Outside air kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Egghead

Jan 18, 2013
Williamson, GA
Is it a big no-no if a dryer vent hose is used for this? Our original gas log insert used this (installed by previous owner) and when we installed our Kozy Z42 the installer said it was fine. We've burned for the past 3 years and never had a problem but I got to thinking about it a while back. Unfortunately it wouldn't be an easy fix but it's doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it a big no-no if a dryer vent hose is used for this? Our original gas log insert used this (installed by previous owner) and when we installed our Kozy Z42 the installer said it was fine. We've burned for the past 3 years and never had a problem but I got to thinking about it a while back. Unfortunately it wouldn't be an easy fix but it's doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW I was told to use an insulated hose to avoid condensation issues in the winter. Cold air rushing through a warm pipe could cause moisture to form on the outside of the pipe. If this has not been an issue for you so far I can not imagine why it would suddenly become one.

Other then that the pipe i was sold looks like nothing more then insulated dryer hose...

I just had a Ashford installed at my mother's and stopped the air kit for these very concerns. The weird part is I was just googling this again thinking I made a mistake. My phone rings with a Tapatalk notification leading me to this thread.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I just had a Ashford installed at my mother's and stopped the air kit for these very concerns. The weird part is I was just googling this again thinking I made a mistake. My phone rings with a Tapatalk notification leading me to this thread.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I do suggest the OAK. I do have it installed myself. I was just relaying the reason I was told for using insulated pipe.

I went with the OAK because I plan on sealing the whole house eventually. Also the HVAC system I have already had outside air kits installed so it just seemed to make sense to keep the theme going.

Status
Not open for further replies.