Opinions on Hearthstone's heat shield w/blower- Heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmnash

Hearth Supporter
Dec 20, 2010
Eastern CT
I did a search with limited success regarding the above topic. I would be interested in comments from people using the Hearthstone Heritage heat shield, and blower.

Any photos would be great .

My stove is sitting on the existing hearth a few inches outside the brick faced fireplace and mantle. It's rear vented and works fine, but I would like to close up the dark ugly gap between the sides of the stove and the bricks. This might radiate some more heat into the far reaches of my room with the blower attachment I figure.

Also a shield would have the added advantage of keeping the cat from snooping around behind the hot stove.

Thanks !

The heritage is a radiant stove. The sides look and work great to radiate heat to your space. Perhaps move the stove farther out of the hole?

The shield and blower together make a 300$ option. Way too much. The shield forces air from under the stove up over the rear of the stove only to pick up heat and blow it over the stove top. The sides are left out of this.

Oh the shame, you aren't using your side door?

I am using the heat shield only and it looks fine. Blowers suck and are noisy.

You must have a nice block off plate above the stove to block the flue off? If so then you have a big shield already in place around the stove that should flow air quite nicely.

Highbeam,

Thanks for the comments. I guess I didn't describe my setup properly. My stove does sit fully outside the fireplace opening and therefore does radiate from the sides. I also love that side loader door. It is the best feature.

I want to seal off the space between the back of the stove and the brick opening. I may just fabricate a sheet metal shield myself but was curious how effective the blower gadget was.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Opinions on Hearthstone's heat shield w/blower- Heritage
    IMG_1566_2.webp
    252.5 KB · Views: 954
hard aground said:
I did a search with limited success regarding the above topic. I would be interested in comments from people using the Hearthstone Heritage heat shield, and blower.

Any photos would be great .

My stove is sitting on the existing hearth a few inches outside the brick faced fireplace and mantle. It's rear vented and works fine, but I would like to close up the dark ugly gap between the sides of the stove and the bricks. This might radiate some more heat into the far reaches of my room with the blower attachment I figure.

Also a shield would have the added advantage of keeping the cat from snooping around behind the hot stove.

Thanks !

I don't have the blower, but I have the shield installed for clearance purposes. Very minimal appearance and hardly notice it. Installs cleanly and looks better than the rear heat shield that was on the Intrepid.

I've heard mixed reviews on the effectiveness of the blower.

I don't have the blower, but I have the shield installed for clearance purposes. Very minimal appearance and hardly notice it. Installs cleanly and looks better than the rear heat shield that was on the Intrepid.

I've heard mixed reviews on the effectiveness of the blower.[/quote]

+1 I also have the rear heat shield and needed it for clearance for the install. No one notices it and seems effective. I don't have the blower and don't think it would be worth the money. I have seen it on other stoves and think I could get by with small fans that cost much less.

The picture helps as always. So your stove stands completely outside of the fireplace and you don't like looking at the fireplace. Usually, folks either paint the fireplace firebox black or they fabricate a flat piece of sheet steel to block off the front of the fireplace and it gets painted black. There needs to be a hole in this plate for the flue of course and it needs to be fairly easy to remove for flue cleaning if you have a tee back there.

I've always liked the brown enamel. That or gloss black. The matte black paint sucks and looks like hell after only a couple of years.

Highbeam said:
I've always liked the brown enamel. That or gloss black. The matte black paint sucks and looks like hell after only a couple of years.

How? I know mine is a few years old and still looks new. My father inlaw's is six years old and looks like mine.

Compliments on the stove--the enamel looks great. Could you brick that in w/a door for clean-out purposes? The brick will make a better heat sink than sheet metal. Or use sheet metal w/micore backing so that the heat is reflected rather than directed into the Black Hole? I'm always looking for the low-tech solution, as I consider electricty a come-and-go commodity.

Here's hoping that the looks-like-hell comment won't apply to my matte black stove . . .

The few folks I have sold the Heritage to with the heat shield and blower have all done so against my suggestion and have all told me it was not worth the almost $400. I agree.

snowleopard said:
Compliments on the stove--the enamel looks great. Could you brick that in w/a door for clean-out purposes? The brick will make a better heat sink than sheet metal. Or use sheet metal w/micore backing so that the heat is reflected rather than directed into the Black Hole? I'm always looking for the low-tech solution, as I consider electricty a come-and-go commodity.

Here's hoping that the looks-like-hell comment won't apply to my matte black stove . . .

Use this in the offseason and it will look fine. Protects and covers up any surface rust that begins to form.
(broken image removed)

Sorry about the "looks like hell", but mine does. It's not rusting but the paint is gone in places and has greyed or chalked considerably in others. I would consider a bad paint job from the factory but in reading on this site is seems fairly typical for black paint to look bad after time.

I have never applied anything like the stove polish. Maybe that would have helped. I plan to repaint here someday, going for the brush on like Todd did with his fireview since masking off the hearthstone would be a bugger.

I have a similar situation with my new Heritage. I did in fact brick in the front of my fireplace, and put in a clean out on the outside of the brick chimney. My concern is that I'm burning a lot of wood heating up all that brick, and I wondered if the heat shield would direct more of that heat into my living space. I was thinking about the blower, too, but you guys have talked me out of that.

While I don't have a Heritage, our Homestead install needed the heat shield for clearance.. we did order and install the blower, which is the same blower as a couple other Hearthstones. Coming to the end of our second year, we use it sometimes, sometimes not. I have been unable to definably decide if it is worth it. A decent amount of air rises through the heat shield space anyways. I think the ecofan is probably a better deal. We have friends with two of them on their stove, they say the heat spread around the house is about 3 degrees better with the ecofans. We may try them, but they aren't cheap either.

Status
Not open for further replies.