Overfire - what to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I learned that on here. The opposite of what I thought. Too hot? Open the door. Flood it with cooler air.

As I have posted ... have learned how much I didn't know on here.

I learned that on here. The opposite of what I thought. Too hot? Open the door. Flood it with cooler air.

As I have posted ... have learned how much I didn't know on here.
I was concerned the sudden inrush of cold air might crack the cat or a stone so didn't suggest that. For a non-cat that definitely works.

Reactions: bholler
O.k. Just learned something else. :)

I was concerned the sudden inrush of cold air might crack the cat or a stone so didn't suggest that. For a non-cat that definitely works.
But I rather have a ruined cat (or even better, brick) than a ruined stove...
I.e. if you need to, open the door. Need as defined in otherwise the stove (metal) gets damaged.

It's important to know the difference between overfire and very hot. At 700º SST the stove was hot, but not in danger. It's best to stay calm and not panic.

Reactions: stoveliker
It's important to know the difference between overfire and very hot. At 700º SST the stove was hot, but not in danger. It's best to stay calm and not panic.
I know. I was responding only to your "I did not suggest that b/c of damage". Of course one should only act when there is a need. A temp of 700 only creates a need to keep an eye on the stove, and to loose some garments :)

I am with you Tahoe--so what if the house burns down...lol I am a brand new burner and it can get scary but I am learning as well...So when it gets up there and nothing is glowing I guess it is okay as long as it is about 700 and keeping an eye on the higher temperatures just in case but it is nice to know what to do and what not to do so I am learning from your thread..old clancey

@Tahoe , I'm curious what your generator situation and strategy is. A 2 week outage is nothing to sneeze at.
The power was only out for 4 days, but out furnace was out of commission for 2 weeks earlier this year.

We’ve got a nice big honda generator that plugs into a whole-house circuit controlled through the breaker box. I got 13.5 hours of continuous running from 5 gal of gas… got to be expensive after a few fill ups.

Reactions: velvetfoot
I'm not 100% on this, but I can imagine putting pots of water on the stove should act like a radiator, wicking up the heat into the water/pots and releasing it into the room.

Honestly, maybe I'm an idiot but I often am trying to keep my stove right around 700F STT. It's, according to what I've read, the high end of the "efficient" range and under the "overheat" range. That said, I've accidentally hit 1k here and there (I'm still getting used to this stove) and when I reload it if my STT is going down to 600 within an hour or two then it probably means I have some unburnt smoke going out the chimney.

I'm on, essentially, a hybrid stove. Since you're on a Cat, maybe that's why you're concerned about the 700F?

That said, I've accidentally hit 1k here and there (I'm still getting used to this stove) and when I reload it if my STT is going down to 600 within an hour or two then it probably means I have some unburnt smoke going out the chimney.

I'm on, essentially, a hybrid stove. Since you're on a Cat, maybe that's why you're concerned about the 700F?
What stove do you have? I don't think I ever heard of anyone hitting near 1K if you mean stovetop.

What stove do you have? I don't think I ever heard of anyone hitting near 1K if you mean stovetop.
I'm running an Ashley 3200 (secondary air.) STT is often ~700+ if I'm burning all the smoke and I've reloaded recently. (I jump outside a few times and check if it's translucent.) Just a second ago I loaded up and I'm 800+ (see picture) with front air-slides fully closed.

I'm running a Fresh Air Kit and have used rope-gasket near any places where it could grab extra indoor air that it isn't supposed to, such as at the top of the ash drawer and any pipe connections that a lighter showed that air was being pulled into.

I started a thread (that's gone unanswered so far) about this since I've added a "StoveCat" retrofit Catalytic Converter. It seems to increase draft a bit (it's producing hotter air afterall) and I'm thinking of adding a damper to the system to be able to tame it a bit; if nothing else as an added safety feature.

I've attached a picture in case I'm measuring wrong. I still need to get a few gadgets for better measurement/etc.

Overfire - what to do?

I'm running an Ashley 3200 (secondary air.) STT is often ~700+ if I'm burning all the smoke and I've reloaded recently. (I jump outside a few times and check if it's translucent.) Just a second ago I loaded up and I'm 800+ (see picture) with front air-slides fully closed.

I'm running a Fresh Air Kit and have used rope-gasket near any places where it could grab extra indoor air that it isn't supposed to, such as at the top of the ash drawer and any pipe connections that a lighter showed that air was being pulled into.

I started a thread (that's gone unanswered so far) about this since I've added a "StoveCat" retrofit Catalytic Converter. It seems to increase draft a bit (it's producing hotter air afterall) and I'm thinking of adding a damper to the system to be able to tame it a bit; if nothing else as an added safety feature.

I've attached a picture in case I'm measuring wrong. I still need to get a few gadgets for better measurement/etc.

View attachment 288255
I may simply be use to the Woodstock Soapstone temperatures instead of the setup you have, which is a steel stove with a Cat.

I get the highest stovetop temperatures when the stove is choked down to a low burn setting with no fire in the box. Opening up the air reduces the stovetop temperature.

1000º on a stovetop is overfiring the stove, regardless of the stove tech. It's ok for the catalyst to be that hot, but not the stove top. In low light, that area would be glowing a dull red.

Reactions: cabinwarmer
1000º on a stovetop is overfiring the stove, regardless of the stove tech. It's ok for the catalyst to be that hot, but not the stove top. In low light, that area would be glowing a dull red.
I should say, I don't intend for it to get that hot and try to make sure that it doesn't. I mostly am bringing it up because the OP is worried about 700 busting his stove.

I should say, I don't intend for it to get that hot and try to make sure that it doesn't. I mostly am bringing it up because the OP is worried about 700 busting his stove.
700º STT on a soapstone stove is about the limit. Hearthstone wants owners to keep their stoves no higher than 600º. A steel stove can go higher, but 800º is pushing it.

Unless you have stock in stove mfgs...