Osburn 2400 help!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Two reasons for excessive coals, not dry enough wood and loading too often. Get a moisture meter and check your wood. They're only 30 bucks.

Two reasons for excessive coals, not dry enough wood and loading too often. Get a moisture meter and check your wood. They're only 30 bucks.
I did get one last year cause i couldn't figure out why the wood wasnt burning. The ash i am burning today is 15% give or take little. Nothing over 20%.

I did get one last year cause i couldn't figure out why the wood wasnt burning. The ash i am burning today is 15% give or take little. Nothing over 20%.
How are you testing the wood?

Toward the latter part of the coal stage, put a couple small, 2" thick splits on the coals and open the air up 50%. That will help add some heat while burning down the coals to ash.

I ran a load of just ash last night and it did have bit less coals than using the orange wood. Looks like the orange wood coals a bit more. I have read that its a very hard wood.
Yes, osage orange will coal up big time! That is wood better burnt mixed into a load in January.
Elm tends to coal a lot too...Oak can too. Get to thinking about it, I guess many high BTU woods do...