Offered a free PE insert help w/ ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john26

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2008
Wildwood MO
I was offered a free PE insert I believe it is a design D but not sure. I have to drive several hours and remove it which is not a problem but I would like make sure of what I am getting and how old it is here is a pic serial # 35345 any idea on it? Offered a free PE  insert help w/ ID

Looks like an older Super (or Pacific). A picture of the inside that shows the firebrick layout would be helpful for ID. Also get one of the baffle to determine condition.

They sent me a pic of some literature for it the brick pattern is 18"x18" indicates its a Pacific on the paper work it shows the baffle plate with insulation on top and sides in the parts diagram this should be a removable baffle correct?

baffle looks like it only has holes in the end. I am wanting to replace my Lopi Freedom with this . My may concerns are wanting 8-10hr burn time and window to stay clean. Any estimates with burn time? 29' flue with key damper and will the glass stay clean?

PE1.jpgPE2.jpgPE3.jpg

That looks pretty good. There are holes right down the middle of the baffle too. You can see them in the first picture. Member Dix has this insert. It's a good workhorse. 8-10 hr burns should not be an issue.

good to know do these self clean the glass like a Napoleon?

Yes, with proper operation and dry wood the glass will stay quite clean. Given the price, I would say you have found a winner. Gold plated to boot. I have the manual if you need it.

Thank you I believe they have the manual and sales brochure for it, they just bought a house and swapping to gas logs. I missed another one yesterday free as well all black a 2006 model.

Thank you I believe they have the manual and sales brochure for it, they just bought a house and swapping to gas logs. I missed another one yesterday free as well all black a 2006 model.
Wow, sounds like MO is a good place for used stoves. I would say yes to this stove in a heartbeat if I had a place for it and lived within 100 miles.

I check the whole midwest Arkansas, Indiana and Missouri have lots of good deals and several free stoves. The housing market boom really fueled it lots of people changing to gas after home purchase. The gas people usually offer the inserts cheap or free the people change to a 2020 stove want more money for their used insert because many of them are on their second stove and they know what new ones cost. The 2 inserts I currently have were being changed out for gas logs.

I check the whole midwest Arkansas, Indiana and Missouri have lots of good deals and several free stoves. The housing market boom really fueled it lots of people changing to gas after home purchase. The gas people usually offer the inserts cheap or free the people change to a 2020 stove want more money for their used insert because many of them are on their second stove and they know what new ones cost. The 2 inserts I currently have were being changed out for gas logs.
Just the usual suspects around here. Nothing for free or even that interesting.

Definitely needs some new bricks

I was thinking of swapping the bricks out for the lite weight pumice ones I used them in my Napoleon and like them so far

I was thinking of swapping the bricks out for the lite weight pumice ones I used them in my Napoleon and like them so far
PE stoves use pumice brick already.

I was thinking he could swap floor bricks for the couple cracked rear ones.
Sure if they are still good, and ahven't already been swapped around.

Late to the party, but def looks like a Pacific D.

Love mine. 7 - 8 hour burn time, fully loaded. Throws heat for another couple of hours from the coals.

They like seasoned firewood !

So john26 did you get it?

Yes I picked it up Wednesday afternoon It is in pretty good shape. All the bricks were bad except 4 on the left side they had been replaced with heavy bricks. It is dirty and light surface rust on the top and paint wore off the ash lip. I plan on a full repaint leaning towards AW Perkins metallic black for that, The inside is great shape other than bricks, I am pretty sure it was never over fired the baffle looks good along with the door and glass. It was manufactured in 1997.

Reactions: begreen
Nice get... make sure to share some before and after pictures after the restoration!

Yes I picked it up Wednesday afternoon It is in pretty good shape. All the bricks were bad except 4 on the left side they had been replaced with heavy bricks. It is dirty and light surface rust on the top and paint wore off the ash lip. I plan on a full repaint leaning towards AW Perkins metallic black for that, The inside is great shape other than bricks, I am pretty sure it was never over fired the baffle looks good along with the door and glass. It was manufactured in 1997.
Good deal. I would use Stove Brite satin black for the repaint.

Can't wait to see final pics !!!

Congrats !!

restoration will probably be in late summer