One side burning due to earth's rotation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
....my toilets flush clockwise. :cool:

Some of you may recall a question I had about the earth's rotation affecting the burning of our stoves. My dealer had stated that just as toilet bowls flush in one direction in the Northern Hemisphere (and the opposite in the Southern), our stoves won't burn evenly depending on which way they're facing. He said, "if it backs up to the south or east" it won't burn evenly. I didn't know what to say to that. ?

So my dealer was once again in my house for another reason and said the same thing when I asked him about my stove not burning wood down one side as quickly as the other.

As you can see in this photo from this morning when I was burning down my coals, the latch side is alive with flames over the coals. The hinge side is black, behind a black glass, seemingly getting no air? I don't get it...

View attachment 224137
Maybe try running the stove upside down and see if the burn pattern reverses? :p

i can't remember where i read it but the smoke goes up the pipe in a circular motion. and if the world was flat the water would run off the sides and we would have no ocean's>>

i can't remember where i read it but the smoke goes up the pipe in a circular motion. and if the world was flat the water would run off the sides and we would have no ocean's>>

It drains into the edge-lakes and then the Canadians haul it back to the middle in buckets. They used to use moose caravans, but the rimward Australians kept propositioning them. This is why they are so fit and outdoorsy. They use their fearful Canadian weather to keep it all secret from prying eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhhhhh Cana()da !!!

naw, runs off the sides and is recirculated from a big drip tray. heck of a pumping station though.;lol

I always want to tell that guy and everyone who gives him money that a plane ticket is like $300, and passenger jets go way higher than steam powered Wil E. Coyote rockets. They have windows, too.

I have not done so because I am entertained by the Will E. Coyote steam powered rockets.:)

Does he have an explanation for ships disappearing from waterline up, as they sail away from him, and reappearing masthead down as they return?

Does he have an explanation for ships disappearing from waterline up, as they sail away from him, and reappearing masthead down as they return?

Explanations and evidence? Critical thinking is deeply unpopular these days. I threw TVs out of my house forever in 1991 because I couldn't stand to witness the slow death of critical thought any more. :(

I would actually applaud this guy for refusing to just believe what he's told... except that he is ignoring easy ways to test his hypothesis, and instead making money off of loud refutations of "the other side". That's also not critical thinking; that's cynical exploitation of dumb people. (But I AM still strongly in favor of steam powered Will E. Coyote rockets, so he has me in a bit of a bind here.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Coriolis effect is real, but is swamped the the myriad of other forces and reactions happening in a wood stove. If it has any bearing on how your stove behaves, it is almost certainly immeasurably small.
The Coriolis effect is a real effect, but only should be considered a force in a rotational frame of reference, which is indeed what we experience on earth. But as Ashful said, the effect is miniscule on small scales such as bathtubs, stoves, etc. It must be considered on larger scales such as weather forecasts (horrible math) and how to aim your ICBM missiles, but insignificant in everyday life.

Oh, yeah, to the OP: Find another dealer.

You mean the earth is not flat ? ;hm