One stove or two?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I haven't done it, run two stoves. My emergency plan in case of major power failure is to dash to Lowes Depot and pick up an Englander non-cat paying cash while most of the folks in town are trying to figure out how to pump gas for their generators with no electricity,

The piping I need to hook whatever 6" outlet stove to my exisiting furnace chimney is in the garage.

Then I will be running two stoves, one upstairs and one downstairs to keep the pipes from freezing. Not looking forward to having to try it. Sounds like a total pain in the neck.

Put in a reasonably large propane tank, and you can convert your generator to propane for $100-$200 if you're not afraid to drill a hole in the carb (which I am pretty sure you personally are not) ;lol I did this years ago, don't miss rotating the gas cans.

It derates the generator about 20%. My 7500w Generac runs around 8 hours at moderate load on a BBQ tank, probably for a couple weeks off of the house tank.

Yes, although I have suggested reversing the ceiling fan for most situations, there are always exceptions. It may be better to have the fan blow down in your setup if the cooling of the air is too great when descending along the walls. I made this diagram a long time back to show how mixing the can help even out room temp. In your case the middle diagram may raise comfort for the core living area. The best way to find out is to test both ways for an hour at a time, with a thermometer.
We are headed up tomorrow so I will give this a try. Thanks and sorry to hear about your friend passing.

Put in a reasonably large propane tank, and you can convert your generator to propane for $100-$200 if you're not afraid to drill a hole in the carb (which I am pretty sure you personally are not) ;lol I did this years ago, don't miss rotating the gas cans.

It derates the generator about 20%. My 7500w Generac runs around 8 hours at moderate load on a BBQ tank, probably for a couple weeks off of the house tank.

Propane tanks don't flow a lot of vapor down below about -25dF or so. I had an apartment with a propane stove up here a few years ago, no fun. In a prolonged outage I would probably run my generator and furnace about two hours daily to circulate the fluid in the baseboard heat and make some hot water for bathing.

/highjack

Reactions: SpaceBus