One year ago today.........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
I just realized our stove was installed one year ago today! Having only fireplace experience prior to joining hearth.com you folks piqued my interest in heating 24/7 with wood.

Today we are celebrating our first year of that 24/7.

1. Haven't burned the house down yet. :)
2. Have cleaned the chimney (twice).
3. Have a few more scars (literally) than a year ago.
4. Have LOTS more wood ready & more wood seasoning than I've ever had before.
5. Have gotten pretty good a backing up a trailer (loaded with firewood of course!).
6. Have learned I can stay in pretty good physical shape (from cutting/splitting/stacking firewood).
7. Have gained experience using a chainsaw & how to maintain it and the log splitter.
8. Have decided I really like it when the oil man skips our house and goes on down the road without stopping.
9. Have a moisture meter & an IR gun and I know how to use 'em.
10. Have noticed that heating with wood warms you to the bones - something oil, gas or electric heat never did.

Thanks hearth.com members for getting me this far! :)

Congrats Shari, I am impressed with you using the chainsaw. I have not done that but would like to. I doubt the husband will let me touch it. I have so much more to learn and your right that wood heat warms you to the bone!!

Happy Birthday Osly. And congratulations Shari, you have take to woodburning like a duck to water.

If you notice I joined hearth.com on October 30, 2008. I already had 'some' firewood but continued to scrounge cut/split/stack wood so by the time the stove was installed in Feb. 2010 I think I had some pretty well seasoned wood to start off with. Seasoned wood - that's the key.

Shari, you have done extremely well. Folks can learn a lot from you.

Amen to that Dennis, Shari, you are my new hero. You go girl!!!!

Shari said:
If you notice I joined hearth.com on October 30, 2008. I already had 'some' firewood but continued to scrounge cut/split/stack wood so by the time the stove was installed in Feb. 2010 I think I had some pretty well seasoned wood to start off with. Seasoned wood - that's the key.

That says it all!!

Happy anniversary Ozzy and Shari :-)

GAMMA RAY said:
Congrats Shari, I am impressed with you using the chainsaw. I have not done that but would like to. I doubt the husband will let me touch it. I have so much more to learn and your right that wood heat warms you to the bone!!

I have the same saw Sheri has. It's a real sweetheart, and reasonably priced for a pro quality saw. You would have no problems running it once you learned the safety drills.

Congrats, Sheri, on your first anniversary. Seems like only yesterday you posted your first proud pics. :)

Congrats Shari. I am heading up on a year and haven't managed half of that. Impressive. I do miss my oil man a tiny bit because he is a-dorable and always super helpful, but that's an expensive date :lol:

Congrats to Sheri and Shari both. :lol:

'doh. fixed it. To my (puny) defense, I am typing with only about half of the keys in place. The wicked little parrot discovered that plucking keys is zen.

Shari said:
I just realized our stove was installed one year ago today! Having only fireplace experience prior to joining hearth.com you folks piqued my interest in heating 24/7 with wood.

Today we are celebrating our first year of that 24/7.

1. Haven't burned the house down yet. :)
2. Have cleaned the chimney (twice).
3. Have a few more scars (literally) than a year ago.
4. Have LOTS more wood ready & more wood seasoning than I've ever had before.
5. Have gotten pretty good a backing up a trailer (loaded with firewood of course!).
6. Have learned I can stay in pretty good physical shape (from cutting/splitting/stacking firewood).
7. Have gained experience using a chainsaw & how to maintain it and the log splitter.
8. Have decided I really like it when the oil man skips our house and goes on down the road without stopping.
9. Have a moisture meter & an IR gun and I know how to use 'em.
10. Have noticed that heating with wood warms you to the bones - something oil, gas or electric heat never did.

Thanks hearth.com members for getting me this far! :)

great job on the anniversary!!

would like to add a few comments:
1.didn't really think you would burn down the house now did you?
5.excellent! for some out there, it is not an easy task!
7. wow! you are committed, aren't you?
8. i think everyone likes this one!
9. personally, i think it's great anytime a woman "has a gun, and knows how to use it!" even if it is just for temps...
10. yes it sure does!

keep up all the good work!!

Happy anniversary . . . and nothing in the post about wisely choosing a blue black finish Oslo? ;) :) Hehheh.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
'doh. fixed it. To my (puny) defense, I am typing with only about half of the keys in place. The wicked little parrot discovered that plucking keys is zen.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Congrats Shari you've done a fine job!

Ray

firefighterjake said:
Happy anniversary . . . and nothing in the post about wisely choosing a blue black finish Oslo? ;) :) Hehheh.

Actually, Jake, getting the b/b was a fluke. I wanted b/b but when I went there I thought I'd end up with the flat black. The store 'just happened' to have a floor model b/b that they sold me for the same price as the flat black. :)

BrowningBAR said:
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

We used to have a cockatiel that did the same thing. It took me the longest time to find "f" & "g" when she got at my keyboard when I wasn't around. :)

GAMMA RAY said:

If you do elect to use the saw, make sure you have the cut-resistant pants. If you don't, and the moving saw chain touches your leg, even for an instant, it'll likely result in an ambulance ride.

(broken link removed to http://labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=6&idcategory=250)

I have the chaps, steel toes shoes, etc. I will not win a fashion contest but at least I should be able to 'walk' after doing some sawing. :)

Shari said:
I have the chaps, steel toes shoes, etc. I will not win a fashion contest but at least I should be able to 'walk' after doing some sawing. :)

That's all that matters. There's nobody to see you in the woods anyway, so it doesn't really matter how well you are dressed. ;-)

Shari said:

Let me get this straight.. You are a woman and wear chaps, chainsaw wood, stack, transport and burn plus stove maintenance? Woah that is some sexy lol..

Ray

Hey, Ray don't get your hopes up there too far! I don't 'drop' trees. I will saw them up once on the ground but even that is not my favorite part of wood gathering. We get a lot of free scrounged wood some of which is too long - that's mainly what I saw up.

By the way, I also built a saw buck. :) You can see that on the left side of this picture:

[Hearth.com] One year ago today.........

Shari said:
Hey, Ray don't get your hopes up there too far! I don't 'drop' trees. I will saw them up once on the ground but even that is not my favorite part of wood gathering. We get a lot of free scrounged wood some of which is too long - that's mainly what I saw up.

By the way, I also built a saw buck. :) You can see that on the left side of this picture:

[Hearth.com] One year ago today.........

I hear ya Shari I don't like dropping them as I don't know what I am doing so I will cut them up if down and usually buy my wood c/s/d.. I stack it up and move it into the shelter in the Fall.. I pick up a little wood here and there but would not consider myself a serious scounger by any stretch.. Keep up the good work you are inspirational to many here..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.