
Thanks

The outside air kit can be pretty straight forward to install. They have two ways to go about it. One is a wall thimble that has a built in port for the outside air as well as the exhaust. You could replace your exisitng thimble with it pretty easily then run the intake pipe into it.
The other way is to run the intake pipe separately. Check your manual for clearances etc. There is a little dog house to put on the outside, and the pipe (flex line) will go right through the wall.
I have heard varying reports about how much humidity people think it keeps in the house, so I can't give you any definite on that one... Not to try to spark controversy but it is said that efficiency goes up a little bit with the oak (as you call it).

Not sure how high you run your fans, but have you tried a kettle of water on the front (top)of the stove? You certainly won't boil water, but if I leave my fan turned down (during the day while I'm at work) I sometimes put a kettle of water to add a little moisture to the air...

If you are really wanting to add humidity and the OAK is only intended to accomplish that goal then I think you'll get more bang for your buck with an actual humidifier appliance. Nothing fancy, just the plug in type from walmart. We hover in the 30s and immediately noticed the dryness compared to our NG heated home.

Does the Outside Air Kit make a big difference or a minor change in the humidity level? I have a couple of humidifiers going. But why wrestle with them if I don't have to. I read many post in this forum about outside air already and I like what I'm hearing.

I would think it wouldn't change much since the air outside of the house is usualy just as dry as the air is inside, or somewhat close.
But on the other hand when the humidity levels outside start to drop you may not notice it inside as quickly with the OAK as you are not pulling the moisture out of the house.
I don't know. :coolsmile:

You will still have problems with humidity. The amount of water that air can hold is dependant on it's temperature. Warm air holds a lot more water. When you take the cold atmosphere and warm it up, the warm air tries to pull water out of everything it can. The surrounding air, furniture, your skin...

I'd get a larger humidifier.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.