Good: NEW INSERT! Bad: Possible fireplace paint problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rurallife

Oct 5, 2022
Midwest
After months of considerable research here and elsewhere, and after building our woodsheds and stacking firewood for the past two years, we are now the proud owners of a Lopi Evergreen insert. The reputable local installer did a fine job with the aesthetic challenge we presented them, fitting the shroud to preserve the arch of the fireplace.

As you can see in the photo, the brick fireplace -- which we had painted white upon moving in a few years ago -- has taken considerable smoke due to persistent smoke issues we had while using the open fireplace. (The length of the chimney in relation to the roof was adequate, so the culprit was possibly the shape/size of the opening and possibly surrounding trees affecting winds.) I figured we would simply touch up the stain. Also need to find a way to hide the blower cord, but that is for another day.

The paint touch up mission sent me to the basement to find leftover paint cans labeled by the painters three years ago. I was dismayed to see that, while I explicitly asked for appropriate fireplace paint and have the email to prove it, the can marked "FIREPLACE" is merely latex paint, Benjamin Moore's Regal Select in matte (same as our walls). This paint lists masonry as an application, but it is not rated for high temperatures, of course.

We used the fireplace a good deal over the past few winters and have not seen bubbling or peeling of the paint. However, we now have an insert emanating much higher temperatures outside the firebox. Indeed it is SITTING ON TOP OF a hearth painted with latex paint. The installing company never inquired about the nature of the paint prior to doing the work, and now that I've raised the concern they said it may be fine as-is but suggested applying high heat paint around the insert. Again, the insert is SITTING ON TOP OF, coming into direct contact with, the paint in question. We obviously can't address that unless the insert comes out. Aaaagh!

Should we be concerned about paint literally melting beneath the insert? Will heat activate VOCs, degrade the existing paint or cause other troubles? I am so bummed by this issue when we should be riding high about the new insert. I hope I'm overly concerned and that this does not amount to a crisis or even a problem, but high heat paint exists for a reason. Thoughts welcome.

Thank you

IMG-5396.jpg

If it were me, I'd figure the paint will probably need to be replaced. That'd be the safe option. Call some high temp paint companies and Lopi for advice. Encapsulation might be enough. If there isnt any air, it can't burn.

Burning paint off gasses all sorts of nasty chemicals, in addition to the fire hazard. As the insert gets hotter and hotter with additional burns, new paint would begin to cook.

That said, I'd be curious what would happen, so, with open windows, fans, respirator, and fire extinguisher, I'd break in the insert. But I'd be accepting the consequences of my stupidity. It has the ability to go badly!

Reactions: SpaceBus
If it were me, I'd figure the paint will probably need to be replaced. That'd be the safe option. Call some high temp paint companies and Lopi for advice. Encapsulation might be enough. If there isnt any air, it can't burn.

Burning paint off gasses all sorts of nasty chemicals, in addition to the fire hazard. As the insert gets hotter and hotter with additional burns, new paint would begin to cook.

That said, I'd be curious what would happen, so, with open windows, fans, respirator, and fire extinguisher, I'd break in the insert. But I'd be accepting the consequences of my stupidity. It has the ability to go badly!
I find it unlikely that the paint will be an issue as well, but good advice to be safety oriented. The way I see it the OP might as well break it in and keep a close eye on it until the stove dies down.

Reactions: rurallife and EbS-P