Papa Bear baffle plate installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
After removing all of the crumbling/cemented in firebricks, I got busy installing and cutting bricks as needed. Went to Tractor Supply and loaded up on new fire brick - used a segmented diamond tip angle grinder blade - the bricks cut very easily as needed. I also had a piece of 5/16" plate steel cut to install as a baffle plate. Using a couple of pieces of scrap angle I welded them onto the bottom sides of the plate to assist in holding the top row of bricks in place. Following the ideas from this forum, I angled the baffle plate up and directly at the bend in the top. Even sawed the upper side fire bricks at an angle to support the plate - and cut out notches in the bricks for the short pieces of angle originally welded onto the sides of the stove.

I just need some colder air here in Western Colorado... been wearing shorts the last week since I got here! I will burn a small test fire.
[Hearth.com] Papa Bear baffle plate installed

Reactions: 45cheese2
Excellent job bacato.

Reactions: bacato
I had heard about the locomotive sound, and I heard this while it was warming up. Had to burn the paint in with some small fires. I'm really pleased so far. Turn your volume up for the video.

Attachments

• IMG_8561.mov
    9.3 MB