Osburn Stratford Temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mooch

Jan 23, 2019
Jm
Does anyone have any idea what (approximately) the temperature would or should be on the cast iron door of a high efficiency ZC. As I can't get to the flue pipe.

That's a tough one. I think I would use an IR thermometer reading in the narrow gap above the door. You will have to experiment a bit. I would expect it to be around 5-600º, but that's just an estimate.

Narrow gap? Do you mean where the screen or lovers are on top?
That's a tough one. I think I would use an IR thermometer reading in the narrow gap above the door. You will have to experiment a bit. I would expect it to be around 5-600º, but that's just an estimate.

I think Begreen was referring to that little bit of actual stove surface directly above the doors of the stove before it is covered by the trim piece that has the louvers on it. You could also test right next to the door hinges on the stove body. I was also thinking 500-600 would be pretty safe temp.

I think Begreen was referring to that little bit of actual stove surface directly above the doors of the stove before it is covered by the trim piece that has the louvers on it. You could also test right next to the door hinges on the stove body. I was also thinking 500-600 would be pretty safe temp.
Oooh ok. That makes sense now. Thanks for all the help. On a good fire my IR temp gun is reading 280 in space above the door and around 230 near the hinges

Are you getting secondary burn activated. That is pretty low. Try testing on your door frame on your next fire for reference.

Last edited:
Osburn Stratford Temperature

Reactions: Grizzerbear