Out of wood, shut insert down, and then it snowed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i did end up cutting the tree down. That was a adveture. I wont mention my lack of PPE, and the pitch black,trying to walk through 36-48 inches of snow, and a husky 372 xp

MountainStoveGuy said:
i did end up cutting the tree down. That was a adveture. I wont mention my lack of PPP, and the pitch black,trying to walk through 36-48 inches of snow, and a husky 372 xp

Making Paul Bunyan look like a wimp buddy.

Geez, that's enough to keep me a flatlander for awhile longer. Good to hear you were successful.

I'm about out of wood too. I have a 2WD Silverado and an unlimited supply of wood at a friend's property that I can't get to. My fault for not getting it when I started getting low before the snow flew. I have about 2 cords of boxelder that I cut this June and was hoping to save for next year. I haven't had a gas bill over $40 all year. I'll be crying when I get it this month. My furnace ran more this week than it has all year.

I'm spoiled rotten. I've been burning like crazy this winter. The warm spells have slowed it down quite a bit but the last few days of cold have had that old smoke maker going. I usually sleep thru the night and it's about 60-65 in the morning. I've had the heat turned off till 3 days ago but I set the heat for 62 at night and have it programed to come up to 67 in the morning when everyone wakes up. It's 20 outside and it was 66 when I woke up an hour ago and came down here to reload the stove. Actually came down because it was hot upstairs which made me think the heat had kicked in. I've still got 4+ cords of wood left that I could burn this year if needed. Doubt Ill go thru 2 of themthat will set me at about 6 for next winter and hopefully I'll put up another 2 or three cord this year just in case. I like to get a year or two ahead. Was helping the littlest of my kids load the wood cart yesterday and smacked two pieces together to get the bugs off. Sounded like a home run for sure.

I was running out myself. Had some crummy cottonwood in reserve. But ended up pursuing what turned out to be a goldmine. Found where to harvest some fantastic pinon, and oak, all ready to go, had BLM guys show me exactly where stands of the stuff is located. So I borrowed my bro-in-law's pickup truck with a large trailer, enough to hold 3 1/2 cords, and I went out a couple weekends ago and acquired 3 cords of the yummiest wood. Am overjoyed at doing my homework because now I know exactly where to go, what to expect which is great access to very hot and long burning pinon, can get my mitts on oak too, and it is ready to burn. I am in warm hog heaven. Will probably go out in a couple of weeks, not because I need to, but it is simply a joy to cut and harvest all day, and come back with a mountain of ready for prime time, premium wood.

Hogwildz said:
Welp ran out of seasoned wood. Had to shut down the Summit this weekend, and as Roo pointed out last time, then it snowed.
Got about 3". Called my wood man, got another load, and he was kind enough to throw some splits in with the cuts. Summit is up & cruising, and now I expect the snow to be melting soon :) Lots of wood here, but most won't be ready till next year.

Mostly OAK :)

"Out of wood, shut insert down, and then it snowed."

What!? :grrr:

Oh, no..no..no..no.........The Summit doesn't get vacation until SUMMER !

I see a many "how much wood so far" threads in our future this Spring fellers. We'll let it go this time Hog, being a new wood stove user and all but me thinks were going to have to hound you this Spring and Summer .

Now everybody get out there and get working on 2008/2009 wood piles.
(You read it right. 2007/2008 supply should be done and collecting interest.)

You dont want me to get serious and have to sick Eric Johnson on ya'll. Any more "out of wood" stories and you'll be sent off to "Eric Johnsons cutting-wood-boot-camp" That'll learn ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.