One of those days...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChadMc

Burning Hunk
Dec 12, 2019
Bucks County PA
After the snow storm that hit the northeast we’ve have some cold days following. I’m having one of those days where I’m struggling keeping the house warm. I mean it’s Warm but feels like the stove is eating wood!!! Always felt like all my variety of hardwoods always kept it warm but I definitely cherry picked all the oak out today and loaded her up!! Going back down to single digits again tonight. My “weekly” rack in the garage is shrinking quick.

That is not uncommon. The house is losing a lot more BTUs due to the cold. Our stove is usually on 8-12 hr reload cycles, but in that type of cold I might be reloading it every four.
This may be a good opportunity to check out the house and see where the heat loss is the worst. For our house, I'm sure it is all the windows that have been added by various owners over time. If you have a FLIR camera or know someone that has one, this is a good time to checkout the house for heat loss.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Second finding the leaks. When we moved in to our current house, it felt as if there was a window open in every room. Not sure how prior owners afforded to heat it! We have since sealed up the house dramatically. Still a leaky old farm house, but much improved.

Not exactly a window but the realtor that flipped the house left that for me...at least he put some fiberglass batt over the hole. Pocket door right below it, like having a 2”x84” open window to the attic at all times. We’ve dropped the monthly electric bill by 30-40% just by plugging air leaks over the last 2 years. She grumbles when I fire up the incense sticks but the smoke doesn’t lie!

Attachments

• One of those days...
    9639A4D2-BD72-44EB-94A3-01C7D22A8A97.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 133