Not bad for a day's work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
So I finally got around to renting a log splitter. I only had it for the day, so I worked straight through until I ran out of daylight. I got almost everything split except a few really wet large pieces. It's a combination of 3 year old hard to split stuff and the Swamp Maple that came down over the winter. I know I won't be burning the Maple any time soon, but how quickly can I expect the older stuff to dry out? I'm going to stack it really loose for optimum air flow.

Attachments

• Not bad for a day's work
    wood.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 388
Can't help you with the dry times, the consensus around here is about 2 years, once CSS for optimal burns. That said, I'm burning cherry tonight that seasoned in less than a year. Nice work though, that's a lot of splitting.

Yep, nothing like a good workout. Before I bought a splitter, I would either usa a Maul, or rent. The problem I had with the Maul was the beating my body took, then renting a splitter caused me to spend all day trying to split everything.....again, beating my body......since the purchase of the splitter, split when I can....well worth the cost.

So here is a FYI for the guys who rent a splitter here and there. If you pick it up saturday morning, most rental places around here are closed on sunday so you get sunday free. I would drop it off monday in the am.. you you get 2 days for a 1 day rental.
Thats a good looking splitter by the way and a nice pile, good for you for getting that done
Whats the MC of the wood you seasoning that your asking for the length of time it will take.. need to know what the starting MC is

So here is a FYI for the guys who rent a splitter here and there. If you pick it up saturday morning, most rental places around here are closed on sunday so you get sunday free. I would drop it off monday in the am.. you you get 2 days for a 1 day rental.
Pretty much what I would do....pick up at or after 3pm on Saturday (earliest), and drop off on Monday morning for a one day charge.....funny thing is, it was the guy behind the counter who turned me on to this.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Pretty much what I would do....pick up at or after 3pm on Saturday (earliest), and drop off on Monday morning for a one day charge.....funny thing is, it was the guy behind the counter who turned me on to this.

I dont rent alot of sutff.. i needed to rent a trencher for my trac machine and the guy behind the counter reminded me also.. picked it up at 8am saturday.. due 8am monday..most of the guys i run across are super helpful.. i brought it home and let my kid use it in the back yard.. he thought it was cool.. he told me it was like a chainsaw for the ground..

Reactions: Soundchasm
Yeah, I know about the 2 for 1 Saturday special. Too bad the weather was not cooperating. I woke up motivated to get this pile done and went to work. It is the Home Depot splitter. It was a beast, but I'm glad I didn't buy one. I got practically all of my pile done in the single day and don't have space for it anyway. I just don't split enough wood to justify the expense. I usually buy split cords. This was all round from my own trees that have come down over the past few years.

Also some rental places around here sell there equipment at the end of the season, my friend bought a iron & oak 20 ton fast cycle for $500.00, no work needed, even had new hydro oil and filter. I think he asked about purchasing one and the owner put his name on a list.

Wind is your friend for seasoning. Sun and wind is great. I have a lot of backup stacks, but I try and go three years for oak, locust and definitely Osage. Most everything else is usually good in two years.

Reactions: kennyp2339