Paint bubbling and wall fire hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tabatha

Dec 28, 2017
Chattanooga, TN
Hello, I have recently rented a hone with a wood burning fireplace. The owner had a chimney sweep out to look at it before I moved in and he said it was safe to use. I've never used a wood burning fireplace and don't know if I'm doing it right. I have the flue open while fire is burning. When I have the doors open the paint above the fireplace on the wood trim bubbles up and the wall gets so hot you can't touch it. There is no mantle, only a wood trim around it. Am I supposed to leave the glass doors closed at all times?

Attachments

• Paint bubbling and wall fire hot
    1514464360811-1164889265.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 736
Last edited by a moderator:
the modern stoves you have to leave the door door shut, or it will overheat. should be some type of air control. should look for a model sticker so you can down load intructions

Definitely don't want to be burning in that set up until you find out what is going on with the excessive heat on the wall. Very easy to burn a house down at night when something like that happens and everyone is asleep. Make sure all the smoke detectors are functioning properly. I believe my detectors would be going off if my wall got hot enough to bubble the paint on it! Even a perfectly operating stove can prove very dangerous if it is not operated properly. You must get an education on how to burn in a particular stove before you try winging it. Good luck sorting things out.

That set up should have a blower and you should be using it. It should always operate with the doors closed except maybe on start up. It looks like a prefab unit and those normally come with a blower.

Everyone here is speculating on how to use it until you can provide us with a make and model.
It should have an ID tag somewhere inside the unit.

Fuego Flame, do a searchn on them here and find out about it. I would use it only for ambiance at best. Burnt trim is a sure sign of worry.

Reactions: webby3650
Hello, I have recently rented a hone with a wood burning fireplace. The owner had a chimney sweep out to look at it before I moved in and he said it was safe to use. I've never used a wood burning fireplace and don't know if I'm doing it right. I have the flue open while fire is burning. When I have the doors open the paint above the fireplace on the wood trim bubbles up and the wall gets so hot you can't touch it. There is no mantle, only a wood trim around it. Am I supposed to leave the glass doors closed at all times?
Do not burn with that set up. You need to replace that bubbling painted wood with a non-combustible material (stone, ceramic tile, etc.). There is zero clearance involved with that set up there.

Hello, I have recently rented a hone with a wood burning fireplace. The owner had a chimney sweep out to look at it before I moved in and he said it was safe to use.

call your landlord asap. show him / her what is happening with the unit he / she told you was safe. have them show you the correct way to operate the unit