Outside air intake or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hesta

Mar 21, 2017
Idaho
I've read on a few sites that swear that studies have shown that an outside air intake doesn't do much of anything. We are putting up a through the wall in a fairly snug house, and I'm worried about the draft, what with 2 90's. Opinions/suggestions/advice welcome.

Question if we get one...does the fresh intake pipe go on the outside or the inside of the opening? The OD is a kind of squirrelly size, 4.75", and I not sure what to use.

Outside air does help in tight house construction. Why the concern about draft other than the elbows? Is this a short and exterior chimney? To improve draft you can use double-wall stove pipe (think you already have this) and maybe a pair of 45's instead of the first 90 elbow.

Reactions: Hesta
Outside air does help in tight house construction. Why the concern about draft other than the elbows? Is this a short and exterior chimney? To improve draft you can use double-wall stove pipe (think you already have this) and maybe a pair of 45's instead of the first 90 elbow.

Yeah, we didn't think about the 45's, which is the route we should have gone, I think. and given our 12/12 roof and 2 stories, the chimney is going to be ridiculous (IMO) to conform to code. Like 30 ft high (stove is on the first level). And we did get the double wall pipe. I've been in 2 house fires, so I like to be extra careful. Almost went with triple wall, but that's expensive and kind of overkill.

With a 30 ft stack, I don't think draft is going to be an issue unless the house is very tight or you have a professional range hood. The two 90s may be helpful at slowing down the draft a bit. Double wall Ventis chimney is excellent. Triplewall is typically cheaper and not as good chimney pipe.

With a 30 ft stack, I don't think draft is going to be an issue unless the house is very tight or you have a professional range hood. The two 90s may be helpful at slowing down the draft a bit. Double wall Ventis chimney is excellent. Triplewall is typically cheaper and not as good chimney pipe.

I guess we'll wait and see then. But isn't 4.75 kind of an odd size for an air intake opening? The only stuff I am finding for it is either 4" or 5", which is why I was asking if the hose should be stuffed inside.

The house is pretty tight though, 1st floor has a concrete wall on one side. Even with it's age and all the big windows upstairs. Our last place (rented) was drafty as a barn.

What stove is getting installed?

What stove is getting installed?

We got the England's Tranquility for the downstairs and an England's Madison for upstairs. Our floor plan is too squirrelly for just one stove, sadly. The downstairs is the thru the wall that is being such a pain in my posterior atm. Clearances are really tight. We have to go through an eave that we barely have the 2" clearance to combustibles for. We should have just stuck it on the outside of the house, but that would have made for a longer horizontal run, probably over 4'. The stoves we are replacing were a propane and a manky old pellet stove. Cost $2000 to heat this place last season.

Yeah, we didn't think about the 45's, which is the route we should have gone, I think. and given our 12/12 roof and 2 stories, the chimney is going to be ridiculous (IMO) to conform to code. Like 30 ft high (stove is on the first level). And we did get the double wall pipe. I've been in 2 house fires, so I like to be extra careful. Almost went with triple wall, but that's expensive and kind of overkill.
Yeah triple wall is cheaper and inferior to doublewall insulated.

Also as long as it is installed in the right place and correctly there is no downside to an oak.

Also as long as it is installed in the right place and correctly there is no downside to an oak.

Well, I'm sure we have the right place, it's just that the opening size is a little weird, and I'm not sure what to use on it. The only thing I've seen so far is by US Stove, and the ratings were pretty crappy.

Well, I'm sure we have the right place, it's just that the opening size is a little weird, and I'm not sure what to use on it. The only thing I've seen so far is by US Stove, and the ratings were pretty crappy.
By the right place i mean a spot on the outside of the house where it will not be either pressurized or depresurized by wind around the house.

By the right place i mean a spot on the outside of the house where it will not be either pressurized or depresurized by wind around the house.

Oh, sorry. The air intake would be inside our greenhouse, that we're trying to get finished up, but have to get the chimney up before we can finish it, so we don't have to dink around with the roofing on the greenhouse more than once.

Oh, sorry. The air intake would be inside our greenhouse, that we're trying to get finished up, but have to get the chimney up before we can finish it, so we don't have to dink around with the roofing on the greenhouse more than once.
That should work

Ack, my bad. It will be inside the porch portion, not the greenhouse portion. Metal roof. Wind won't get to the OAK.

Ack, my bad. It will be inside the porch portion, not the greenhouse portion. Metal roof. Wind won't get to the OAK.
Yes but will wind be blowong around the corner creating a low pressure area? I am just trying to make sure you are avoiding any future issues dont mean to be a pain in the butt.

Yes but will wind be blowong around the corner creating a low pressure area? I am just trying to make sure you are avoiding any future issues dont mean to be a pain in the butt.

Shouldn't. We're planning on closing in the porch in the winter to prevent the snow from ripping out the porch screens. And I didn't think you were being a pain in the butt.

The fresh air intake for the Madison should take a 3" pipe I think. The 17-VL Tranquility lists the ID as 4.25" so 4" duct for that stove if the manual is correct.

The fresh air intake for the Madison should take a 3" pipe I think. The 17-VL Tranquility lists the ID as 4.25" so 4" duct for that stove if the manual is correct.
No, I got down and measured it...3 times. The OD is 4.75. Which is why I measured it 3 times. I thought it was odd. Either that, or I'd had too much rum when I did it. So I did it again, then had my husband check it.

So, if it's a 4 inch pipe, it goes on the inside of the opening, and not clamped to the outside? How does it stay in? It's a vertical opening on the bottom.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the collar, so I could be in error. For most stoves the ID is what is important, not the OD. Usually I get a 4" start collar. Bend every other tab outward 90º. Then insert into the hole and bend the remaining tabs outward to secure the start collar. Then slip the 4" flex pipe over the crimped end of the start collar. But I am not sure this would work for this stove without seeing the intake. Can you post a shot of it?

Looks like Englander makes an adapter for the OAK, part AC-170AA. Their website has a bad link so I can't provide more info. Maybe call them tomorrow about this part.

Looks like Englander makes an adapter for the OAK, part AC-170AA. Their website has a bad link so I can't provide more info. Maybe call them tomorrow about this part.

Outside air intake or not?

Is this good? Or do I need to get more under the stove? And thanks for the part number. This stove has been driving me nuts. The one upstairs is a straight shot, not many issues.

I'd give englander support a call tomorrow. It could be the oem adapter is the simplest way to go and at $22.50 it's not too expensive.

I'd give englander support a call tomorrow. It could be the oem adapter is the simplest way to go and at $22.50 it's not too expensive.

That works, and thanks again. although, I don't understand why they just don't make an opening that will fit a standard. Unless it's a make more money off the public thing.

That works, and thanks again. although, I don't understand why they just don't make an opening that will fit a standard. Unless it's a make more money off the public thing.

I installed a Tranquility with outside air in a cabin a few years ago. The air intake seemed large (and an odd size) for a stove with a small fire box. I used a 5 inch 90 degree round adjustable air duct elbow. I think I put the female end over the collar on the stove bottom. I remember it was a tight fit getting it underneath (so tight that it held it in place). Once in place, it opened to the rear and it was a straight shot from there out the wall. England's sells an outside air kit for 5 inch openings (AC-OAK5 $78.40) that utilizes a length of flexible metal duct which is another option. I went with the rigid pipe for durability. The outside air adapter mentioned earlier (AC-170AA) is the part that is already on the stove. I may head up to the cabin this weekend so I can confirm.