One side burning due to earth's rotation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Calentarse

Feeling the Heat
Feb 25, 2011
MD
Some of you may recall a question I had about the earth's rotation affecting the burning of our stoves. My dealer had stated that just as toilet bowls flush in one direction in the Northern Hemisphere (and the opposite in the Southern), our stoves won't burn evenly depending on which way they're facing. He said, "if it backs up to the south or east" it won't burn evenly. I didn't know what to say to that. ?

So my dealer was once again in my house for another reason and said the same thing when I asked him about my stove not burning wood down one side as quickly as the other.

As you can see in this photo from this morning when I was burning down my coals, the latch side is alive with flames over the coals. The hinge side is black, behind a black glass, seemingly getting no air? I don't get it...

One side burning due to earth's rotation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth rotation . . . just a dumb firefighter . . . but I suspect the reason why a stove may burn better on one side or another or why one side of the glass is black might have more to do with the stove construction, air flow and/or gasketing.

Both stoves I've burned (quad 3100 and Ideal Steel) have been cooler on the fresh air inlet side. Just my observation but I believe the air cools the stove down on the corresponding side and makes the burn a little less efficient causing black spots on glass and blackened fire brick on that side.

Reactions: Happy Stacker
Your dealer is passing on myths. The toilet bowl design determines which way the water swirls down the trap.

"Despite the large amount of misinformation, toilets—and even tornadoes—are too small to be affected by the Coriolis, whose force would only begin to directly influence a storm's swirling mass if it were approximately three times larger than the supercell storm systems that typically generate tornadoes."
https://www.scientificamerican.com/...equator-tornadoes-spin-in-opposite-direction/

Check the holes above the side that is turning black. They may be plugged preventing the smoke from going out them.;) I just saw a video where a guy "FIXED" this problem by cutting 3" off his firebricks.

My guess is most stove doors are going to be designed for right handed people and therefore would have the hinge on the left. Gasket leakage is most likely more on the handle side of the door so there could be a subtle effect to combustion where slight air leakage on the right side of the door would cause slightly more combustion on the handle (right) side. Definitely don't think the coriolis effect is a factor

Reactions: Tech Guru
all longitudes are equators....

Simple fix, just needs a 90 degree counter clockwise horizontal rotation.

"One rotation fact you can tell him is that if woodstoves were sold on the equator they would physically weigh less."

That is obvious. Every moron knows that.
But, what about the wood stoves they use on the Space Shuttle? What do you think they weigh?

"One rotation fact you can tell him is that if woodstoves were sold on the equator they would physically weigh less."

That is obvious. Every moron knows that.
But, what about the wood stoves they use on the Space Shuttle? What do you think they weigh?

i can only speak to space toilets. those weigh less for sure :)

Since the Earth is flat I would say that theory is void.

This thread reminded me that my car blinker fluid needs a flush.

I thought the same thing, the first time someone told me about DEF, five or ten years ago. Then I find out it’s a real thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid

The Coriolis effect is real, but is swamped the the myriad of other forces and reactions happening in a wood stove. If it has any bearing on how your stove behaves, it is almost certainly immeasurably small.

My "educated" guess is that the reason the latch side is hotter is because the air is being drawn in on that side so them there coals along that side would get hotter faster. Of course that would depend on which way the air swirled inside the stove and at what velocity it was moving and whether it raining or snowing the day you took the picture