Of wood and woodsmen (woodspeople?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey wow! Thanks for all the kind words and comments! It was 90 in the shade here today... not much thinking about wood today!! But, as several of you suggested, I will try to figure out how to get some pics posted. My "stacks" are pretty modest and sure aren't any artistic masterpieces like some on here, but they do the job.

Also, had to chuckle about the powertools and making fire comment - good call! I admit there is some of that mixed in too!!!

Keep on burnin' everyone!

-AJ

... We had quite a chat and it was nice. We concluded that we aren't crazy after all!!

-AJ

Ummm...folks in the asylum also believe they are 'not crazy'.
Great thread.

Reactions: AJS56
AJ, that's a great post. There are certainly not so many people who "get it" this side of the pond. However, there are so many aspects of woodburning that seem so in keeping with our own lifestyle here. There is the walking out in the woodlands and forests, being so close to nature. Looking at trees as a natural store of energy from the sun. The moment the wood is split, you are the first person to see inside the round. The smell of different woods as they are split. The anticipation of the first fire in the fall. However, it's the feeling of self reliance, and actually doing something about keeping warm in winter other than just pouring hard earned money into a utility company, that's probably the winner for us........

Yes, I'm nuts........ about burning wood.......... ;)

Here it is in August and I just got in after going through a tank of Husqvarna gas. I didn't really need to do it, I just wanted to. I got a little useable firewood out of it but mostly a lot of clearing, but it was very enjoyable to do anyway. In fact, my chain got too dull to finish but I didn't want to quit so I went and got my Honda 2000 generator and electric 14" and finished up anyway. Made my lemonade taste better, too. I feel good. Is that crazy or what? My step daughter thinks so, but she doesn't get this whole country thing anyway...

Here it is in August and I just got in after going through a tank of Husqvarna gas. I didn't really need to do it, I just wanted to. I got a little useable firewood out of it but mostly a lot of clearing, but it was very enjoyable to do anyway. In fact, my chain got too dull to finish but I didn't want to quit so I went and got my Honda 2000 generator and electric 14" and finished up anyway. Made my lemonade taste better, too. I feel good. Is that crazy or what? My step daughter thinks so, but she doesn't get this whole country thing anyway...
Sprinter... my kids/grandkids won't see me doing much "logging" in the summer, so kudos for you to be out there in the summer season. And... while your stepdaughter may not "get it" right now, I suspect she'll develop an appreciation and respect for it as time goes by.

AJ, that's a great post. There are certainly not so many people who "get it" this side of the pond. However, there are so many aspects of woodburning that seem so in keeping with our own lifestyle here. There is the walking out in the woodlands and forests, being so close to nature. Looking at trees as a natural store of energy from the sun. The moment the wood is split, you are the first person to see inside the round. The smell of different woods as they are split. The anticipation of the first fire in the fall. However, it's the feeling of self reliance, and actually doing something about keeping warm in winter other than just pouring hard earned money into a utility company, that's probably the winner for us........

Yes, I'm nuts........ about burning wood.......... ;)
TY Woodchip, I hadn;t thought about being the first person to see the inside of a new split... interesting point!

AJ, I could not have said it any better. We are woodburners for only 3+ years now and I must admit it was not that long ago that I was one of those that "didn't get it". I just could not fathom why you would go thru all that work when you can just pick up the phone and order some oil. Well, when heating oil got to near $3/gallon I started to change my reasoning and knew I wasn't gonna support the oil industry much longer. We have lots of hardwood around here and after an education by these forums I decided to take the plunge. What I wasn't sure about is if I would consider firewood gathering a chore and maybe regret the decision. Now I wonder why I didn't make the change sooner. I look forward to getting out in the woods and cutting as much as my buddies look forward to deer season! One great plus for me that I didn't expect is the great sense of satsifaction that comes when I step back and look at the lastest tree all c/s/s'd!

IMany (most?) of my family, friends, and acquaintences seem a bit perplexed about it all. And that's ok. You either get it or you don't. I did run into a rural "neighbor" the other day who is into it also. We had quite a chat and it was nice. We concluded that we aren't crazy after all!! My wife gets that I enjoy it, though I'm not sure she understands exactly why, but she truly appreciates the wood burning process and even the cleaning and chores that come with it over the winter. So while she may only occasionally come with me into the woods, she gets it, and we make a good team. For that I am thankful.

-AJ

thanks aj for your post.

your post hit home in many ways, as has been said here.

one piece of it that really hit me was how lucky i am to have met my wife.
first off, she should be nominated for sainthood for putting up with me in the first place.
and...
she really enjoys kicking up her feet in front of the fire on a frigid winter night. she's incredibly fit for her age (or any age...christ she's 47 years old and her goal this year is to do handstand pushups!) and she loves to haul and split wood with me. when we go scrounging we can deadlift BIG rounds onto the tailgate together which saves me tons of time and effort from having to noodle the big rounds to get them loaded. she puts up with piles of bark and splinters and stacks all over the forest. she happily cleans up the dirt and dust that accumulates in the house in winter and she even indulges my preference to sleep in an unheated room. one night a few years ago (when it was cold) our bedroom was 28 degrees. but the living room and kitchen were 70. we NEVER turn on our central heat. i guess if we didn't burn wood we would join a gym or something.

OT

thanks aj for your post.

first off, she should be nominated for sainthood for putting up with me in the first place.
and...
she really enjoys kicking up her feet in front of the fire on a frigid winter night. she's incredibly fit for her age (or any age...christ she's 47 years old and her goal this year is to do handstand pushups!) and she loves to haul and split wood with me. when we go scrounging we can deadlift BIG rounds onto the tailgate together which saves me tons of time and effort from having to noodle the big rounds to get them loaded. she puts up with piles of bark and splinters and stacks all over the forest. she happily cleans up the dirt and dust that accumulates in the house in winter and she even indulges my preference to sleep in an unheated room. one night a few years ago (when it was cold) our bedroom was 28 degrees. but the living room and kitchen were 70. we NEVER turn on our central heat. i guess if we didn't burn wood we would join a gym or something.

OT

Wow.... Great read!

My Wife puts up with all my Chit too...... God Bless'em.

But a room at 28°!!! WTH? I see 3 stoves in your Sig (Home)? Why so Cold??????

My Wife is complaining at 70°!! I try and stay in the 72°-76° range.... She dont do wood.... (Basement stove) But she keeps the Pellet stove upstairs loaded and cranked if its cold!

Sleeping below 30° means you are both tough as Nails ;)

Wow.... Great read!

My Wife puts up with all my Chit too...... God Bless'em.

But a room at 28°!!! WTH? I see 3 stoves in your Sig (Home)? Why so Cold??????

My Wife is complaining at 70°!! I try and stay in the 72°-76° range.... She dont do wood.... (Basement stove) But she keeps the Pellet stove upstairs loaded and cranked if its cold!

Sleeping below 30° means you are both tough as Nails ;)

we leave the windows open just in that one room. we could store meat in there.

Reactions: DexterDay
we leave the windows open just in that one room. we could store meat in there.
Hmmm...I like my cold bedroom, but I ain't sharing it with strung up chickens and sides of beef.;)

Reactions: Gary_602z
thanks aj for your post.

and...

OT
Sounds like you two make a pretty good team too. We look forward to burning in the fall, and by the time March/ April and spring rolls around, we're ready for a break. We both like our sleeping quarters a bit cool and having our bedroom at the end of the house away from the stove allows it to remain comfortable, but holy moly, 28 degrees??!! I'm all for a cool room and snuggling, but 50-60 is cool enough for us!

AJS56:

Well said. As already ststed crazy people don't know they are crazy! "Hi I'm Taylor and I like to burn things" The enjoyment of it all and the saving money aspect, physical work, it's all part of the wornderful expierence we call Woodsmen.

TS

Well said !

There is nothing better than being outside, using big saws, managing my own heat and feeling like a real man. Heating with wood is good for the soul and great for exercise. I work in EMS, and after a long shift I love just getting out there and doing real manual work. Helps me unwind and my wife gets it :)

They will never understand us and why we do what we do. To me this is great hobby as you eloquently said, one that allows me to separate myself from the daily grind and stresses of my job. I fly a desk all week mostly programming or overseeing the daily operations of a technical help desk managing a group of 10 very different personalities. It also takes me away from the normal stresses of life. When I am in the woods or even in my back yard splitting or stacking, I feel an inner peace that no other hobby can do for me. I have tried different diversions to take me away from the mundane ranging from fishing, hiking, THE GYM but nothing comes close to the fulfillment I get from processing firewood. There is something very old fashioned about processing firewood that keeps me coming back. My wife says that I must have been a farmer or homesteader in a previous life and I always tell her, no, it is this lifetime that I wish i was a homesteader or farmer or country boy. I just havent reached my potential. Im sure that farm in North Dakota I so speak to her about is somewhere out there waiting for me. One day I will leave the NY metro area and live out my dream of having a nice size farm in ND. But till then the hills of NY will do just fine.
Loved your post.

Reactions: DexterDay
They will never understand us and why we do what we do. To me this is great hobby as you eloquently said, one that allows me to separate myself from the daily grind and stresses of my job. I fly a desk all week mostly programming or overseeing the daily operations of a technical help desk managing a group of 10 very different personalities. It also takes me away from the normal stresses of life. When I am in the woods or even in my back yard splitting or stacking, I feel an inner peace that no other hobby can do for me. I have tried different diversions to take me away from the mundane ranging from fishing, hiking, THE GYM but nothing comes close to the fulfillment I get from processing firewood. There is something very old fashioned about processing firewood that keeps me coming back. My wife says that I must have been a farmer or homesteader in a previous life and I always tell her, no, it is this lifetime that I wish i was a homesteader or farmer or country boy. I just havent reached my potential. Im sure that farm in North Dakota I so speak to her about is somewhere out there waiting for me. One day I will leave the NY metro area and live out my dream of having a nice size farm in ND. But till then the hills of NY will do just fine.
Loved your post.

Thank you katwill. I know about managing people and the stress of it. I am fortunate to be doing little or no managing in semi-retirement, and it is good to be here. I grew up and live in farm country and enjoy the rural life, but do not regret not having made my living in farming. Too many uncertainties and that would be too stressful for me! Nice post, and I hope you get a farm or a piece of that life one day!

Status
Not open for further replies.