Newbie Questions!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishing_ninja

Nov 11, 2016
ontario
Hey guys I have been reading alot on this site and found alot of great if so I will lay out my scenario for you guys and I think you will be able to help me out.<br So here's the issue. I am a total newbie to fireplaces. I have an old crappy fireplace I would like to change out for a more efficient one I picked up. Newbie Questions!
It is a prefab fireplace I believe. Newbie Questions!
This is the one I want to put in. My question now is what do I need to do to make this work.
Right now there is no hearth but the opening has a metal liner. I beleive it is directly on the sub floor. Can I pour a hearth inside the liner to achieve the requirements for masonary under the stove? I understand I might need to change the pipe aswell depending on what is there right now. Also the new stove is 31" hight and the opening is 36". I will need to raise it one way or the other. Can this be done and pass an inspection?
Or am I crazy?

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

So basically is there any way to use a hearthmount stove in a non masonary fireplace opening and still be accepted?

Sorry, don't think so. What is this insert's make/model?

Thx. The label says it right up front - install in masonry fireplace only

Thank you. I did see that , I was wondering if there was any way to make it work. Thanks for the help. I will be back when I find a suitable insert

It's very possible that an insert will not be allowed in the ZC fireplace. Look in the manual to see. If that is the case then another option would be to put a rear vent stove in front, extend the hearth and hook it up to a full liner up the ZC chimney.

That looks like it was designed for a masonry fireplace, slammer installation with no direct connection to the chimney. It is no longer allowed. What's the opening height of your fireplace?

Apparently it does have a chimney connection at the back because it can be used as a free standing or insert.
But only 7" of the stove is actually inserted
36x41is the opening I will have

This is a wood fireplace correct? With the top of the door opening at 36"?
What is the make and model of the fireplace? It's often listed inside of the doorframe on a small metal tag.

What I need is the ZC fireplace door opening size and the height of the door opening from the hearth, not this stove's. Knowing the ZC fireplace brand is also important. The manual for it will state whether an insert is allowed or not. And it will have details like the chimney pipe used.

Tearing out the old ZC fireplace is an option, but a much larger undertaking. Search for other threads here that show the process.

Can't locate the manual, but at least it has class A HT chimney. What is the height from the hearth to the top of the ZC fireplace door opening?

Newbie Questions!Newbie Questions!

Would a set up like this be acceptable?
Into the zero clearance?
Be green Thanks for the help so far you are a saint.
I'm not against pulling the entire ZC out and building an alcove if needed.

I don't have a copy of the manual. The diagram is for a masonry fireplace. It shows a direct connect. Does the manual itself say that the stove must be installed in a masonry fireplace?

the manual does not say it needs to be in a masonary fireplace.
I will have the entire manual this evening.

First off have you had your fireplace throughly inspected to make sure it is installed correctly and is in good working order. I only ask because zeroclearance fireplaces like yours really only have a 15 to 20 year expected lifespan. And if it is deteriorated it cannot be used at all.

I have not had it inspected but the fireplace was never used. I used it 10-15 times in the past 3 years. It looks in good shape to me and I'm a welding inspector

I have not had it inspected but the fireplace was never used. I used it 10-15 times in the past 3 years. It looks in good shape to me.
Just because it was not used does not mean the weather has not gotten to it or that it was installed properly to begin with. We see way to many that were not installed with proper clearances to begin with. How did you inspect it? Did you pull the chase cover and look down the chase to look for proper clearances did you pull the top and bottom vent covers and check for deterioration?

Status
Not open for further replies.