On trailer hitches and emails

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've never written a cheque, and never forsee a need to. I can't think of any local businesses that accept them anymore, cheque fraud is just too easy.

80% of my purchases are on a preferred rate cash-back Visa, the other 20% are on a standard rate cash-back Mastercard for our only retailer that doesn't accept Visa (Costco for fuel and in-store). Cash is just a hassle to withdraw and use. Plus getting up to 4% back on things like groceries will keep me using my Visa.

Interac e-Transfer has completely taken over for account to account transfers, it's so easy and instant.

I guess I'm a lot younger than most of you though, the cheapest gas I ever remember was 55 cents a liter, that would have been about '98, I would have been kindergarten age.

I've never written a cheque, and never forsee a need to. I can't think of any local businesses that accept them anymore, cheque fraud is just too easy.

80% of my purchases are on a preferred rate cash-back Visa, the other 20% are on a standard rate cash-back Mastercard for our only retailer that doesn't accept Visa (Costco for fuel and in-store). Cash is just a hassle to withdraw and use. Plus getting up to 4% back on things like groceries will keep me using my Visa.

Interac e-Transfer has completely taken over for account to account transfers, it's so easy and instant.

I guess I'm a lot younger than most of you though, the cheapest gas I ever remember was 55 cents a liter, that would have been about '98, I would have been kindergarten age.
Now I feel really old but then my kids late 30es early 40es and I don't think they have ever written a cheque
Now whatever comes to the farm is a swipe card they get paid immediately, Fuel, Seed, Fertilizer what ever we never carry more than 100$ dollars in our pockets

Reactions: ABMax24

I'm older (than you - I'm NOT old, at least that's what I tell my teenage kids - we got them later in life) but I do the same.

I do all (literally all) my shopping on a credit card associated with an airline. We never use anything else unless the place doesn't take the card brand.

It has a fee, but it has perks (boarding early so my 6'4" has some foot space because my bag can go up in the bins - I don't travel with a suitcase carryon (aka "roller board")...), getting upgrades etc. I spend enough on it each year to get a cash rebate each year that's exactly the yearly fee. So it's a free card. I have never paid a cent of interest as I (manually, not automatically) pay it off every month.
And the miles I rack up with my spending pay for 1.5 to 2 tickets per year to Europe (where all our family lives).

I had one time where my card data were stolen. Not online, but at a remote gas station in TN. I have alerts set so I get a txt message for any charge larger than $200. They charged $7.34 or so and once that worked they went big. Card company gave everything back.
I have not been a victim of online card theft - but i'm very careful who I do business with. Breaches at companies (I remember Target) are not controllable by me. Other than using cash, but I don't do that.

Funny thing about the $200 alerts is that I know when to prepare to help unload the grocery bags and carry them up the hill to the home if my wife is doing the groceries alone; "ding" (your wife is soon coming home because she just paid).
I do have a Visa card and Visa Debit card too. The latter i never use - as mentioned above, not enough protection.

I do check my charges every other day online. So I catch things quickly, even when they fly under the $200 radar.

Other than the airline card, my banking is with a local non-profit FCU.

Anyway, hitches.
I've been thinking about adding a hitch to the (ICE) Rav4 (and get a small (!) trailer - small enough to park it standing on its back to decrease the footprint - to get small (!) loads of wood if need be).
But it's an automatic, and I've always driven stick shifts. I prefer towing with a stick shift; better control of what the engine does.
I presume most pick up trucks these days are automatic too? So my control issues are non-issues?

In the states, Costco only takes Visa, even their credit card is Visa. That's the only place I have used our Debit card.

I remember digging for couch change gas in high school. I remember $1.20/gal at the time.

When my father came back from Vietnam, I remember him saying he was making just over $5k a year. I imagine this was in 71 or 72 by the time he was fully out.
I'm older (than you - I'm NOT old, at least that's what I tell my teenage kids - we got them later in life) but I do the same.

I do all (literally all) my shopping on a credit card associated with an airline. We never use anything else unless the place doesn't take the card brand.

It has a fee, but it has perks (boarding early so my 6'4" has some foot space because my bag can go up in the bins - I don't travel with a suitcase carryon (aka "roller board")...), getting upgrades etc. I spend enough on it each year to get a cash rebate each year that's exactly the yearly fee. So it's a free card. I have never paid a cent of interest as I (manually, not automatically) pay it off every month.
And the miles I rack up with my spending pay for 1.5 to 2 tickets per year to Europe (where all our family lives).

I had one time where my card data were stolen. Not online, but at a remote gas station in TN. I have alerts set so I get a txt message for any charge larger than $200. They charged $7.34 or so and once that worked they went big. Card company gave everything back.
I have not been a victim of online card theft - but i'm very careful who I do business with. Breaches at companies (I remember Target) are not controllable by me. Other than using cash, but I don't do that.

Funny thing about the $200 alerts is that I know when to prepare to help unload the grocery bags and carry them up the hill to the home if my wife is doing the groceries alone; "ding" (your wife is soon coming home because she just paid).
I do have a Visa card and Visa Debit card too. The latter i never use - as mentioned above, not enough protection.

I do check my charges every other day online. So I catch things quickly, even when they fly under the $200 radar.

Other than the airline card, my banking is with a local non-profit FCU.

Anyway, hitches.
I've been thinking about adding a hitch to the (ICE) Rav4 (and get a small (!) trailer - small enough to park it standing on its back to decrease the footprint - to get small (!) loads of wood if need be).
But it's an automatic, and I've always driven stick shifts. I prefer towing with a stick shift; better control of what the engine does.
I presume most pick up trucks these days are automatic too? So my control issues are non-issues?
To the best of my knowledge, the mid size Tacoma can still be ordered as a stick. You may be able to get a 3/4 or 1 ton in a stick. All half tons are automatic.

The Jeep Gladiator I think comes with a stick too, but I can’t confirm, and have no idea what its payload is.

In the states, Costco only takes Visa, even their credit card is Visa. That's the only place I have used our Debit card.

Costco Canada for whatever reason partnered with Mastercard, the "Costco Mastercard" in Canada is through CIBC. I've been contemplating getting one, because the 2% back on fuel is worth a fair bit to us, but not sure I want another card in my wallet or bill to pay.

I remember digging for couch change gas in high school. I remember $1.20/gal at the time.

When my father came back from Vietnam, I remember him saying he was making just over $5k a year. I imagine this was in 71 or 72 by the time he was fully out.

To the best of my knowledge, the mid size Tacoma can still be ordered as a stick. You may be able to get a 3/4 or 1 ton in a stick. All half tons are automatic.

The Jeep Gladiator I think comes with a stick too, but I can’t confirm, and have no idea what its payload is.
Ok. I don't want to buy a truck, but am wondering about automatic cars towing. As.most trucks are automatic, I presume it's possible.
What are folks' opinions on towing with an automatic car versus a stick shift?

Ok. I don't want to buy a truck, but am wondering about automatic cars towing. As.most trucks are automatic, I presume it's possible.
What are folks' opinions on towing with an automatic car versus a stick shift?
It depends on the vehicle and the load. Transmissions are calibrated for the weight of the vehicle. Add weight and it stresses the tranny more. My diesel truck is automatic and does great pulling. Light loads I leave the transmission in it's standard range; but any time I pull a more serious load I use the pull/load setting which changes the shift range setting to accommodate the heavier load and help reduce the strain on the tranny. As big of a consideration when pulling is braking power...

Reactions: stoveliker
The biggest issue with car towing isn’t the engine or transmission, it’s the unibody going over things like bumps and potholes. The drivetrain is strong enough. Sometimes transmissions get hot and that’ll kill an automatic transmission fast.

For light towing, say something like this:

I don’t think I’d worry. But if you find yourself towing a lot, or really loading the trailer down, as it’s easy to do, you may want to upgrade the vehicle.

Reactions: stoveliker
Thanks. Yes, something like that.at max is what I have in mind.
Okay. And it'll be infrequent as I tend to have my wood delivered in log lengths. But hauling some stuff every now and then is useful and I don't want to move unnecessary steel around when I'm not hauling. Trailer is then ideal.

I don't think our RAV4 has a pull/load setting.

Thanks. I'll have to get used to automatics...