Pellet newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabor129

Sep 26, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Finally I got my ducks in order! Got my permit to install my stove, so I can start the work! I laid tiles for the hearth, got my exhaust pipes ( 4" basement install), today I got my stove, (an FP-45), got a 3" semi flexible drier pipe for the OAK.

And now I have another question!!!!

I have paneling on my basement wall, should I remove it, and the drywall, replace it with the cement sheet and tiles, or should it be okay to run the vent on the paneling? the piping would be 3" away from the paneling, but I heard that the piping gets very hot as well!

What exactly do you mean by running the vent on the paneling?

What does your owners manual state for clearances? Check that out 1st. If you are required to pull a permit then they SHOULD be able to inform you as to what they require.

I have to run the vent up 5' and then through the wall to the outside! I have the wall mount rings which will keep the vent 3" from the paneling, just wandering if that is enough!
You need a thimble where the vent goes through the paneling and sheet rock and exists outdoors. Otherwise just keep proper clearance away from the paneling. Some people opt to build a full hearth with the wall behind the stove built up of brick, stone etc... With a pellet stove that really is just a matter of looks and personal appeal.

I have to run the vent up 5' and then through the wall to the outside! I have the wall mount rings which will keep the vent 3" from the paneling, just wandering if that is enough!
Gotcha. Just follow the install manual for clearances. And as others said use a thimble to pass through the wall.

Reactions: Gabor129
What does your owners manual state for clearances? Check that out 1st. If you are required to pull a permit then they SHOULD be able to inform you as to what they require.
The owners manual states 2" of clearance min. from combustibles. I was just checking this against the experiences on this forum! You guys are very helpful!

You need a thimble where the vent goes through the paneling and sheet rock and exists outdoors. Otherwise just keep proper clearance away from the paneling. Some people opt to build a full hearth with the wall behind the stove built up of brick, stone etc... With a pellet stove that really is just a matter of looks and personal appeal.
Thank you! That makes perfect sense! I knew about the thimble part, but was not sure of the sheet rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.