Pacific Energy 27 Running Hot, ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
Hi All,

A few times now this season I have noticed my PE Super 27 running very hot. This morning the stove top thermometer was almost pinned with a medium sized load of wood and the air intake very close to off. The stove is 10 years old now and I had the door gasket replaced two years ago. I checked the entire stove with a lighter for air leaks and found the only time the flame got sucked in was at some of the connections on the stove pipe.

Would air being sucked into the stove pipe cause the stove to run hot? It’s regular black stove pipe. I’ve never replaced the baffle, if it’s worn out would that cause excessive air and should I replace it after 10 years? Any other reasons why the stove might be running hot?

Is there a coal stuck in the ash hole door?

Reactions: FireUpTheChainsaw
Is there a coal stuck in the ash hole door?

I’m going to check the ash door in the morning (wish I hadn’t gotten it) but I checked under the stove with with a lighter and didn’t see the flame get pulled in.

Extra dry wood this year?

I’m going to check the ash door in the morning
If the stove is like my SIL's 2019 T5, the spring-loaded ash door should close, then slide back into a slot, ensuring that it is locked and can't leak excessive air into the firebox.

If the stove is like my SIL's 2019 T5, the spring-loaded ash door should close, then slide back into a slot, ensuring that it is locked and can't leak excessive air into the firebox.
That is unless a coal or clinker gets caught in the door.

That is unless a coal or clinker gets caught in the door.
I don't think the door will close all the way and slide back into the locked position in that case..

Extra dry wood this year?

Wood is definitely on the drier side. Mostly red oak, white oak, maple, pear, and white birch. A lot of it standing dead when cut and then seasoned.

I don't think the door will close all the way and slide back into the locked position in that case..

I really have not used the ash door much in 10 years mainly because it’s a pain to make sure it’s free of coals and completely closed. Maybe that’s why they added the extra feature make sure it locks shut.

Close the air down sooner, and all the way if need be

Door gasket might be ok, but the window gasket might have leaks, any noticeable difference in fire activity while viewing? Any spots on the glass that dirtier faster then before?

After closer inspection this morning, I think I may have found the problem. Everything besides a couple spots on the stove pipe joints that were drawing in the flame from the lighter, has checked out on the stove. Then this morning I was laying on the basement floor checking under the stove to make sure the ash door was closed all the way when I noticed that the door gasket is sagging on the bottom. The rest of it is very tight.
Pacific Energy 27 Running Hot, ideas?Pacific Energy 27 Running Hot, ideas?
does this look right? Is there anything I can do to fix it or do I need to replace the gasket? This is gasket is two years old.

Looks like it didn't get glued properly. Lift it off gently at the bottom and try to clean out any debris behind the gasket. Then reglue that area behind the gasket with RTV. Set the gasket back in position. Close the door and let it setup overnight.

Is that an OEM gasket from the dealer?

Looks like it didn't get glued properly. Lift it off gently at the bottom and try to clean out any debris behind the gasket. Then reglue that area behind the gasket with RTV. Set the gasket back in position. Close the door and let it setup overnight.

Is that an OEM gasket from the dealer?

Thank you. Yes, I brought the door to the dealer and they put the gasket on for me.

It looks like white gasket material. That's what threw me off.

Dealers don’t always use oem gasket rope. Higher profits when they use generic.

High temp silicone,the red stuff in the caulking gun tube

p_1000179876.jpg

Last edited:
Dealers don’t always use oem gasket rope. Higher profits when they use generic.
Yes, I learned that lesson, with Sutter Home no less. They provided Meeco gold gasket which worked terribly.

Never buy gasket from a wine company@

Attachments

• Pacific Energy 27 Running Hot, ideas?
    ci-sutter-home-white-zinfandel-ed1ecf24a66f56a2.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 136
I bought the Rutland gasket cement at Home Depot. Hope to be back up and and running tomorrow.

I bought the Rutland gasket cement at Home Depot. Hope to be back up and and running tomorrow.

Plain old permatex rtv from the auto parts store works great. I like the color of the ultra copper but the black is fine too.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Curing the new gasket cement with some small fires. Good timing on this mild Thanksgiving morning with the oven cranking.

Attachments

• Pacific Energy 27 Running Hot, ideas?
    CA657154-32D7-4644-AEA9-FD66D21C9B69.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 130
Plain old permatex rtv from the auto parts store works great. I like the color of the ultra copper but the black is fine too.
Yup, I used their red, but most of what I am seeing on new stoves is the black. Just don't use the Blue. It bakes as hard as a rock under high temp and is a bear to remove.

Reactions: Highbeam
While curing the gasket cement today I noticed that the glass on the bottom right corner on the windows is dark while the rest of the glass is clean (I cleaned it last night). Could this indicate an air leak coming from that corner?