Newbie with a used Englander 25 pdv about to cry!! Lol

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LuckyCrown

Jan 16, 2018
missouri
Can anyone help me, I'm near tears!! Just purchased this enormous stove to put in the basement hoping to heat the whole house, or at least help. Heat pump totally not cutting the mustard! I know nothing about pellet stoves, just know it was the easiest route for me right now. My question is, how do I get the most heat output? The unit is installed in a room approx 9x13 with the upstairs breezeway right there. I feel like it should at the very least be cooking that room, but I can stand in front of it and feel the warmth but the room it's just warm. It's 0 degrees outside, my house temp continually falling from 63 right now and that's with the heat pump struggling. My settings are 4/6/1 on bottom and 7-9 top two. I've burned almost full bag in 15 hrs.
Just feel like I'm missing out on some heat with this big of a stove?
Englander 25 PDV manuf. 11/11
Yes, oak installed.
Any help is appreciated, I'm cold!!

Your bottom 3 numbers should be 6-4-1. But those numbers are only for low heat settings 1&2. This is the second PDV in 2 days that isn’t putting out heat.i would get on the phone to england stove tech line and explain to them what is happening.

Can anyone help me, I'm near tears!! Just purchased this enormous stove to put in the basement hoping to heat the whole house, or at least help. Heat pump totally not cutting the mustard! I know nothing about pellet stoves, just know it was the easiest route for me right now. My question is, how do I get the most heat output? The unit is installed in a room approx 9x13 with the upstairs breezeway right there. I feel like it should at the very least be cooking that room, but I can stand in front of it and feel the warmth but the room it's just warm. It's 0 degrees outside, my house temp continually falling from 63 right now and that's with the heat pump struggling. My settings are 4/6/1 on bottom and 7-9 top two. I've burned almost full bag in 15 hrs.
Just feel like I'm missing out on some heat with this big of a stove?
Englander 25 PDV manuf. 11/11
Yes, oak installed.
Any help is appreciated, I'm cold!!
There are a few questions first. How is it vented? Straight thru the wall ? Is there any vertical pipe?. How long is the vent pipe. Venting on these stoves is critical. Next question is how is it burning? Is it a lazy flame? Should be a bright energetic flame almost like a small blast furnace. What brand pellets? My pdv only like certain brands for heat. I can never seem to get heat out of the others. Lastly off the top of my head , check the hopper restricter plate in the bottom of the hopper. It’s adjustable. I usually keep mine about 3/4 open in the cold winter. And crank it up . When mine was in the basement I always had to run aleast 8-9 or above. Research burn pot mods for the pdv 25 they really help. Mine is cranking close to 450 -500 deg if I push it

Your bottom 3 numbers should be 6-4-1. But those numbers are only for low heat settings 1&2. This is the second PDV in 2 days that isn’t putting out heat.i would get on the phone to england stove tech line and explain to them what is happening.

Thank you, I was hoping it might be an easy operator error!!

There are a few questions first. How is it vented? Straight thru the wall ? Is there any vertical pipe?. How long is the vent pipe. Venting on these stoves is critical. Next question is how is it burning? Is it a lazy flame? Should be a bright energetic flame almost like a small blast furnace. What brand pellets? My pdv only like certain brands for heat. I can never seem to get heat out of the others. Lastly off the top of my head , check the hopper restricter plate in the bottom of the hopper. It’s adjustable. I usually keep mine about 3/4 open in the cold winter. And crank it up . When mine was in the basement I always had to run aleast 8-9 or above. Research burn pot mods for the pdv 25 they really help. Mine is cranking close to 450 -500 deg if I push it

My profile pic is my stove install, looks to be about 4 feet of vertical pipe and then out the wall with a short less than 2 ft extended with exit vent. Flame looks good, I mean I guess, I don't know what it's supposed to look like, but it seems healthy and bright. I have pur heat pellets, all I could find to get me started last night. And as far as the hopper, my stove is running so I can't check that.
Thanks for the help!

Lots of pdv & pdvc users here. Im at work right now and Lunch is over but there are many that will pipe in im sure.

Who knows it still could be operator error. But listen to Ssyko he knows what he’s talking about. He has helped me a few times.

(800) 245-6489 Tech support

Reactions: LuckyCrown
Just my 2 thoughts here but I would shut down and check the restricter plate and if it’s closed to 1/2 or under open it up. If mine is restricted I can’t produce heat. Secondly while it’s down plug the two holes under the burn plate by placing magnets over them or buying electrical knock out plugs from Home Depot. Which is what I did. That will push more air through the pellets to produce more heat. And before you start back up check to make sure you are in mode C not D . Do a internet search on how it’s easy to check and only takes a few minutes. I’m sure others will chime in. If you call Englander they will help to

Reactions: Hot Foot
Just my 2 thoughts here but I would shut down and check the restricter plate and if it’s closed to 1/2 or under open it up. If mine is restricted I can’t produce heat. Secondly while it’s down plug the two holes under the burn plate by placing magnets over them or buying electrical knock out plugs from Home Depot. Which is what I did. That will push more air through the pellets to produce more heat. And before you start back up check to make sure you are in mode C not D . Do a internet search on how it’s easy to check and only takes a few minutes. I’m sure others will chime in. If you call Englander they will help to

I hate to shut it down it's so cold out but I guess I will try it. Thanks again
Also, is the vent pipe supposed to get hot? Am I losing my heat there?

Perform a Control Board Reset as follows .....

Do this when the stove is cold.(recommended) i have done it while its warm.
Unplug the stove from the power outlet.

Plug the power lead back in.

You must press and hold the bottom 3 buttons all at the same time within 4 seconds and wait 5 seconds and then release buttons.

Wait 5 - 10 seconds for the F5 readout display to go blank.

Unplug power lead - wait 5 seconds

Setting the Heat Mode
Heat Mode, the default setting is 'd' for the 25-PDVC, and for the 25-PDV it is 'c', but some control boards default to 'A' when a reset is done. Do not run the stove in 'A' or 'b' mode.
Unplug the stove from the wall
Plug power lead back in and press both the up and down blower speed buttons at the same time within 4 - 5 seconds and then release the buttons, you should now see a letter (A, b, c or d) in the left or right digital display under heat range or blower setting, you need to change this to 'd' or 'c' using the up / down buttons below that readout, or in case of the 25-PDV you need to use both buttons up or down, once set to 'd' or 'c' wait 10 - 15 seconds then unplug the power again and wait 5 seconds. (Sometimes the mode that you want does not set and defaults back to the mode that it was in before, repeat this step to make sure the mode that you want is set)

While you have it down give it a good cleanout

While you have it down give it a good cleanout

Called England stove, they said all numbers seem fine and seems vented correctly. They said concrete for are not good for placing stove. I never read that in all my reading before I purchased the stove. I'm so frustrated I feel like I just threw a 1,000 out the window! I could have bought a fancy electric fireplace and got the same results I'm having. And saved 700.

I hate to shut it down it's so cold out but I guess I will try it. Thanks again
Also, is the vent pipe supposed to get hot? Am I losing my heat there?
My pipe gets hot and you do loose a certain amount of heat up the pipe.
Called England stove, they said all numbers seem fine and seems vented correctly. They said concrete for are not good for placing stove. I never read that in all my reading before I purchased the stove. I'm so frustrated I feel like I just threw a 1,000 out the window! I could have bought a fancy electric fireplace and got the same results I'm having. And saved 700.
i can tell you unfinished basement is not the best but it works. I had mine in an unfinished basement in an old drafty house . And I used it as my only source of heat . You just need to figure out why your not getting the heat output. Mine blasts the heat

My pipe gets hot and you do loose a certain amount of heat up the pipe.

i can tell you unfinished basement is not the best but it works. I had mine in an unfinished basement in an old drafty house . And I used it as my only source of heat . You just need to figure out why your not getting the heat output. Mine blasts the heat

That's somewhat encouraging!! Lol my basement is finished, brand new windows, just missing some paint on the walls. I'd guess 6-700 sf max. I don't know what to do. I haven't been home to shut down and try screwing it up some more by re setting.!! Thanks for the input.

I own a PDV that is a cellar dweller in an unfinished cement basement. To get the most heat / burn you first need to make sure you are in mode C. This will increase the pellet feed rate. Second, buy some round magnets to plug the left and right holes in the bottom of the burnpot left and right. This will force more air up through the pellets for a hotter burn. Lastly, I would consider blocking off the wear plate holes around the central burn plate area. I use stove cement for this. You'll start to notice that the flame mainly burns in the center / back of the burn pot. Ash gathers all around that center. Blocking the holes around that circle, will force all the air up through that center, again increasing the intensity of the flame. My stove temp at the door is always between 500 and 600 degrees in cold weather. The flame looks like a blast furnace. The type of pellets you're burning, how the stove is vented and frequency of ash maintenance are also major factors.

Last edited:
Newbie with a used Englander 25 pdv about to cry!! Lol

I own a PDV that is a cellar dweller in an unfinished cement basement. To get the most heat / burn you first need to make sure you are in mode C. This will increase the pellet feed rate. Second, buy some round magnets to plug the left and right holes in the bottom of the burnpot left and right. This will force more air up through the pellets for a hotter burn. Lastly, down the road I would consider blocking off the wear plate holes around the central burn plate area. I use stove cement for this. You'll start to notice that the flame mainly burns in the center / back of the burn pot. Ash gathers all around that center. Blocking the holes around that circle, will force all the air up through that center, again increasing the intensity of the flame. My stove temp at the door is always between 500 and 600 degrees in cold weather. The type of pellets you're burning, how the stove is vented and the ash maintenance for the stove are also factors.

That's great info, thanks, I took the others advice as well and shut the stove down to check the heat mode. Still waiting on the shut down process, and waiting for the stove to cool. When you say your temp at the door is 5-600, is that inside the door? I'm new to this, so that sounds really hot for a surface. What are your 3 bottom buttons set at? I've set nice at 641 per this thread advice.

That's great info, thanks, I took the others advice as well and shut the stove down to check the heat mode. Still waiting on the shut down process, and waiting for the stove to cool. When you say your temp at the door is 5-600, is that inside the door? I'm new to this, so that sounds really hot for a surface. What are your 3 bottom buttons set at? I've set nice at 641 per this thread advice.
That is outside the door, just above it. Mine runs like that to. The bottom 3 numbers mean nothing when your running above heat setting 2 . They are only for setting 1+2

I place a magnetic stove thermometer on the door steel, to the right of the glass. This gives me an idea as to how hot the steel is to avoid overfire. My bottom settings are left to right 6-4-1, but they only effect burn rates 1&2.

I place a magnetic stove thermometer on the door steel, to the right of the glass. This gives me an idea as to how hot the steel is to avoid overfire. My bottom settings are left to right 6-4-1, but they only effect burn rates 1&2.

Ok, I think the stove may have been in a mode,, praying cuz I want this to work!! Changed to c mode, cleaned the pot best i could with limited tools right now... Restarting the stove. Could you post a pic next time ur cleaning of the holes you said to plug? Thanks for the all the help, to everyone, I don't know how to post without responding to a thread!! Single mom here with limited abilities altho they seem to be getting broader and broader.. Last week I changed a breaker!! Lol

Ok, I think the stove may have been in a mode,, praying cuz I want this to work!! Changed to c mode, cleaned the pot best i could with limited tools right now... Restarting the stove. Could you post a pic next time ur cleaning of the holes you said to plug? Thanks for the all the help, to everyone, I don't know how to post without responding to a thread!! Single mom here with limited abilities altho they seem to be getting broader and broader.. Last week I changed a breaker!! Lol
The holes are under the burn plate that sits in the burn pot. Lift the plate out and look down in . There will be one to the left and one to the right. There is also a big one straight back. That is your cold air supply. Just cover or plug the hole to the L+R of the big hole. It’s that simple

Reactions: LuckyCrown