Only fire with ash door open

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wilson1970

Nov 23, 2020
Netherlands
My beloved Vermont Defiant (2016) seems to burn less. Wood is dry (15%) and I can only get a reasonable fire with the ash door open, with a strong draft (I know this can harm the stove).

Could this lack of draft can be because of the weather? It's a cold spring over here, with temperatures of 15ºC), normally we only use the stove in the winter.
Thanks for a reply, Michiel, the Netherlands (I'm sorry for my English).

This could be due to weak draft. 15º C is quite mild. Can you describe the flue system in detail including how tall is the flue system from the stove top to the chimney top?

Does the stove burn ok with the bypass open? Is 2016 the year of the stove purchase?

Flue system is a flexible pipe 150 mm and then 12 metres to the chimney. I almost always use it with the bypass open, because that generates a better fire. Last winter all went well by the way and the draft was good.

How did you test the wood moisture? Please describe your procedure in detail.
How long has it been since the flue was cleaned?
Have you checked the primary air inlet for obstruction (it can get clogged with dust or pet hair)

Thanks for all this tips. I tested the wood with a Stihl moist meter, I've split the log and tested at some points and took the average.
Flue was cleaned in december.
I didn't check the primary inlet because the stove is so heavy. But here is some difference in draft with the handle front / rear, so I assume it's working.

outside temperature definitely has an effect on draft, but at 15C I'd expect it to work ok once the flue gets hot.
Do you see any improvement in performance over time or does the fire always go out when you shut the ash pan?
Have you tried leaving the door (instead of the ash pan) slightly open when starting the fire?

Also, did the chimney cleaning include cleaning the cap? Many caps have a screen that can become clogged with soot.

Flue system is a flexible pipe 150 mm and then 12 metres to the chimney. I almost always use it with the bypass open, because that generates a better fire. Last winter all went well by the way and the draft was good.
Can you post a picture of the stove setup and the chimney? What are the inner dimensions of the chimney?

The stove should operate well with the bypass closed. If it needs to be open, that indicates a problem. With it open it is working like a stove of 40 yrs ago.

Something is not right. More details on the stove and your operation steps. As said ^^^^ stove should operate just fine in 15C once the flue is warmed up.

Any chance you've got a bird nest up in the flue somewhere? That much chimney should draft even in mild weather, even if not awesome draft.

The fact that the stove is normally run with the bypass open is a sign of a problem. We don't know how long the connector is and the connector could be dumping into an open large chimney throat. This would weaken draft considerably, regardless of chimney height.