Advice on insert vs stove to replace Superior zero clearance fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
They aren't so easy to pull out. Often they are built in with the facia needing to be removed.
They actually are really easy. I don't do many and can still have them out in about an hour.

The problem is even with an insert in them you still have a crappy drafty zero clearance box and you can cover the vents.

Reactions: triceps and PAbeech
This can be done, It depends on how the old one was installed, facia covering, access to the rear, hearth, etc. If the goal is to keep as much intact as possible, then easy rear access and a lot of careful measuring is where to start.

Problem is if you take one out you can what do you do then? Can you get a different ZC in with the existing structure/dimensions?
I solved the problem. Installing a Lopi Insert.

Problem is if you take one out you can what do you do then? Can you get a different ZC in with the existing structure/dimensions?
I solved the problem. Installing a Lopi Insert.
I put a pacific energy high efficiency zc unit in

Reactions: hoot
There have been a few that came here for advice and made the switch. If the enclosure size, basic framing, and opening size is similar then it's possible though easier with rear access.

Last edited:
That will be different than what @triceps is considering if a freestanding stove is to be vented via a liner thru the ZC. The main factor with what he has proposed is the lintel height.

Thanks for all the helpful comments and discussion.

From my understanding, right now none of the manufacturer inserts are approved/allowed into zero clearance setups like mine. Is that correct?

I’ve also been told that Lopi and maybe some others might be coming out with approved inserts as early as later this year? If anyone has any insights on how realistic that timing estimate is, that would be hugely helpful.

Once an approved insert is available, I’ve been quoted a total price of around $7K for everything for an insert install. However, similar to the comments in this thread, some have cautioned against going this route for safety reasons, with one local installer even saying he would refuse to do it out of safety concerns even with a manufacturer approved insert. Safety is a huge priority, of course, but still not sure what to make of the conflicting safety advice here?

Alternatively, going the alcove and freestanding stove route — ripping out the zero clearance, adding some tile and putting in a freestanding wood burning stove (eg Vermont Castings Encore) is gonna push the total price up closer to $15K. This option is available now and it sounds like this would generally be considered to be the safer approach regardless of how safe an insert in a ZC is.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

From my understanding, right now none of the manufacturer inserts are approved/allowed into zero clearance setups like mine. Is that correct?

I’ve also been told that Lopi and maybe some others might be coming out with approved inserts as early as later this year? If anyone has any insights on how realistic that timing estimate is, that would be hugely helpful.

Once an approved insert is available, I’ve been quoted a total price of around $7K for everything for an insert install. However, similar to the comments in this thread, some have cautioned against going this route for safety reasons, with one local installer even saying he would refuse to do it out of safety concerns even with a manufacturer approved insert. Safety is a huge priority, of course, but still not sure what to make of the conflicting safety advice here?

Alternatively, going the alcove and freestanding stove route — ripping out the zero clearance, adding some tile and putting in a freestanding wood burning stove (eg Vermont Castings Encore) is gonna push the total price up closer to $15K. This option is available now and it sounds like this would generally be considered to be the safer approach regardless of how safe an insert in a ZC is.

Thoughts?

Thank you.
There are two different versions of the Lopi stoves. Ones before 2024 and the ones built after. They are both the exact same stoves but in two different regulatory years. The one I purchased... Large Flush was built in December of 2023. The manual shows how to install it in a ZC fireplace. It is very specific on what sheet metal and parts you can remove from the ZC to be safe. Stoves built after 12-31-2024, the manual removes the instructions for doing same because Lopi says the new regulations require them to re-certify the stove in that application. So LOL.... mine is fine. Works fine but it's a really tight install. I've installed a few wood burners and liners. I used a double wall insulated liner. The existing Superior chimney is air cooled so you need to make sure you use an air cooled cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: triceps
Thanks. The other catch in my case is that the insert or stove needs to be eligible for the California woodsmoke voucher program:
All EPA-certified catalytic stoves are eligible, but only some (see list below) non-catalytics are eligible.
These are the only non-catalytic wood stoves that are eligible to be used under this incentive.

Table 1. Non-Catalytic Wood Stoves Eligible for Incentives

Manufacturer NameModel NameAnnual Avg
EmissionRate (grams/hr)
Energy DistributionInvicta Group: Kazan, Kazan GA, Kiara, and Kiara GA1.8
Energy DistributionGaya Ardoise, Itaya, Onyx,
Gaya Feuille, Symphonia, Antaya, Theïa, Akan
HHT/Hearth and Home Tech21M-ACC-C, Discovery-1-C1.7
Hearth and Home TechnologiesQuadra Fire Expedition II
and Vermont Castings Montpelier II

Thoughts?

Thank you.
It really doesn't matter if the insert is approved. If the fireplace does not allow inserts to be installed in that fireplace there is no way to do it legally period. The insert manufacturer cannot over ride the instructions for the fireplace

Reactions: hoot
It really doesn't matter if the insert is approved. If the fireplace does not allow inserts to be installed in that fireplace there is no way to do it legally period. The insert manufacturer cannot over ride the instructions for the fireplace
All approved in my case. Superior specifically states it.
Show me a case where a house burned up doing what I did.
I talked to more than one installer who said it's a non issue and it's done all the time. Just need to be sure it's done right.
Responsible people do responsible things.
If you are concerned that much, don't do it. There are some crazy stupid burners out there and somehow they survive... but then some don't. We educate ourselves.

Last edited:
All approved in my case. Superior specifically states it.
Show me a case where a house burned up doing what I did.
I talked to more than one installer who said it's a non issue and it's done all the time. Just need to be sure it's done right.
Responsible people do responsible things.
If you are concerned that much, don't do it. There are some crazy stupid burners out there and somehow they survive... but then some don't. We educate ourselves.
If both the fireplace manufacturer and insert manufacturer say it's ok obviously it's ok. But in the majority of cases the fireplace manufacturer doesn't ok it. I don't know if it's safe or not. No one does because it hasn't been tested. That is why I didn't say anything about safety I talked about the legality of it. I really don't care what other installers are willing to do I care what the manuals say. I care what the csia ncsg nfi and absolutely every other professional organization in the field has to say about it and the liability risks involved. You do whatever you want to do but don't go around telling people something is fine to do when it clearly is not allowed by code.

You say you have installed a couple stoves. That's great I have installed hundreds and been to dozens of classes from different manufacturers and professional organizations. What training do you have?

Reactions: triceps and hoot
If both the fireplace manufacturer and insert manufacturer say it's ok obviously it's ok. But in the majority of cases the fireplace manufacturer doesn't ok it. I don't know if it's safe or not. No one does because it hasn't been tested. That is why I didn't say anything about safety I talked about the legality of it. I really don't care what other installers are willing to do I care what the manuals say. I care what the csia ncsg nfi and absolutely every other professional organization in the field has to say about it and the liability risks involved. You do whatever you want to do but don't go around telling people something is fine to do when it clearly is not allowed by code.

You say you have installed a couple stoves. That's great I have installed hundreds and been to dozens of classes from different manufacturers and professional organizations. What training do you have?
I never said don't follow code. I'm all about safety. I don't care if you installed a thousand stoves. Yes it's complicated but in some ways it's not if you understand the industry practices. Those who are Saturday night mechanics should leave it to the pros. And even then some pros are Saturday night mechanics. I've seen it. I worked for an installer.

I never said don't follow code. I'm all about safety. I don't care if you installed a thousand stoves. Yes it's complicated but in some ways it's not if you understand the industry practices. Those who are Saturday night mechanics should leave it to the pros. And even then some pros are Saturday night mechanics. I've seen it. I worked for an installer.
Ok so stop telling people it's fine to do this unless both the fireplace manufacturer and insert manufacturer sign off on it