Overnight Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I had some sugar maple in the garage from last winter so I took one good size split and banked it then added four splits of cherry then one small punky split.

Burning at 600 stove top and 400 for the flue temp, don't think I'll do it this way again because I can get more in n/s without the big split of sugar maple in the back.

zap

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Overnight Burn
    100_2032.webp
    179.1 KB · Views: 862
    100_2033.webp
    175.6 KB · Views: 823
    100_2035.webp
    43.7 KB · Views: 837
The pictures are from six a.m. this morning on the reload from the banking of the sugar maple last night.

zap

Attachments

100_2036.webp
    110.1 KB · Views: 810
    100_2037.webp
    95.4 KB · Views: 784
    100_2038.webp
    33.9 KB · Views: 786
Very nice, Zap. The Liberty sure provides a nice, active fire. Even more so than it's little brother, the Endeavor.

Pagey said:
Very nice, Zap. The Liberty sure provides a nice, active fire. Even more so than it's little brother, the Endeavor.

Pagey Happy Thanksgiving, we burned the Endeavor at my FIL camp and liked it but for here and heating from the basement we needed a bigger stove.

Will get interesting around here tonight with some frezzing rain and snow with winds up to 35 mph.

zap

It's supposed to hit 70 today, then drop about 40 degrees behind this front with some mixed precip for the Cumberland Plateau around 3am Friday morning. If you don't like the weather in TN, wait 10 minutes. ;-P

Nice! Looks like my stove this morning. 1 split Birch and 1 Norway 18" E/W then 2 Birch 1 Norway 10" N/S on top. Went to bed 75* back of the house woke up 68* nice bed of coals this morning! 28* degrees last night.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Love your pics Zap. Keep em' coming.
Great burn.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving Zap to you and everyone else.

I hope the freezing rain missed you. That is nasty stuff. We've got a little rain so far but right now it appears everything else will miss us....as usual.

Backwoods Savage said:
Happy Thanksgiving Zap to you and everyone else.

I hope the freezing rain missed you. That is nasty stuff. We've got a little rain so far but right now it appears everything else will miss us....as usual.

... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO NOON EST FRIDAY... ... LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON CONTINUES THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY... FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO NOON EST FRIDAY... AS WELL HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH FROM 7 PM EST FRIDAY TO 4 PM SATURDAY.

* LOCATIONS... SOUTHERN SAINT LAWRENCE COUNTY.

* HAZARDS... FREEZING RAIN... MIXED WITH SNOW AND SLEET AT TIMES TONIGHT AND EARLY FRIDAY. HEAVY AND LOCALIZED LAKE EFFECT SNOWS FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY.

* ICE ACCUMULATIONS... UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH THROUGH FRIDAY MIDDAY.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... LOCALIZED MORE THAN 6 INCHES POSSIBLE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY.

* TIMING... FREEZING RAIN AND SOME SLEET ARRIVING AFTER MIDNIGHT THEN CHANGING TO RAIN BEFORE ENDING FRIDAY MORNING. LAKE EFFECT SNOW BANDS DEVELOPING LATE FRIDAY AND CONTINUING THROUGH SATURDAY.

* IMPACTS... LIGHT ICE AND SNOW COVERED ROADS WILL CAUSE HAZARDOUS TRAVEL THROUGH SATURDAY.

Looks like I'll hook up the plow Friday morning just incase Sav.

zap

Nice thread and pictures Zap. We need more people with different types of stoves to take pictures of how they load their stoves.

Zap your stove always looks good while its working.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Todd said:
Nice thread and pictures Zap. We need more people with different types of stoves to take pictures of how they load their stoves.

Thanks Todd, I would be interested in seeing some also.

Happy Thanksgiving

zap

corey21 said:

Happy Thanksgiving.

Corey I hope you didn't put a jinx on our stove.(While its working)

zap

Happy Thanksgiving

zapny said:
corey21 said:

Happy Thanksgiving.

Corey I hope you didn't put a jinx on our stove.(While its working)

zap

Happy Thanksgiving
Nah.

Here was last nights coals with Birch and Norway 2 18's and 3 10's across the top. I just added some bigger pieces to get her going again.

Attachments

phpOjT65HAM.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 437
this is how mine gets loaded this time of year with the uglies and crap wood.

Attachments

1.webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 454
ecocavalier02 said:

You have to love those ugly BTU'S.

zap

ecocavalier02 said:

Nice! That is a packed firebox. How long will that last in the BK?

Here is a picture I just took a few minutes ago:

[Hearth.com] Overnight Burn

Dirty glass and all.

FireAnt said:
ecocavalier02 said:

Nice! That is a packed firebox. How long will that last in the BK?
that was a 21 hour load. it was warm during the day so after bout 12 hours raked the coals cranked her down even lower and fired it back up when i got home from work.

Backwoods Savage said:
Here is a picture I just took a few minutes ago:

[Hearth.com] Overnight Burn

Dirty glass and all.

Looks good Dennis, if you go for long burn times how long can you get out of your stove using your best hardwood?

zap

Zap, I don't think I've ever timed it to see how long it will go. I can say that one time I lit a fire in the morning and just let it die out. The next morning I started a fire with the coals that were left. Also one time we had to leave quit and quite unexpectedly so we did not fill the stove as there was not time. It seems that it was maybe 2/3 full. 10 hours later the house was still comfortable when we returned. I do not recall the temperature but it was not in the real bitter cold of January.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, I don't think I've ever timed it to see how long it will go. I can say that one time I lit a fire in the morning and just let it die out. The next morning I started a fire with the coals that were left. Also one time we had to leave quit and quite unexpectedly so we did not fill the stove as there was not time. It seems that it was maybe 2/3 full. 10 hours later the house was still comfortable when we returned. I do not recall the temperature but it was not in the real bitter cold of January.

We never looked at a cat stove but I still am amazed on how they work and some of the burn times.

zap

Speaking of burn times, how about the BK?!! I can not compete with that one.

Backwoods Savage said:
Speaking of burn times, how about the BK?!! I can not compete with that one.

Like the pictures show we like flames. Started our first fire of the day, started it like I normally do except I actually put a good load in right off the bat. Flue temp settled in at 500 then back down around 400 and the stove top settled in at 600, time for some coffee.

zap

Attachments

100_2070.webp
    37 KB · Views: 206
    100_2071.webp
    44.3 KB · Views: 195
    100_2073.webp
    47.7 KB · Views: 179
Status