Osburn 1800i Auto Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CRJ700

Dec 22, 2017
Long Island
I've read a few times from folks that have the same insert as me about there automatic blower. What I normally do is I let my stove get up to temp (about 1 hour) then I turn on my blower. I keep reading that it turns on automatically. Are there two different versions of this insert. The owners manual does not specify and Osburn never returned my emails asking this question.

Just turn it on before it gets hot. Shouldn't go on until it does get hot. If it does, you have an issue.

There's a second heat activated switch that turns it on and off. You can override it off with the speed switch. Shouldn't be able to override it on until it's warm.

And, it should go off automatically when the stove cools.

Just turn it on before it gets hot. Shouldn't go on until it does get hot. If it does, you have an issue.

There's a second heat activated switch that turns it on and off. You can override it off with the speed switch. Shouldn't be able to override it on until it's warm.

And, it should go off automatically when the stove cools.
Interesting. Using the toggle switch I can turn the blower on and off when the stove is cold.

Interesting. Using the toggle switch I can turn the blower on and off when the stove is cold.
Did you buy this new? If so, keep trying Osburn. If you got it used, sounds like someone bypassed the heat activated switch. If you want to go back to the "automatic", really easy to fix, I'd imagine, and you can get guidance here.

Did you buy this new? If so, keep trying Osburn. If you got it used, sounds like someone bypassed the heat activated switch. If you want to go back to the "automatic", really easy to fix, I'd imagine, and you can get guidance here.
I bought it pre owned a little over a month ago and refurbished it. I did have to re wire the wires going to the blower motor because the insulation was melted and the cooper was showing. The thermostat looks like its wired in correctly.. I wonder if I just need to replace the Tstat.

I bought it pre owned a little over a month ago and refurbished it. I did have to re wire the wires going to the blower motor because the insulation was melted and the cooper was showing. The thermostat looks like its wired in correctly.. I wonder if I just need to replace the Tstat.
The thermodisk part is $15. Just saw it on the Osburn website. Don't know if generally when they go kaput if they are in the "on" position.

Oh, another idea- When I was dealing with SBI (osburns parent company), on a warranty issue, had much greater success corresponding by email than by phone.

Last edited: