Osburn Insert Purchase/install Plan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

dan7800

Nov 21, 2022
Upstate NY
All, I have finally found someone in my area to do the insert install. I'd like to bounce my purchase plan off you folks to ensure that I am not missing anything. Here is my purchase plan:
I was debating on the escape 1800, but due to the large size of my fireplace I decided to go a bit bigger.
  1. Is there anything that I am missing?
  2. Could I install the faceplate reasonably easily after the primary install (I am not sure if I will need it yet)
  3. Will I need any adapter to go from the liner to the insert?
  4. Would I be better off buying the 316 kit and liner that is an option from Osburn?
Thanks
-Dan

Rather than getting the kit, consider ordering separately to get better quality parts. For example:
Duraliner is .006 thin wall, ForeverFlex has a thicker more durable .010 thick wall. Also, avoid the type of stove connector shown. It requires screws to pentrate the thin liner which can invite tearing over time. Instead, get a band-clamp style appliance adapter for the connection to the stove.

Thank you very much for the help. So I would buy the appropriate length liner and the 6' kit, along with the insulation wrap correct? Do you know if I would need anything else (other than the insert and the air intake kit)?

Note that the top cap also should have a clamp, not screws. The top plate needs to be large enough to fully cover the OD of the flue tile at top with a drip edge.

I have not worked with the company in that link, but they appear to have the right stuff.

Home saver is Copperfields brand and Olympia and Copperfield are now the same company. So the forever flex and homesaver stuff are pretty interchangeable. But light wall components are different than midweight and heavy wall liners. Forever flex has hybrid which is midweight .010 then their heavywall is home saver .015 they had armor flex before they combined but it's gone now

Double check the OD of the chimney tile at top to make sure the top plate fits. This company sells a wide variety of options if it doesn't. Only get the kit if everything in it is proper for your specific installation.

If the fireplace chimney store's insulation kit is competitive, might as well get everything from one place

As noted, I have not dealt with this supplier in the past though they appear to carry quality components. Let us know how it works out.

If the fireplace chimney store's insulation kit is competitive, might as well get everything from one place.

As noted, I have not dealt with this supplier in the past though they appear to carry quality components. Let us know how it works out.
The kits I see from fireplace chimney store are:
Unless you'd consider that the quality of this insulation is better than from Rockford ($281)

Other than the unit, insulation, liner and liner kit is there anything that I am missing?

Thank you very much again

The Rockford one is fine.