Oval Chimney Liner or something else?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gdp07

Dec 2, 2017
Nj
Hello all.
I've come to the conclusion I miss my insert so much I need to buy another for the new house. I have decided in an Enviro Boston 1700. As far as fireplace clearances I will have more than enough to fit it in. The problem lies with the chimney.

When I measured the flue tiles yesterday I realized I can't fit a 6" liner down. The opening is a hair smaller or right on 6" by about 11" wide.

Is my only option ordering an oval liner?
Can I order a round liner and oval it myself?
Or am I missing something obvious right in front of me?

Hello all.
I've come to the conclusion I miss my insert so much I need to buy another for the new house. I have decided in an Enviro Boston 1700. As far as fireplace clearances I will have more than enough to fit it in. The problem lies with the chimney.

When I measured the flue tiles yesterday I realized I can't fit a 6" liner down. The opening is a hair smaller or right on 6" by about 11" wide.

Is my only option ordering an oval liner?
Can I order a round liner and oval it myself?
Or am I missing something obvious right in front of me?
You dont want to ovalize without the proper equipment.

Another option may be breaking out the tiles to make more room for a round liner. Or, yet another option to consider is using DuraLiner oval pipe which is 4.75" x 7.75". This pipe is preinsulated and should work if the install is a clear straight down shot. @Hogwildz used DuraLiner for his installation.
http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=6

I used the duraliner oval for my insert installation too. And I have been super happy with the performance. Easy starts and strong draft on a relatively short chimney. About 15'. A high quality option IMO. I used a flex section to get through the smoke shelf/damper area and rigid for the rest. The rigid also allowed me to extend out the top of the chimney to gain more height. As I recall the duraliner instructions allow for extending the pipe out as far as you want as long as no connection is exposed.

Oval Chimney Liner or something else? Oval Chimney Liner or something else? Oval Chimney Liner or something else?

Thanks Squisher.
You ended up answering my next question about using flex and rigid. I see you can mix the two. What size did you end up going with anyway? When I ran the calculations it looks like the 4x7 oval is less area then a 6" round and the 4x10 is larger. Would guess go with the larger?

Gdp07 how tall is the chimney?

From where the insert will connect to the top of the chimney will be about 17', maybe a little more.

Thanks Squisher.
You ended up answering my next question about using flex and rigid. I see you can mix the two. What size did you end up going with anyway? When I ran the calculations it looks like the 4x7 oval is less area then a 6" round and the 4x10 is larger. Would guess go with the larger?
You can only mix the two with duraliner

From where the insert will connect to the top of the chimney will be about 17', maybe a little more.
I'd go with the recommended 4x7. You can use an oval to round flex section to connect the stove.