Pellet Stove Door Gasket Replacement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Well, have to do my first door gasket. Any suggestions or tips? Is all stove gasket cement the same?

Already saw the 2 types of gaskets.

Pellet stove door gasket - white or graphite impregnated?
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/83355/

This gasket has seen better days!

It is
Order Number: KS-5060-1160

Pelpro Door Gasket - 5/8" x 60". Use with all models and all years.

So I know I need 5 feet of 5/8" gasket

Attachments

• Pellet Stove Door Gasket Replacement?
    PelproDoorGasket1sc.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 3,288
    PelproDoorGasket2SC.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 2,670
DO NOT get the adhesive on the glass. Impossible to get off. Take your time removing the rope gasket and clean the area as thoroughly as possible. Measure the rope first, using the old gasket and use small amounts of adhesive to adhere it to the door. I need to do this too...

I don't know what adhesive is with that particular kit Don, however acetone is one solvent that will allow removal of a number of gasket adhesives.

Just be sure to use outdoors and keep any heat or flames well away.

Oooh that rope looks really beat. I'm also replacing mine this week
but it was only beat up in one spot. Figured I'd do it now
since the stove is going on 7 years old and it was the original gasket.
I plan on using hi temp red silicone since that is what the Mfg
used to install the original. I used a wire brush by hand and a
dremel with a little wire wheel on it to get in the channel to remove
all the old sealant. Was not fun but the dremel made it much easier.
Ordered the rope from Eric here on the forum btw.
Some tips I've seen around here say not to stretch it and to try
and make as clean a cut as possible using a sharp blade.
If you do a forum search you will find the threads with all the info/tips.

Just before the start of this season, I changed the door gasket on my Whitfield and I must tell you that the glue used by the factory was very difficult to remove... no solvent in the household was able to dissolve it. It was some sort of high temp silicone. I tried acetone, gasoline and alcohol. The only way was hard labour with a sharp and narrow wood chisel.

I used this ceramic glue with the new gasket:

http://eshop.silvan.dk/vare_Ceratherm-keramisk-lim_123268

It's waterbased and has much in common with the sealant used for silencers on cars.

I know Rutland makes the Graphite Door Gasket.. I replaced mine two years ago and it didn't hold up at all. I prefer the white and it's easier to make a clean cut for the seam. I think it's easier to work with as well. Good advice from all the other posts. Hope that helps.

Hello

Wow thanks for the info you guys you are the best!

You guys make replacing the gasket much more enjoyable!

So it looks like I had the Orig Factory High Temp Red Silicone holding the gasket on! Using a screw driver I peeled it away and some of the silicone came with it. Then I used a razor blade knife to get the hunks of silicone off. Then used the dremel with the round brass brush! Thanks Xena.

Then cleaned up with the Acetone of course!! Great advice, it did not take long!!

I picked up some stove gasket cement & sealer at the local hardware store made my Meeco Mfg Co.

It says to apply and even bead of adhesive and close door for 2 hours on a newspaper so the door will not be glued shut!
Has anyone tried this Meeco adhesive?
http://www.amazon.com/Meeco-Gasket-Cement-Stove-Sealer/dp/B000LNWLDU

Sorry Stovensen I cannot get your adhesive around NH USA.

Attachments

PelproDoorGasket3sc.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,902
    PelproDoorGasket5sc.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,762
    PelproDoorGasket6sc.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,743
    PelproDoorGasket7SC.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,826
LIpelletpig said:
I know Rutland makes the Graphite Door Gasket.. I replaced mine two years ago and it didn't hold up at all. I prefer the white and it's easier to make a clean cut for the seam. I think it's easier to work with as well. Good advice from all the other posts. Hope that helps.

Hello LIpelletpig

Thank-you very much with your experience, I guess I will stick with the gasket that the manufacturer sends me from Alberta. It is probably the white gasket.

Don, thanks a lot for the link to that "Meeco Red Devil" glue. Now I realize that I've paid way too much for those 17 ml I bought for my door gasket. On Amazon.com you pay $2.47 for 88 ml and at my local hardware store I paid what corresponds to $15.52 for only 17 ml.
Would you pay $80.40 for those 88 ml of Meeco Red Devil glue? I guess not.

I'm pretty shure the Meeco Red Devil glue is cooked on the same recipy than the glue I bought... I can tell it from the warning text written on the sharp photo of the bottle in your post. Some kind of alkaline high temp mortar containing potassium or is it sodium silicate ( written under the Warning: ).

I'm convinced that Holst's Gun Gum ( for fixing leaks in exhaust silencers on cars ) can do the trick just as well. I'll give it a try next time.

Why not just use high temp RTV from your local auto parts store?

Checkthisout said:
Why not just use high temp RTV from your local auto parts store?

That's probably what I'll go pick up today. The rope gasket I ordered on Friday from Eric
arrived this morning.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Temperature rating is what you need to take into consideration.

I have permatex hi temp 700F rated...that good enough?

Don did you get yours done? I did it yesterday. Used the 700F red permatex stuff.
It is what was used on the original that lasted 7 years so figured what the hay.
Didn't come out half bad. Made a little mess where the two ends meet but
this was the first time I'd done a door gasket. Double thumbs up for Eric Kinsman
for sending me the gasket so quickly. :coolsmile:

great seal, great burn, Ima happy camper.

Xena said:
Don did you get yours done? I did it yesterday. Used the 700F red permatex stuff.
It is what was used on the original that lasted 7 years so figured what the hay.
Didn't come out half bad. Made a little mess where the two ends meet but
this was the first time I'd done a door gasket. Double thumbs up for Eric Kinsman
for sending me the gasket so quickly. :coolsmile:

Hi Xena

My gasket was suppose to arrive today but I do not see it yet. Yours looks great!! Nice Pic!! Can you come over and do mine??

Attachments

LowesDoorGasket.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,050
Don2222 said:
Hello

I just found out that Lowes has the door gasket and gasket cement pretty cheap!

Yes i seen this gasket kit a while back in my local lowes. HMMMM. I see in the pic only a 1 star rating.
I would check that out and see why the dissatisfaction.

I got mine from Eric. Didn't have the desire or time to run around
looking for one and he sent it out on Sat. - It got here Tuesday.
Wasn't expensive either. Wouldn't worry about that review for
the one at Lowes. Only one person reviewed it and they said it
lasted less than one season. Said the adhesive didn't hold.
I'd place my bet on user error.

Proper surface preparation and meeting adhesive set up requirements is essential when using any adhesive.

If that isn't done you get BAD BONDING (in other words it no sticky for long).

Xena said:

Hello

Yes, you are right. Also using the dremel and acetone really helps to clean up the where the gasket goes!. This stove I have should burn much better also. I have not tested it yet but I want to build a hearth where it will be displayed. Have to get my schetches done!

What do you think of a raised hearth with a cubby? A small door in front for storing cleaning brushes and tools??

Don2222 said:
Xena said:

Hello

Yes, you are right. Also using the dremel and acetone really helps to clean up the where the gasket goes!. This stove I have should burn much better also. I have not tested it yet but I want to build a hearth where it will be displayed. Have to get my schetches done!

What do you think of a raised hearth with a cubby? A small door in front for storing cleaning brushes and tools??

Building a Hearth to display the stove is a good idea..

But I see at least 3 problems with that though...
1.) What if buyer already has a Hearth (board)??
2.) Dont make it cost to much more. Whoever is buying this stove, is looking at used stoves for a reason (budget).
3.) What if they want a standard board and you build a corner unit? Or vice versa?

Good luck Don. Wish you lived closer. I would have you build me a Hearth pad with cubbies and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.