Oil Furnace Short Cycling, Honeywell R7284 Control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
yes

does you furnace have this control
No, doesn't have that. The furnace is this unit https://www.lennoxpros.com/of23q34-105120-furn-oil120kb3-4ton/p/26K75
This is what it looks like in the burner area

Oil Furnace Short Cycling, Honeywell R7284 Control

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately Lennox does not make it's manuals and schematics easily available.
Is the blower coming on a little bit after the furnace comes on?
Has the filter been checked?
Has the burner photocell been checked to see if it is dirty?
Is there a low fire pressure switch in the system and if yes, has it been checked?

If it is cutting off before the blower fan kicks on, I'd bet it is the high temp limiter.

When the furnace first fires up the burner runs, then the fan comes on, and the fan stays running as the burner cycles on and off, until temperature is reached. The cad cell readout hovers around 200 ohms when running, which is the normal range from what I can tell.
By filter do you mean the air filter or oil filter? I looked at the air filter today and it seems to be clean. I don't know about a low fire pressure switch.
I did take the cover off that covers the circuit board and noticed some slight burning on the board near a ceramic resistor. I think after the weekend I'm just going to call the pros and let them deal with it.