Outside air intake or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I installed a Tranquility with outside air in a cabin a few years ago. The air intake seemed large (and an odd size) for a stove with a small fire box. I used a 5 inch 90 degree round adjustable air duct elbow. I think I put the female end over the collar on the stove bottom. I remember it was a tight fit getting it underneath (so tight that it held it in place). Once in place, it opened to the rear and it was a straight shot from there out the wall. England's sells an outside air kit for 5 inch openings (AC-OAK5 $78.40) that utilizes a length of flexible metal duct which is another option. I went with the rigid pipe for durability. The outside air adapter mentioned earlier (AC-170AA) is the part that is already on the stove. I may head up to the cabin this weekend so I can confirm.

Thanks very much. I'd really appreciate a note on what you find. I wasn't sure whether to put a 4" inside the opening or a 5" outside.

What did Englander support say?

Reactions: Hesta
Thanks, simple enough, though it sounds like overkill for the volume of air the stove needs, especially if the run is short.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hesta
Thanks, simple enough, though it sounds like overkill for the volume of air the stove needs, especially if the run is short.

Well, we're going to see when we start lighting the stove, which will probably by the end of next month or beginning of October. I don't want to overfire the stove, it'll kill our warranty. It's a VERY short run, maybe 3 ft. If the stove does okay without it, we won't bother. It would only take me an hour or so to put in, if we really need it. We've got electric heaters if we end up having to wait for parts.

@corey21 any thoughts on why the large oak on the 17-VL?

Also as long as it is installed in the right place and correctly there is no downside to an oak.

bholler - could you expand on ‘proper placement’ of an OAk? I’m looking to install a PE NEO in an alcove on an exterior wall and chimney chase, and would like to install an OAK. I’ve read the 2006/7 thread on this topic on whether an OAK is even needed, valuable, or potentially dangerous. But most of what I gleaned from this thread is that proper placement of the OAK is crucial. So I was hoping to get some advice. None of the sides in my situation are protected from wind. Also, the chase is cantilevered, so I would potentially have 4 sides to place the OAK. Thanks.