PE Pedestal vs Legs - Any Benefits?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
Looking at some Pacific Energy stoves and some have pedistal and some have legs. Any advantage to having the pedistal over legs? Is the ash pan larger on the pedistal models? Any other differences?

Thanks!!!!!!!!
Bill

Reactions: cron
Hi we're long time burners that appreciate a stove with legs. Convenient storage space for tools, snow covered logs etc. Now some structures require a pedestal stove...check with your Township for code requirements.

leeave96, I have the PE Spectrum which has a pedestal. I chose the pedestal model for two reasons: 1) The contemporary design of the pedestal matches the contemporary design in the great room where the stove is located; 2) The pedestal hides the OAK I installed with the stove. The 4" air intake from the Outside Air Kit enters the pedestal from under the stove so it is fully hidden from view.

The Spectrum has been exemplary in every way. It has exceeded my highest expectations during the two years I have used it. Many others will say the same about their stoves by other manufacturers.

Many wood stoves with legs are also very attractive and fit quite nicely into some interior design themes. As with most personal preference issues, choose the one you like best. :)

Edit: I never use the ash pan. In my opinion they are more a gimmick than an efficient way of removing ashes from the stove. For me, shoveling ashes out of the burn chamber is much more convenient and creates less dust when done properly. "...when done properly." means you slide the ashes off the shovel into the ash pan.

Having the pedestal does give you a bigger ash-pan. Also, I believe the pedestals are taller than the legs, meaning you won't have to bend down as far to load wood.
Another thing about having "legs" is that you have an area right under the stove that gathers dust and requires a bit of effort to sweep out. The pedestal stoves are easy to clean up around.
Remember if you want the ash drawer in the pedestal it is an option, otherwise the pedestal just has a plate on the front.
Your sig. says you have a Woodstock Keystone. You don't like it anymore? Worn out?

Personal opinion here. If you decide on the PE, I would not pay extra for the ash pan. It's a very good stove, but has a poor ash dump design. Fortunately the firebox is deep, so ash cleanout is not that frequent. As for the pedestal or legs, get the one that you and your mate like the best. Both are fine.

BeGreen said:
Personal opinion here. If you decide on the PE, I would not pay extra for the ash pan. It's a very good stove, but has a poor ash dump design. Fortunately the firebox is deep, so ash cleanout is not that frequent. As for the pedestal or legs. Get the one that you and your mate like the best. Both are fine.
I agree on ash pan not worth the time or effort or money hope to get a block off plate for mine as keep popping small brick out when cleaning

On my free standing in a fireplace stove, admittedly not a PE stove, with the legs convection air travels under the stove and up the heat shield in the back. Under the stove is very cool evidence of it. At the moment the stove is cruising at 675 and the bricks under the middle of the stove are 93 degrees.

Playing the devil's advocate here::-/
I find the ash dump system on the Summit to work well (sorry BG). :)
It took a bit of getting used to, but first thing I do after being away all day is open the trap-door and push all the ash from the VERY front edge of the firebox into the hole. Then I snap the door shut and rake the coals forward, then load the stove.
The big ash drawer is a convenient place to let the ash and embers cool. Any CO or odours made by the ashes and embers is drawn into the stove, then out the chimney.

The Alderlea's system might be a bit different.

Jimbob said:
Playing the devil's advocate here::-/
I find the ash dump system on the Summit to work well (sorry BG). :)
It took a bit of getting used to, but first thing I do after being away all day is open the trap-door and push all the ash from the VERY front edge of the firebox into the hole. Then I snap the door shut and rake the coals forward, then load the stove.
The big ash drawer is a convenient place to let the ash and embers cool. Any CO or odours made by the ashes and embers is drawn into the stove, then out the chimney.

The Alderlea's system might be a bit different.
Maybe I was spoiled with the Waterfords 5x5 dump, but a 2x2 doesnt cutit for me shovel is faster,As for leaving hot embers in that unsealed pan with air shut down on a burn I am not sure on Co or smell thinks
it will escape IMO

Jimbob said:
Your sig. says you have a Woodstock Keystone. You don't like it anymore? Worn out?

No - the Keystone is like new and a terrific stove. I am adding an addition to my home and it is on the other end of the house. Under the addition will be a basement that we will make into a den and that's where the new stove will go. This install will be a workhorse and the living room where the Keystone is will become a more formal living room and the Keystone suits that decor great. So I'd like a stove that is easy on the eyes, side or top load, front door/glass (to make it a bit easier to wipe off the glass and ash pan. Convection would be great and I'd really like a cat stove - but the PE stoves are on the list too.

Thanks!
Bill

Volume wise the ash pans on the leg or pedestal model are the same, it's just easier to stuff more into the pedestal one. As for size the stove are within a 1/4 inch of each other, so as to which one is better it's mainly a looks issue.

don't have to sweep the dust out from under a pedestal. stuff accumulates under stove legs.

Ah, okay that makes sense, I didn't realise you were looking to install a second stove.
I would look at a Spectrum, or Summit.

Or the Drolet Sahara:

Attachments

• PE Pedestal vs Legs - Any Benefits?
    spectrum_classic_side.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 428
    summit_thumb_1.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 487
    Sahara_001-XLarge.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 585